Football recruiting expenses by conference.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
In no surprise, MSU is last in the SEC.

I read this somewhere else and what I learned is that if we spent another million on recruiting we would recruit pretty much where we do now bc our 5 yr average and OMs are almost identical.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
In no surprise, MSU is last in the SEC.

I guess the one thing I never thought about is transportation. We recruit a regional footprint which I assume we drive to many homes and games. Some of the national recruiters are flying from Florida to California and all points in between which I’m sure racks up some pretty hefty expenses.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Some of those numbers are just wrong. This happens every time schools report any athletic dept revenues or expenses. It's obvious there are some major differences in how schools classify and report financial information. And I wouldn't be surprised if there's not a lot of intentionally misleading (I'm stopping just short of saying fraudulent) information published. There is just no way LSU is next to last in recruiting expenses.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
Some of those numbers are just wrong. This happens every time schools report any athletic dept revenues or expenses. It's obvious there are some major differences in how schools classify and report financial information. And I wouldn't be surprised if there's not a lot of intentionally misleading (I'm stopping just short of saying fraudulent) information published. There is just no way LSU is next to last in recruiting expenses.
I'm not saying you're wrong, but LSU's numbers don't surprise me. In any year, an "all Nawlins" team could play for a national championship. Tons of talent in their backyard.

UGA has ATL, but there isn't as much "stay at home" sentiment there because of so many transient families. Plus everyone in the southeast is hammering metro ATL because you can visit 100 4-5 star kids in a 30-mile radius. UGA is finally recruiting nationally now that Kirby is there.

The most ignorant numbers are aTm's. My god what a waste of money. On recruiting, coaching and you know NIL.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I guess the one thing I never thought about is transportation. We recruit a regional footprint which I assume we drive to many homes and games. Some of the national recruiters are flying from Florida to California and all points in between which I’m sure racks up some pretty hefty expenses.
Exactly. Same as LSU. It's both of our biggest advantage, obviously much moreso for LSU since they are alone in-state with more talent in-state.

It's an advantage we must continue to use. There's just no reason for us to spend more money on recruiting out-of-state, we aren't gonna land the prospects anyway.

It takes one of two things to build the brand needed to SUCCESSFULLY recruit nationally:

1) Years of sustained high-level winning (not just bowl games) above your head;
2) Getting lucky with a coach and a couple of players and winning a title, which then gives you added brand power for 20-25 years.

Reactions: MaroonSadness99

QMartinez

Jan 17, 2023
Exactly. Same as LSU. It's both of our biggest advantage, obviously much moreso for LSU since they are alone in-state with more talent in-state.

It's an advantage we must continue to use. There's just no reason for us to spend more money on recruiting out-of-state, we aren't gonna land the prospects anyway.

It takes one of two things to build the brand needed to SUCCESSFULLY recruit nationally:

1) Years of sustained high-level winning (not just bowl games) above your head;
2) Getting lucky with a coach and a couple of players and winning a title, which then gives you added brand power for 20-25 years.
It’s not the same. LSU will always get their top in State talent. take a look at our top 20 instate talent this year and where they are going, we can’t keep them in state. we have to be able to recruit out of state.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
It’s not the same. LSU will always get their top in State talent. take a look at our top 20 instate talent this year and where they are going, we can’t keep them in state. we have to be able to recruit out of state.
You missed the point.

We have the highest chances of signing the highest rated talent, inside Mississippi.

And of course we "have to be able to recruit out of state". But defining the level at which we do this, is a bit tougher to do. Especially now, when the strategy used to be Alabama, Tennessee and Louisiana (and a few other areas). At the first chance, those guys now jump in the portal to go to the home schools. So....we also have to have a portal strategy.

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
Yep, OM will get some with their improved NIL money and the blue chip programs will steal the rest. This doesn't include the bag men money.

QMartinez

Jan 17, 2023
Louisiana produces a blue chip deep crop of talent every year, we might have one every five years. Of that talent we get raided by the blue bloods who have much more NIL money and then ole miss gets their share. LSU gets the top players every year. I don’t see the similarity. We have to be able to recruit out of state.

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Every recruiting visit Oregon makes involves a plan ride. We can recruit a 8-5/9-4 team all with in an 8 hour car ride. And the 8 hour is only for Atl/East Texas kids.

