Football recruiting

QMartinez

Jan 17, 2023
Is our strategy to “lock down the state” and get the top instate talent ? Or is it to sign more out of state guys. I see we just got a lb from Alabama but lost a four star back Daniels to Florida ? I thought with Arnett hiring a lot of guys with in state connections we would sign more Miss hs players for 2024.
makes me wonder is the wholesale change in coaching staff didn’t hurt recruiting.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Is our strategy to “lock down the state” and get the top instate talent ? Or is it to sign more out of state guys. I see we just got a lb from Alabama but lost a four star back Daniels to Florida ? I thought with Arnett hiring a lot of guys with in state connections we would sign more Miss hs players for 2024.
makes me wonder is the wholesale change in coaching staff didn’t hurt recruiting.
Why does it have to be one or the other?

Maybe we are simply going after the best available that we have a realistic shot at positions of NEED regardless of location. Not positions of WHAT FANS WANT.

QMartinez

Jan 17, 2023
Why does it have to be one or the other?

Maybe we are simply going after the best available that we have a realistic shot at positions of NEED regardless of location. Not positions of WHAT FANS WANT.
Agree you have to get the best available, but man Daniels hurts. It seems like we are whiffing on this whole Mississippi 2024 class.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Agree you have to get the best available, but man Daniels hurts. It seems like we are whiffing on this whole Mississippi 2024 class.
#1, it's April. As long as we don't burn a bridge, we have a good shot until the end with in-staters.

#2, nowadays, even if they leave, they are likely to come back via the portal once they get buried on a depth chart and get homesick.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006

The Mississippi RB class this year isn't deep and there are some folks who appear headed to State who've not yet committed:

#1, it's April. As long as we don't burn a bridge, we have a good shot until the end with in-staters.

#2, nowadays, even if they leave, they are likely to come back via the portal once they get buried on a depth chart and get homesick.
Looks like Daniels played it fairly smart. Florida doesn't have many RBs on its roster but there is another RB committed for '24:

Edit to add: I suppose I really should use On3 otherwise Uncle Shannon might get on to me....

40mikemike

Sep 29, 2022
Name the last MSU coach who signed every top ten Mississippi player. Hell, name the last Ole Miss coach to do so. Matter of fact, name the last Alabama coach to sign every top ten player in Alabama. I’ll wait.

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
It’s April. Chill.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Name the last MSU coach who signed every top ten Mississippi player. Hell, name the last Ole Miss coach to do so. Matter of fact, name the last Alabama coach to sign every top ten player in Alabama. I’ll wait.
Yep. This is what locking down the state when it comes to Mississippi recruiting looks like...

excited eric cartman GIF by South Park

(try locking the above for MONTHS)

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Seven months from signing day and we have two commitments. Still early.
Three.

Caleb Dozier committed today.

Currently a 0-star but that means he'll likely be made a 3-star (edit: well, look at the first paragraph of Paul's story).

BingleCocktail

May 25, 2014
Three.

Caleb Dozier committed today.

Currently a 0-star but that means he'll likely be made a 3-star (edit: well, look at the first paragraph of Paul's story).
WOULD HAVE BEEN 4. BUT IM GETTING COMMITTED TO WHITFiELD

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
Recruiting is sucking.
We aren't pulling too kids in a loaded In-state class and we aren't signing top out of state guys either. Lots of reaches so far. No big gets.
Looks like NIL is killing us. We suck on that side of it and top teams are all in.

Last edited:

QMartinez

Jan 17, 2023
It’s not realistic to sign every top ten player of course. But we are zero for the top ten. Every single top ten recruit committed elsewhere or doesn’t list us. it would be great to sign ONE.
our NIL account must be overdrawn.

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
Yeah, it's only April. Much smarter to wait until October to really load the boat. It's looking pretty well to me too. I usually follow recruiting but so far there is nothing to follow. But I'm not worried yet because we got Coach Bump and I have been assured that he will sign all the top wide outs in the state so look out

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
We rank about 50th in recruiting spending and waited almost a year after everyone else on getting NIL going (thanks Cohen). Hopefully the new AD ramps up both.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Recruiting is sucking.
We aren't pulling too kids in a loaded In-state class and we aren't signing top out of state guys either. Lots of reaches so far. No big gets.
Looks like NIL is killing us. We suck on that side of it and top teams are all in.
We had a good class last year.

ITS APRIL.

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
Recruiting is sucking.
Just based on my poor memory alone, last year OM got the best quality outta MS and is on the path of doing it again. And here we are announcing a guy outta AL who only had directional FL and Coastal Carolina offers. It appears something's amiss. And yea, I know it's early.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Just based on my poor memory alone, last year OM got the best quality outta MS and is on the path of doing it again. And here we are announcing a guy outta AL who only had directional FL and Coastal Carolina offers. It appears something's amiss. And yea, I know it's early.

Three of the top five.

Their fourth Mississippi based player was 44th.

State got one of the top five, then 7 - 12, 14 - 15, 17, 20, and three more in the top 50.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login