Florida football history...

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
I think I've discussed this before but they aren't that great outside of Spurrier and Meyer. First SEC title in 1991. They had the luxury of playing in the SEC East with McElwain, Muschamp and even Mullen when they won their other division titles.

Florida Gators College Football History, Stats, Records | College Football at Sports-Reference.com

Florida Gators football - Wikipedia
Does any history really matter before 1991 in regards to today’s outlook? Or even 2001? Where was LSU at that same time? They were in the midst of a 30 year run where they only won 2 SEC championships - with teams that went 9-3 / 8-4, in the pre SECCG era.

Florida has 3 national titles under 2 different coaches in the past 30 years. Not a lot of programs can say that. Michigan, Georgia, Ohio State, Texas, Oklahoma, and Alabama are among the names of schools who actually can’t say that. As you stated, every coach they’ve had except Napier (so far) has won or at least tied for the SEC East title at least once. That includes Ron Zook, Jim McElwain, Muschamp, and Mullen.

Mjoelner

Sep 2, 2006
If I'm not mistaken, up until very recently they rarely (if ever) played a non-SEC game outside the state of Florida except for bowl games. Must be nice to play 8 games in your home state every year.

MStateDawg

Aug 3, 2021
Here's another good link to reference where they stand nationally.
  • 17th all time in winning percentage.
  • 14th in bowl game appearances
  • 20th in all-time wins
  • 12th in weeks ranked in AP Poll

Interesting fact: The state of Florida's population was smaller than Mississippi was up until the early 1940s. Once conditioned air became a thing, people began flocking down there.

patdog

May 28, 2007
If I'm not mistaken, up until very recently they rarely (if ever) played a non-SEC game outside the state of Florida except for bowl games. Must be nice to play 8 games in your home state every year.
When you're playing FSU every year and Miami occasionally, not sure any other SEC school has too much room to talk trash about your OOC schedule.

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022
Does any history really matter before 1991 in regards to today’s outlook? Or even 2001? Where was LSU at that same time? They were in the midst of a 30 year run where they only won 2 SEC championships - with teams that went 9-3 / 8-4, in the pre SECCG era.

Florida has 3 national titles under 2 different coaches in the past 30 years. Not a lot of programs can say that. Michigan, Georgia, Ohio State, Texas, Oklahoma, and Alabama are among the names of schools who actually can’t say that. As you stated, every coach they’ve had except Napier (so far) has won or at least tied for the SEC East title at least once. That includes Ron Zook, Jim McElwain, Muschamp, and Mullen.
Well if you’re in the camp that history doesn’t matter before 1991, then MSU is a pretty solid football program, outside of the Croom era.

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
I think I've discussed this before but they aren't that great outside of Spurrier and Meyer. First SEC title in 1991. They had the luxury of playing in the SEC East with McElwain, Muschamp and even Mullen when they won their other division titles.

Florida Gators College Football History, Stats, Records | College Football at Sports-Reference.com

Spurrier was such a good coach. In 12 seasons, his worst SEC winning percentage was 75%. In 56 seasons as an SEC team before Spurrier, Florida's SEC winning percentage was 75% or better five times.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
Does any history really matter before 1991 in regards to today’s outlook? Or even 2001?
Ole Miss fans reading this

Nervous The Big Bang Theory GIF

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022

I think they'll just done a bad job of hiring coaches. I mean I understand Zook - he coached under Spurrier and he was promoted from within a successful program. What I don't get is going with Muschump after Urban. McElwain wasn't a good fit, neither was Mullen, and now Bubba was just dumb. None of those last four fit was Florida typically is and typically recruits - which is speed.

They probably should have hired Mike Leach after they fired Urban. Or had his heart problems, whatever it was.

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
We had won more SEC championships than Florida had before Spurrier arrived. He completely resurrected that program. It seems like 80% of their success came since 1991 when Spurrier arrived.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Well if you’re in the camp that history doesn’t matter before 1991, then MSU is a pretty solid football program, outside of the Croom era.
Outside of the Croom era….and the last 3 years of Sherrill, and 3 other Sherrill years. And 2016. And 2019. And 2023.

So yeah, other than the facts that we’ve totally sucked 1 out of every 3 years on average, have never finished in the Top 10, and have never won a national title or SEC title, and have only finished over .500 in league play 3 times in 33 years….we’re a really good program thats basically equal to Florida****

Mobile Bay

Jul 26, 2020
  • 20th in all-time wins

Interesting fact: The state of Florida's population was smaller than Mississippi was up until the early 1940s. Once conditioned air became a thing, people began flocking down there.
Flaglers railroad had a lot more to do with that

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
  • 20th in all-time wins

soccer flamingo GIF

Bulldawg77

Dec 1, 2019
I think they'll just done a bad job of hiring coaches. I mean I understand Zook - he coached under Spurrier and he was promoted from within a successful program. What I don't get is going with Muschump after Urban. McElwain wasn't a good fit, neither was Mullen, and now Bubba was just dumb. None of those last four fit was Florida typically is and typically recruits - which is speed.