Reactions: thatsbaseball

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Louisiana produces a blue chip deep crop of talent every year, we might have one every five years. Of that talent we get raided by the blue bloods who have much more NIL money and then ole miss gets their share. LSU gets the top players every year. I don’t see the similarity. We have to be able to recruit out of state.
Well we certainly know you can't, or won't, think beyond surface level.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
There's just no reason for us to spend more money on recruiting out-of-state, we aren't gonna land the prospects anyway.

I agreed with most of what you said up until this point.

In recent years, many of the state's top recruits signed scholarships with out of state schools.

We discussed this a year and a half ago when talking about a 2021 Athletic article on Mississippi recruiting:

It changed this year though four of the state's top five recruits signed in-state (two for State & two for Ole Miss):

That said, State still needs to be present and look out of state too.

Reactions: QMartinez

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I agreed with most of what you said up until this point.

In recent years, many of the state's top recruits signed scholarships with out of state schools.

We discussed this a year and a half ago when talking about a 2021 Athletic article on Mississippi recruiting:

It changed this year though four of the state's top five recruits signed in-state (two for State & two for Ole Miss):

That said, State still needs to be present and look out of state too.
There’s no trend there. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don’t, and it’s often directly correlated to how hard MSU and Ole Miss recruit them.

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
As I have written in the past, this is where a strive for parity can be accomplished. The NCAA or conferences could make rules about budget caps.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
LSU’s advantage is 2 fold.
1. New Orleans is always loaded with talent
2. No competitive in-state rival

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022

You are correct that LSU is way out of place. Rest of the list looks pretty accurate for what you’d expect, though.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
I would love to hear Selmon's take on this after he's had time to size everything up. Oklahoma spent 2.6 mil recruiting last year recruiting and won 6 games in the Big 12. We spent 600K and won 9 games in the SEC. Over the long haul Oklahoma will obviously have more success but winning in this environment won't be just about the money.

Last edited:

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
You missed the point.

We have the highest chances of signing the highest rated talent, inside Mississippi.

And of course we "have to be able to recruit out of state". But defining the level at which we do this, is a bit tougher to do. Especially now, when the strategy used to be Alabama, Tennessee and Louisiana (and a few other areas). At the first chance, those guys now jump in the portal to go to the home schools. So....we also have to have a portal strategy.
No Alabama has the highest chance of signing the highest rated talent in Mississippi if they want to sign them.

Reactions: aTotal360

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
No Alabama has the highest chance of signing the highest rated talent in Mississippi if they want to sign them.
Let me try this again. We have the highest chance of signing the best group of overall talent, from inside the state of Mississippi. We are in on those 4 stars. We are hardly ever in on a true 4 star from out of state. How many in the past 20 years? 3-5?

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
Let me try this again. We have the highest chance of signing the best group of overall talent, from inside the state of Mississippi. We are in on those 4 stars. We are hardly ever in on a true 4 star from out of state. How many in the past 20 years? 3-5?
Our best teams are typically good because of great OOS talent we were able to pull. Look at the contributors on Dak’s team.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
MSU should always try to sign the best talent in Mississippi, but we must spread our reach for players. We already do this, they just need to ramp it up a little more each year.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
MSU should always try to sign the best talent in Mississippi, but we must spread our reach for players. We already do this, they just need to ramp it up a little more each year.
I think to us (and a lot more) "expanding or reach" in the future will rely more on the portal than out of state recruiting battles.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Our best teams are typically good because of great OOS talent we were able to pull. Look at the contributors on Dak’s team.
Those guys are generally not the highest rated guys from those states. Most of the time they are developmental at best. That's the entire point here, get our 'stars' from Mississippi where it's likelier to happen, then get the developmental guys from wherever.

Reactions: paindonthurt

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Tell me who on this team was "great" OOS talent? I mean highly recruited that other teams with an advantage over us wanted the player.

https://hailstate.com/sports/football/stats/2014

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Those guys are generally not the highest rated guys from those states. Most of the time they are developmental at best. That's the entire point here, get our 'stars' from Mississippi where it's likelier to happen, then get the developmental guys from wherever.
This.

Mullen's success was by getting the best he could from mississippi and getting guys with potential who were coachable from out of state.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
We can’t count on getting “stars” from anywhere. Because of history, we are always going to have to get best available. Relationships are about the only card MSU can play. And NIL is disrupting that.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
And NIL is disrupting that.
Not really. There's always been a pay-for-player aspect among the best players in Mississippi. Let's not act as if these guys had a moral conundrum about taking booster money before July 2021.

As far as getting our 'stars', you're just flat out wrong, nothing else I can tell you. You are making stuff up and picking at words to try and find a hole in the argument.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login