"...for an eeeevening of BAS-KET-ballllll....Mississippi-State style..."

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
Me too! Hank Flick was a treasure. He passed away in 2016 at the age of 73. I used to love to hear the crowd get into it when he said that.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
I loved him as Dr Smith in Lost in Space.

DawgatAuburn

Apr 25, 2006
Here's how it plays in my mind. Circa late 80s/early 90s.

Aaaaaaaa good good evening and welcome to the Humphrey Coliseum on the campus of Mississippi State University

...for an evening of BAS-KET-ballllll....Mississippi-State style...​

Tonight's SEC matchup features the Tigers of Louisiana State University......(wait for boos).....

....aaaaaand your homstanding Bulldogs of Mississippi State!!! (wait for cheers)

Now let's meet the starting lineups for both teams, beginning with our visitors from Baton Rouge..... (wait for boos)

A 6-6 junior from St. Francisville, LA, some coonass name
blah blah blah rest of lineup
The Tigers are coached by Dale Brown.

And now, the starting lineup for YOUR Mississippi State Bulldogs!
Insert cool nicknames like Smoke, Silky Smooth, BP, David DOOOOOOOOOO-MAIN, etc

HRMSU

Apr 26, 2022
Took an elective class he taught and it was highly entertaining not easy but not too hard. The guy could have been a standup comedian. Every class he had us laughing about something.

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

stateu1

Mar 21, 2016
Took an elective class he taught and it was highly entertaining not easy but not too hard. The guy could have been a standup comedian. Every class he had us laughing about something.
Yeah, and he would call fols out for being stupid in a heartbeat. Small Group Communications was the one I took.

Reactions: HRMSU

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
What stuck with me is that I had him for Interviewing (the most significant class in Com), and Dr. Forde asked me to do some things with the department after I graduated. Every time (long after his class) I saw him, he shook my hand, called me by name, and was the same bubbly, funny personality every time. I've run into only a couple of people like him.

Reactions: Darryl Steight

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
"I can tell by looking at my *ahem* Liberty Bowl watch... (flashes watch around)... that it's time for class to end." He said that nearly every day. The school had given him some bowl swag and he pretended to rub it in to us peons like it was a Rolex or something. The man was one of a kind and hilarious.

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
Surely somebody has a recording to post on here....
Crazy, someone just posted a recording of Flick on Twitter before the game Saturday. It was only a partial recording, not the whole intro. Not sure which account or I would try to link it.

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022

Aaaaaaaa good good evening and welcome to the Humphrey Coliseum on the campus of Mississippi State University

Tonight's SEC matchup features the Tigers of Louisiana State University......(wait for boos).....

....aaaaaand your homstanding Bulldogs of Mississippi State!!! (wait for cheers)

Now let's meet the starting lineups for both teams, beginning with our visitors from Baton Rouge..... (wait for boos)

"All aBOARD... the BIG TRAIN"
I think he also gets credit for ROB-ert-JACK-son... clap-clap...clap-clap.

Reactions: DawgatAuburn
Nov 25, 2019
I wish they would play a recording of that before each home game. It would get the crowd hyped. Dr. Flick was a huge part of the atmosphere at the Hump back when it was rocking. He was awesome and unique as the PA announcer.
that's exactly what should happen. Somewhere there is a recording that could be played just like the old days.

Reactions: drumrcraig

BulldogBlitz

Dec 11, 2008

Domain....hadn't heard that in so long.

Lettuce

Oct 16, 2012
Can’t leave out the candy man in the middle of the student section, getting all weird with the trick or treat bucket……..

Zimmerman out there with his 117inch vertical

I yearn

HeCannotGo

Feb 23, 2011

Great job, Dawg at Auburn. I'll now pick it up with the intros for our 1990-91 SEC champs:

Everybody up on your feet to welcome home our SEC-leading Mississippi State University Bulldogs!!

At forward, a six-six senior from Forest, number 23, Silky Smooth Greg Carter!

Also a forward, a six-seven senior from Flora, number 21 Caaaaaaaaameron Burrrrrrrrns!

At center, a six-nine senior, Albany, Georgia, number 33 Downtown Todd Merrit!

At guard, a six-two junior hailing from Rolling Fork, number 22 Top Gun Tony Watts!

And at quarterback guard, a six-two senior from Utica, number 20 Doug Hartsfield!

Simply the best, head coach of our Bulldogs, is Richard Williams.

Coach Williams is assisted by Mike Mathis, Rick Stansbury, and Ricky Stone.

DAWGSANDSAINTS

Oct 10, 2022
I wish they would play a recording of that before each home game. It would get the crowd hyped. Dr. Flick was a huge part of the atmosphere at the Hump back when it was rocking. He was awesome and unique as the PA announcer.
Love this idea!

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
Great job, Dawg at Auburn. I'll now pick it up with the intros for our 1990-91 SEC champs:

Everybody up on your feet to welcome home our SEC-leading Mississippi State University Bulldogs!!

At forward, a six-six senior from Forest, number 23, Silky Smooth Greg Carter!

Also a forward, a six-seven senior from Flora, number 21 Caaaaaaaaameron Burrrrrrrrns!

At center, a six-nine senior, Albany, Georgia, number 33 Downtown Todd Merrit!

At guard, a six-two junior hailing from Rolling Fork, number 22 Top Gun Tony Watts!

And at quarterback guard, a six-two senior from Utica, number 20 Doug Hartsfield!

Simply the best, head coach of our Bulldogs, is Richard Williams.

Coach Williams is assisted by Mike Mathis, Rick Stansbury, and Ricky Stone.
Bravo. This brings a tear to my eye. Good times, they were.

Reactions: Mr. Cook

HRMSU

Apr 26, 2022
Yeah, and he would call fols out for being stupid in a heartbeat. Small Group Communications was the one I took.

Yes, I think that was the class I took. I remember some story he told about accidentally backing into a doorknob and the expressions he could make! He had great timing as a teacher and announcer.

Bobby Ricigliano

Jul 27, 2011
My favorite memory of that era of basketball was playing some team, Texas El Paso?, that had a 7 foot plus center, and Derrick Zimmerman posterizing his *** with a throw down dunk!
It was one of them Louisiana schools.

wdawg44

Jun 4, 2014
I remember a game against UM where he did this spooky voice at all their mentions and finished each sounding like a question. He was 17'n hilarious and was an incredible part of our atmosphere.

HeCannotGo

Feb 23, 2011
Probably Germans, but I miss those days
Hank could make even bland item entertaining. To wit:

Introducing the national anthem: "For all we have, for all we are, for this great university, and for this community that we call home, rising to your feet and removing all caps and head coverings, please sing out loudly and proudly the words [pause] as our pep band leads us [longer pause] in our national anthem."

And I chuckled a few times walking out of the Hump as Hank would wrap it up for the night:

"Please drive safely and defensively and without benefit of alcohol. And, as always, have a good, good evening."

Reactions: Darryl Steight

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022

(Assist from student section). "SUCKS!"

I always enjoyed his nicknames for players. He had some good ones. One I recall... Trey Moore's tag.... "1 up, 2 down, sticks like glue Trey 3M Moore". I probably butchered it.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login