For anyone left who still doesn’t know why the Cowboys haven’t been to the NFCCG in 27 years

patdog

May 28, 2007
Has any other owner ever fawned over such mediocre to bad coaches and driven away as many good ones in the history of the NFL?

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
It's no worse than Kellen Moore. Certainly not as bad as Jason Garrett.

Moore had the #4 scoring offense in the league despite his starting QB missing 6-7 games. He wasn’t always great but there’s no way he’s worse than McCarthey. Mike’s offense was ancient 15 years ago.

Reactions: aTotal360

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
thought about this the other day, there is a possibility that the playoffs and Super Bowl do not add significant value to the Cowboys franchise.

53 players on each of the 4 teams last weekend got $69K extra. Super Bowl winning players get +$157K and Super Bowl losers get +$82K extra. IR players get $41.5K each game. Players do not get paid any base salary during the playoffs, although a select few will have performance bonuses in their contracts.

Most a team would have to pay would be $3.6M each game in the playoffs and then the super bowl winning team pays $8.3M. The home team gets revenue from the gate, concessions and merchandise sold at the game but that accounts for only 1.25% of the revenue.

So you see where I am going with this. It probably benefits Jerry Jones more to not win in the playoffs and not in the Super Bowl that to be out up to $19M to $20M.

Yes endorsements for the teams is huge money but those contracts are done prior to the Super Bowl and locked in I am guessing, I don't think you could raise those rates.

I know I'm missing items like travel, lodging, coaches bonuses/salaries. Would be interesting to see it all listed out. Bottom line is that NFL owners make a killing, an absolute killing. Who knows what the NFL pays out to playoff and super bowl teams as part of the TV deals.

Last edited:

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
thought about this the other day, there is a possibility that the playoffs and Super Bowl do not add significant value to the Cowboys franchise.

53 players on each of the 4 teams last weekend got $69K extra. Super Bowl winning players get +$157K and Super Bowl losers get +$82K extra. IR players get $41.5K each game. Players do not get paid any base salary during the playoffs, although a select few will have performance bonuses in their contracts.

Most a team would have to pay would be $3.6M each game in the playoffs and then the super bowl winning team pays $8.3M. The home team gets revenue from the gate, concessions and merchandise sold at the game but that accounts for only 1.25% of the revenue.

So you see where I am going with this. It probably benefits Jerry Jones more to not win in the playoffs and not in the Super Bowl that to be out up to $19M to $20M.

Yes endorsements for the teams is huge money but those contracts are done prior to the Super Bowl and locked in I am guessing, I don't think you could raise those rates.

I know I'm missing items like travel, lodging, coaches bonuses/salaries. Would be interesting to see it all listed out. Bottom line is that NFL owners make a killing, an absolute killing. Who knows what the NFL pays out to playoff and super bowl teams as part of the TV deals.
Bourbon or meth?

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022

He’s certainly running the team the same way Rachel Phelps ran the Indians in Major League. But you’re giving him too much credit to assume he is deliberately tanking. This is just old fashioned incompetence at work.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
He’s certainly running the team the same way Rachel Phelps ran the Indians in Major League. But you’re giving him too much credit to assume he is deliberately tanking. This is just old fashioned incompetence at work.
It’s kind of hard to say Jerry Jones is incompetent as an owner financially.

As a general manager trying to win Super Bowls? Sure.

But financially the cowboys are second to none.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
Moore had the #4 scoring offense in the league despite his starting QB missing 6-7 games. He wasn’t always great but there’s no way he’s worse than McCarthey. Mike’s offense was ancient 15 years ago.
Good Teams knew what they were running. Opposing players and tv guys have mentioned it. There's a reason Moore got passed over for HC jobs. He's not considered an elite OC. Look what they did vs the good teams on their schedule. Their defense helped that offense a ton.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
Good Teams knew what they were running. Opposing players and tv guys have mentioned it. There's a reason Moore got passed over for HC jobs. He's not considered an elite OC. Look what they did vs the good teams on their schedule. Their defense helped that offense a ton.
They also were a ton better when in hurry up mode, which is another tell that the other team knew what they were running (when given time to see the formation etc).

