Food in Dayton

AFDawg

Apr 28, 2010
Skyline Chili is an experience. Not necessarily a good experience, but definitely an experience. I don't not recommend it.

On the other hand, the Dublin Pub is excellent.

Not food--but the Air Force museum is outstanding.

Last edited:

RockyDog

Jan 2, 2023
Skyline Chili is an experience. Not necessarily a good experience, but definitely an experience. I don't not recommend it.

On the other hand, the Dublin Pub is excellent.

Not food--but the Air Force museum is outstanding.
I co-oped at a chem plant there in the 90s. A lot of the plant management and corporate folks were MSU people. Lots of things to do in that area, close to Cincy. But the city still had a Southern vibe. The AF museum is amazing, I agree.

Reactions: Cantdoitsal

Raiderdawg

Sep 28, 2022
Cincinnati chili is many things. It’s not chili.

You take that back! I love Skyline chilli. Same for LaRosa - definitely a Cincy thing. My wife is from that area so we hit both every time we go up to see the in-laws. Skyline and Gold Star are acquired tastes.

On a side note, If anyone is driving/flying through Cincinnati on the way Dayton and wants a cold one, stop by Northern Row. My wife’s uncle is the co-owner. It’s a pretty good brewery/distillery with decent food. It’s right beside Rhinegiest and you can pub crawl the area.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
Dayton Stuff to remember Dayton by: Skyline Chili. Fine with a hotdog but get it with spaghetti and cheese and onions Give it a shot. It's not what we think of as chili because it has cloves and cinnamon and other spices Greeks decided to use in their "chili." Boosalis bakery. Good pastries especially croissants and try the Kouign-amann for something really sweet but good. Marion's Pizza. All of these are near the arena.. Pasha Grill for Turkish/Mediterranean (get the Iskender or Lamb Adana). Turkish food is good. A couple of breweries if you're into that. Dublin Pub. The food is fine and you can get a Guinness, a Smithwicks (smitticks), and a Harp depending on what you feel like drinking. There are other beers but stay Irish. Plus, go to the Air Force Museum. Don't miss out on that museum. It's outstanding and give yourself a couple of hours. I kinda wish I didn't know so much about Dayton, but I'll be back there in a month.

Reactions: AFDawg

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
You take that back! I love Skyline chilli. Same for LaRosa - definitely a Cincy thing. My wife is from that area so we hit both every time we go up to see the in-laws. Skyline and Gold Star are acquired tastes.

On a side note, If anyone is driving/flying through Cincinnati on the way Dayton and wants a cold one, stop by Northern Row. My wife’s uncle is the co-owner. It’s a pretty good brewery/distillery with decent food. It’s right beside Rhinegiest and you can pub crawl the area.
Yes to Rhinegeist. Too bad they no longer make some really good beers but yes go there. I'll have to try Northern Row. Looks like that place makes good beers with reasonable abv. Rhinegeist has a few potent ones.

dawgphd

May 16, 2008
I'll add to this question, what to do/eat n South Bend.

I'm doing both play-in games.

Raiderdawg

Sep 28, 2022
Yes to Rhinegeist. Too bad they no longer make some really good beers but yes go there. I'll have to try Northern Row. Looks like that place makes good beers with reasonable abv. Rhinegeist has a few potent ones.

Their gin and vodka won awards at the USA spirits competition last year. The Taste of Time is their best beer IMO, but they have a few decent ones.

I actually prefer NR to Rhinegeist, but I am completely biased. I helped set up something’s at NR and was offered a brewer/distiller job there. That area is definitively worth a stop if passing through

Reactions: Podgy

KentuckyDawg13

Aug 15, 2006

Warped Wing Brewery is the place to go. Inlaws lived in Dayton for awhile, went there quite a bit.

Skyline Chili is trash. It's here in Louisville too.

dickiedawg

Feb 22, 2008
I'll add to this question, what to do/eat n South Bend.

I'm doing both play-in games.
Same. Couldn't turn down a chance to do both.
Notre Dame will be neat to visit, and who knows when we'll have another excuse to do so.

ETA: Won't have a ton of time in South Bend unfortunately.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I saw a Cincinnnati Chili recipe the other day, and I think I'd like it. But I don't like regular chili, so there's that.

Polygonal

Sep 29, 2014
My company has an office in Dayton. I’m on the way there now for a “work trip”.

Food in Dayton:

- The Pine Club - regular top 5 steak in the country, takes cash only, old school

- Wheat Penny Oven & Bar - really good pizza and great beer menu

If you can only hit one… The Pine Club is the choice.

dawgphd

May 16, 2008
Same. Couldn't turn down a chance to do both.
Notre Dame will be neat to visit, and who knows when we'll have another excuse to do so.

ETA: Won't have a ton of time in South Bend unfortunately.
Do you know where the team is staying in either city?

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022

Texas Chili never needs rookies to get acquired. It's good from the beginning to end.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login