Food in Hattiesburg

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
So what IS the deal with Ward’s? There was one over in Olive Branch WAY back in the day for a very brief stint. Only thing I remember is drinking root beer out of a frozen mug. Are they a child of H’Burg?
Yes.

Here’s a Robert St. John article about Ward’s, the family, and their history (yeah, I know, Clarion-Ledger)

vhdawg

Sep 29, 2004
Before the day gets going with sports, y’all give me a good place to eat in Hattiesburg tonight. We usually eat once at Walk-On’s, which we just did, and we’ve been to Crescent City Grill and liked it. Y’all got similar places you’d recommend down here? It will just be my wife and I….my son will still be with the indoor percussion group.

On a side note…. if any of y’all are associated with South Jones high school, let me tip my hat to you. Y’all take really good care of our band kids when we come down here for competition. As a parent, I know how much time that takes and I really appreciate it.
Ed's is great, but I'm going down there for a couple days in a couple weeks, so I'm interested to read this.

Mar 3, 2008
Gratefull Soul
Midtowner
Compadres
Triangle Seafood
Porter House
GoldPost
Keg & Barrel
Topher's (but just breakfast)
Great full soul is so good nobody even cares the people waiting in line have their butt in your face. Triangle has the best fried shrimp Po boy I’ve ever had. Taco shop by sidelines is great too and if you like that go down to Edwards st and try 3 amigos. They the two best in tuffburg.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
Is Ed’s good? Just taking a trip down there soon and was wondering. Obviously I tend to enjoy spicier food.
Ed's is a no for me. It's a kid joint really. Thin double meat burgers with whatever on them. Any burger joint serving thin double meat patties is crap in my book. Keg is a million times better burger. Not even remotely close. But kids, they'll love Ed's. Ed's does make a decent shake.
I would agree with the Thai place. It's fantastic. Murky Waters is good (pricey). Midtowner and/or Tophers for breakfast is a good call. The Porter is a cool place downtown for drinks and freak watching. Keg East is the best place in Hburg to eat and drink IMO. But Keg West has the best selection of oysters from all over the country and Canada if you like oysters.
The other places mentioned are not bad places per se. Coney has their greasy spoon thing. Grateful Soul is a solid blue plate type lunch. The Depot and The old Bagel shop downtown are good breakfast. Triangle has a good shrimp po boy. Mario's and Tabella are both solid Italian. Crescent City is always good. I prefer Sky Sushi for that kinda food. Fat Boys pizza is a kid joint. Hattiesburg has so many options it's easy. Hard to name them all.
Equinox for coffee IMO.

Last edited:

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Ed's is a no for me. It's a kid joint really. Thin double meat burgers with whatever on them. Any burger joint serving thin double meat patties is crap in my book. Keg is a million times better burger. Not even remotely close. But kids, they'll love Ed's. Ed's does make a decent shake.
I would agree with the Thai place. It's fantastic. Murky Waters is good (pricey). Midtowner and/or Tophers for breakfast is a good call. The Porter is a cool place downtown for drinks and freak watching. Keg East is the best place in Hburg to eat and drink IMO. But Keg West has the best selection of oysters from all over the country and Canada if you like oysters.
The other places mentioned are not bad places per se. Coney has their greasy spoon thing. Grateful Soul is a solid blue plate type lunch. The Depot and The old Bagel shop downtown are good breakfast. Triangle has a good shrimp po boy. Mario's and Tabella are both solid Italian. Crescent City is always good. I prefer Sky Sushi for that kinda food. Fat Boys pizza is a kid joint. Hattiesburg has so many options it's easy. Hard to name them all.
Equinox for coffee IMO.

Ed's doesn't do a great job with this style but it's a good style. If I had to pick, I'd go with something more like Keg and Barrel's, but the smash burger type is good also when it's done right.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login