Reactions: msstatelp1

patdog

May 28, 2007

He could double his merchandising revenue if they had a few Super Bowl wins in the last 10 years.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022

Well of course. No NFL owner is incompetent financially. That’s a pretty low bar for that position.

As a GM, he is extremely incompetent. And that’s all the fans care about. No Cowboys fans give a 17 how many jerseys they sell.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Well of course. No NFL owner is incompetent financially. That’s a pretty low bar for that position.

As a GM, he is extremely incompetent. And that’s all the fans care about. No Cowboys fans give a 17 how many jerseys they sell.
And as was stated earlier maybe Jerry isn’t worried about cowboys fans and what they think other than them remaining cowboys fans and buying merchandise, etc.

patdog

May 28, 2007
And as was stated earlier maybe Jerry isn’t worried about cowboys fans and what they think other than them remaining cowboys fans and buying merchandise, etc.
I don't think anyone seriously thinks Jerry Jones doesn't want to win. He just can't get out of his own way and let it happen.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
He could double his merchandising revenue if they had a few Super Bowl wins in the last 10 years.
Maybe.
I’d like to see the data on that.

also, what does double merchandise do to the bottom line considering the expenses above.

I have no idea but financially you can’t argue his success.

You MIGHT be able to argue that he could make more but you don’t know that for sure.

Reactions: onewoof

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
I think he saw what the balance sheet looked like in 93 to 96. When you put it ALL on paper, best players salary, everything. And he's already got the brand value and money rolling in with or without the super bowl. Probably more without

Last edited:

HRMSU

Apr 26, 2022

When he bought the team they were losing $1M a month. I've said it before all the Cowboys haters need to thank Jerah for helping their small market teams be able to compete for SBs and negotiate their own sponsorship contracts. The NFL owes Jerah but Jerah owes us Cowboys fans a ***** SB!

The NFL landscape is too equal now and it takes a good front office, good HC, good players and good luck to win it all which just makes what Brady and Bellicheck achieved even all that more impressive.

Reactions: Motodawg

HRMSU

Apr 26, 2022

Really? Maybe in todays NFL.....wonder why that is??

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
Now if they would just hire Croom to help implement the "new" offense that would be the coup de grace .

patdog

May 28, 2007
Maybe.
I’d like to see the data on that.

also, what does double merchandise do to the bottom line considering the expenses above.

I have no idea but financially you can’t argue his success.

You MIGHT be able to argue that he could make more but you don’t know that for sure.
Double is probably a stretch, but there is absolutely no way winning Super Bowls won't generate more revenue. The Patriots were a middle of the road franchise 20 years ago. Now they're the clear #2 (although they'll fade some if they don't start winning again).

Reactions: HRMSU

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
Double is probably a stretch, but there is absolutely no way winning Super Bowls won't generate more revenue. The Patriots were a middle of the road franchise 20 years ago. Now they're the clear #2 (although they'll fade some if they don't start winning again).
patriots brand value was low and now high. dallas brand value has been fairly high and gaining since the 90's. yes it helps other teams move up but Dallas is already up. Highest brand value in all of USA sports, even more than the Yankees.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022

He's just still living in the 90s. Still makes the same moves that worked back then.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
When he bought the team they were losing $1M a month. I've said it before all the Cowboys haters need to thank Jerah for helping their small market teams be able to compete for SBs and negotiate their own sponsorship contracts. The NFL owes Jerah but Jerah owes us Cowboys fans a ***** SB!

The NFL landscape is too equal now and it takes a good front office, good HC, good players and good luck to win it all which just makes what Brady and Bellicheck achieved even all that more impressive.

The population of the Dallas Metroplex increased by almost 30% just in the decade of 1985 to 1995. It went from being “small market” to another NY / LA / Chicago for reasons that are a lot bigger than the Dallas Cowboys. That had a hell of a lot to do with the Cowboys brand growing when he bought the team.