They probably should have hired Mike Leach after they fired Urban. Or had his heart problems, whatever it was.
Goat your ignorance show every single time you post. Zook had been on SS staff 91-95 but had been in the NFL since 96 season and was the saints DC when he took the UF job. He wasn’t promoted from within.

Reactions: VegasDawg13

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022
Outside of the Croom era….and the last 3 years of Sherrill, and 3 other Sherrill years. And 2016. And 2019. And 2023.

So yeah, other than the facts that we’ve totally sucked 1 out of every 3 years on average, have never finished in the Top 10, and have never won a national title or SEC title, and have only finished over .500 in league play 3 times in 33 years….we’re a really good program thats basically equal to Florida****
My favorite pastime on this board is to say something remotely positive about Mississippi State, and then watch losers like you squirm because it irritates you so much.

Bulldawg77

Dec 1, 2019
My favorite pastime on this board is to say something remotely positive about Mississippi State, and then watch losers like you squirm because it irritates you so much.
I agree. There are several in here that openly cheer or openly post negative BS about state every chance they get. Not sure when it became cool to **** on your so called favorite team as an MSU fan. They must be miserable every day to spout the garbage and negativity they do in this board. It’s pathetic really

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003

VegasDawg13

Jun 11, 2007
"I love to say stupid **** and then watch losers point out that it's stupid... Owned their asses..."

NWADawg

May 4, 2016
I the late 80's or so, State played a "home" game or 2 in Gainesville. They just bought it from us.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I the late 80's or so, State played a "home" game or 2 in Gainesville. They just bought it from us.
We played one “home” game in Jacksonville & one in Tampa. This was just before Fogelsang hired Jackie Sherrill & saved MSU football.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
I agree. There are several in here that openly cheer or openly post negative BS about state every chance they get. Not sure when it became cool to **** on your so called favorite team as an MSU fan. They must be miserable every day to spout the garbage and negativity they do in this board. It’s pathetic really
At least they take a timeout occasionally to obsess over UM.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Several years ago, didn't Florida play a home football game against LSU because of a hurricane and the LSU band played their fight song when they scored?

Feb 4, 2015
I just cant wait till Florida hires Kiffin as their next coach. Been saying it for a couple of years now and I believe they will go after him hard because they have made bad coaching hires over the years and are ready to move forward. Knowing Fla, they will make him the highest paid coach in america and ol turd cant compete with that. They should have went after him while he was FAU as he would be a perfect fit there with the offense he runs. Nothing will tickle me more than when he leaves and the punks up north will be crying.

Villagedawg

Nov 16, 2005

We had won more SEC championships than Florida had before Spurrier arrived. He completely resurrected that program. It seems like 80% of their success came since 1991 when Spurrier arrived.
They won one in 1984 but got the probation ban. So one each to that point.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
Last edited:
Reactions: patdog

Villagedawg

Nov 16, 2005

At the risk of going off topic, that site will make you waste an afternoon. Here is what I ended up looking at. SEC Championships (at least a share) pre-1965 (32 years) and post-1965 (59 years). I'm loosely calling post 1965 the modern era.

Before 1965 Alabama had 7
Ole Miss 6
Tennessee 6
Georgia Tech 5
LSU 4
UGA 4
Tulane 3
MSU 1
Auburn 1
9 of 13 teams over roughly 32 years and no one pulled way ahead of the top 4 or 5.

1965-present
Alabama 24
Florida 9
UGA 8
LSU 8
Tennessee 7
Auburn 6
Kentucky 1
MSU 0
Ole Miss 0
Vandy 0
USC 0*
Arkansas 0*
Mizzou 0**
A&M 0**

* Short timers
**Very short timers
Everyone else has zero.

7 teams and Alabama has 38% of them and clearly pulled way away after Bryant got it rolling. Not sure it really means anything, and I knew Bama was dominate. I was just kinda surprised how dominate.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012

We are a below average SEC team and also a pretty solid football program. NIL may change this, but basically we're on the same level as about 40 other teams outside of the bluebloods and teams like A&M, which have enough money to raise their floor but haven't quite made it to blue blood status.

Good when we have a good coach, but very unlikely to win a championship. That's basically us, Arkansas, USCe, and UM and I guess Missou in the SEC. Nobody in the ACC can claim to be better except FSU and Clemson and I guess Miami even if their success is a little old at this point.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login