Football rules people….

missouridawg

Oct 6, 2009
If a OL goes downfield 3 yards before a pass is thrown, it’s a penalty. I get it, you don’t want him blocking folks covering routes.

Why does it change if the ball is tipped by DL on the pass? I don’t get why that should negate the penalty.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
I don’t know if this is the right answer or not but I believe the pass has to make it past the line of scrimmage. I think an ineligible receiver can be further than 3 yards on a pass that is thrown behind the LOS, like a screen pass.

I may be completely wrong on that

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
I guess the tip makes it a live ball for either team

If a OL goes downfield 3 yards before a pass is thrown, it’s a penalty. I get it, you don’t want him blocking folks covering routes.

Why does it change if the ball is tipped by DL on the pass? I don’t get why that should negate the penalty.

And it that moment before it hits the ground there are no receivers and defenders and many of the typical rules cease to apply (like PI). I guess the rule writers view it as a scrum and want either team to just maul the other in an attempt to gain possession.

ETA: the technical way to say that is "receivers no longer exist after a a forward pass is touched, therefore no passing related penalties can be called if they occur after the touch"

Last edited:

Villagedawg

Nov 16, 2005
He’s no longer an ineligible receiver. It would make no sense to have an ineligible receiver downfield foul.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login