Jerry probably had smart people telling him it was a wise decision to buy that particular franchise based on the forecasted demographics in the area, and credit to him for listening to them. But its not like he made all these savvy financial moves to make the Cowboys the most marketable NFL team. He simply made a good investment that has paid dividends. Those dividends multiplied when they won a few Super Bowls. And they would do so again if he ever got more of them.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
The population of the Dallas Metroplex increased by almost 30% just in the decade of 1985 to 1995. It went from being “small market” to another NY / LA / Chicago for reasons that are a lot bigger than the Dallas Cowboys. That had a hell of a lot to do with the Cowboys brand growing when he bought the team.

Jerry probably had smart people telling him it was a wise decision to buy that particular franchise based on the forecasted demographics in the area, and credit to him for listening to them. But its not like he made all these savvy financial moves to make the Cowboys the most marketable NFL team. He simply made a good investment that has paid dividends. Those dividends multiplied when they won a few Super Bowls. And they would do so again if he ever got more of them.
This is also why it is so important and valuable to have the LA Rams do well in a market of up to 12.5 Million in the greater LA county area. Greater DFW is 7.7 Million.

Go Rams
1675353008942.png

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
This is also why it is so important and valuable to have the LA Rams do well in a market of up to 12.5 Million in the greater LA county area. Greater DFW is 7.7 Million.

Go Rams
View attachment 305853
Yet the fans still don't care. Like, at all. Except for the few fights you see on Youtube.

Fans care more in cities where there is less sh*t to do. There's an equation.

HRMSU

Apr 26, 2022

Come on man, do you actually remember what the NFL was like in the 70s, 80s and most of the 90s? 2-4 teams dominated the league for the most part. Franchises sneaking out in the middle of the night or relocating.

Salary Cap - leveled the playing field and helped manage expenses for all franchises. Jerah led that charge.

Team able to negotiate their own sponsorships - prior to Jerah suing the NFL for rights to negotiate team sponsorships every one just got money from "the official sponsor of the NFL" as opposed to "the official sponsor of the Kansas City Chiefs" - again brought to you by Jerah

The Death Star - Jerah proved building a new state of the art stadium would not only increase sales but franchise value exponentially.

I just wished he was as good a GM as he is an owner ( from a business perspective).

Reactions: Motodawg

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Come on man, do you actually remember what the NFL was like in the 70s, 80s and most of the 90s? 2-4 teams dominated the league for the most part. Franchises sneaking out in the middle of the night or relocating.

Salary Cap - leveled the playing field and helped manage expenses for all franchises. Jerah led that charge.

Team able to negotiate their own sponsorships - prior to Jerah suing the NFL for rights to negotiate team sponsorships every one just got money from "the official sponsor of the NFL" as opposed to "the official sponsor of the Kansas City Chiefs" - again brought to you by Jerah

The Death Star - Jerah proved building a new state of the art stadium would not only increase sales but franchise value exponentially.

I just wished he was as good a GM as he is an owner ( from a business perspective).

Everything you stated brought up the value of all NFL teams, not just the Cowboys. And Jerry wasn’t the only one doing those things. And no one has ever questioned his business acumen. If he didn’t have that, he wouldn’t have ever had the money needed to buy the team in the first place.

But, in spite of their financial struggles at the time he purchased the team, they still had huge following and brand from Tom Landry having 20 consecutive winning seasons from 1966-1985, winning 13 division titles and reaching 5 Super Bowls, etc. The “America’s Team” mantra existed long before Jerry rolled into town.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Everything you stated brought up the value of all NFL teams, not just the Cowboys. And Jerry wasn’t the only one doing those things. And no one has ever questioned his business acumen. If he didn’t have that, he wouldn’t have ever had the money needed to buy the team in the first place.

But, in spite of their financial struggles at the time he purchased the team, they still had huge following and brand from Tom Landry having 20 consecutive winning seasons from 1966-1985, winning 13 division titles and reaching 5 Super Bowls, etc. The “America’s Team” mantra existed long before Jerry rolled into town.
Exactly, because winning matters.

And the Cowboys ain't done enough of it at an elite level. They are all about money, and not the same franchise they were in 1995, even though obviously Jerruh had begun the shift. In no way do they embody what 'America's Team' should be.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login