For anyone left who still doesn’t know why the Cowboys haven’t been to the NFCCG in 27 years

maroonmania

Feb 23, 2008
I don't think anyone seriously thinks Jerry Jones doesn't want to win. He just can't get out of his own way and let it happen.
He doesn't even do basic things to win. Spent a boatload of cap money on a RB who is not even the best RB on the team, let the best WR on the team leave and didn't replace him with anyone, has continued to let the OL degrade since Dak's rookie year, and on and on. Heck, if you just make the change where Dallas had signed AJ Brown and Philly didn't that alone could have totally shifted the power in the NFC East to Dallas.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Heck, if you just make the change where Dallas had signed AJ Brown and Philly didn't that alone could have totally shifted the power in the NFC East to Dallas.

Well to be fair, that was a trade that cost the Eagles a 1st round pick. Brown wasn’t a free agent, so its not like they had the option (or the money) to just sign him. And they already had dealt a 1st rounder for Cooper two years prior, so pursuing an even more expensive WR after trading him wasn’t really in the cards. The common sense move would have been to not deal Cooper, and clear cap space from Zeke or the overpaid OL to keep him around.

HRMSU

Apr 26, 2022
Everything you stated brought up the value of all NFL teams, not just the Cowboys. And Jerry wasn’t the only one doing those things. And no one has ever questioned his business acumen. If he didn’t have that, he wouldn’t have ever had the money needed to buy the team in the first place.

But, in spite of their financial struggles at the time he purchased the team, they still had huge following and brand from Tom Landry having 20 consecutive winning seasons from 1966-1985, winning 13 division titles and reaching 5 Super Bowls, etc. The “America’s Team” mantra existed long before Jerry rolled into town.

Look, here's the facts:

In 1989 Jerah pulled together everything he had to buy a team that was losing $1M/month for $150M against many people's advice in his inner circle. Remember he was a wildcatter from Arkansas trying to find another glory hole. Today, that Team is worth $8B!

Now, this is easy math, how much of the $8M valuation happened before Jerah and how much happened after Jerah?

Reactions: onewoof

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Look, here's the facts:

In 1989 Jerah pulled together everything he had to buy a team that was losing $1M/month for $150M against many people's advice in his inner circle. Remember he was a wildcatter from Arkansas trying to find another glory hole. Today, that Team is worth $8B!

Now, this is easy math, how much of the $8M valuation happened before Jerah and how much happened after Jerah?
What's the standard? Valuation or winning? To me it's a mix of both. Which is why the Chiefs are the standard right now.

To relate it to college, take Alabama and Georgia. They aren't the richest teams in the country. If the richest teams always won, Harvard and Yale would still be kicking arse. But it's a mix between the teams with 'enough' money and the most rabid fans, who drive the culture and attract players.

In the NFL, it's probably less about the fans and more about the front office/coaching, but you get my point. Everybody has players so that's also less of a factor.

HRMSU

Apr 26, 2022
Exactly, because winning matters.

And the Cowboys ain't done enough of it at an elite level. They are all about money, and not the same franchise they were in 1995, even though obviously Jerruh had begun the shift. In no way do they embody what 'America's Team' should be.

II agree that they haven't done enough winning at an elite level 💯 I don't agree the eras are apples to apples.

Teams with most SB wins:
Pats - all after salary cap and with one coach and one QB

Steelers - only 2 since salary cap (4 in the 70s!)

Cowboys - only 1 and that was year after the cap started

Niners - only one the year the cap started

So, other than the Pats the traditional powers have won 4 SBs in the last 29 years and 2 of those are questionable to count. This is a different NFL! It's not the pre-salary cap blue blood throw your money around and buy SBs NFL. One of the Cowboys SB teams had #1 D + Troy, Emmit, Irvin, and the gang. You couldn't afford that team today no matter how good of a GM you are period

HRMSU

Apr 26, 2022
What's the standard? Valuation or winning? To me it's a mix of both. Which is why the Chiefs are the standard right now.

To relate it to college, take Alabama and Georgia. They aren't the richest teams in the country. If the richest teams always won, Harvard and Yale would still be kicking arse. But it's a mix between the teams with 'enough' money and the most rabid fans, who drive the culture and attract players.

In the NFL, it's probably less about the fans and more about the front office/coaching, but you get my point. Everybody has players so that's also less of a factor.

I agree with a lot of what you say here but since you brought up Bama and GA..... do you think we'd have a better chance at a SEC championship or even a Natty if every team had the same athletic budget and couldn't outspend other teams? That's todays NFL. Then if Bama and GA no longer dominated and State, Ole Miss, Arkansas won big.....would that all be on Bama and GA or some of it due to the new structure?

Reactions: onewoof

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I agree with a lot of what you say here but since you brought up Bama and GA..... do you think we'd have a better chance at a SEC championship or even a Natty if every team had the same athletic budget and couldn't outspend other teams? That's todays NFL. Then if Bama and GA no longer dominated and State, Ole Miss, Arkansas won big.....would that all be on Bama and GA or some of it due to the new structure?
These are interesting questions. The parity in the NFL now is great, and it certainly seems like ratings and attendance are better than ever before. But yeah, it does seem like the richer, more 'valuable' teams should get some sort of an advantage. I guess they do get more exposure at certain locations, like all of Dak's branding in Dallas, and what Los Angeles and New York brings, etc.

Of course, the structure is what it is. You have to operate within it. But if you're asking what is the best structure, that's a totally different conversation. Hard to argue against the current one.

Reactions: HRMSU

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022

That’s not the correct question. The correct question is “how much of the increase in value of the Cowboys relative to other franchises is solely due to Jerry Jones?” The value of the Cowboys would have gone up regardless due to the increase in popularity of the NFL in general, their winning history, and the increase in population of the Metroplex.

Did Jerry do some things to bring in more fans? Sure. Did he help promote a rising tide that lifted all NFL boats? Sure. But a lot of why they are currently the most valuable franchise in the world has to do with things well beyond his direct control.

HRMSU

Apr 26, 2022
These are interesting questions. The parity in the NFL now is great, and it certainly seems like ratings and attendance are better than ever before. But yeah, it does seem like the richer, more 'valuable' teams should get some sort of an advantage. I guess they do get more exposure at certain locations, like all of Dak's branding in Dallas, and what Los Angeles and New York brings, etc.

Of course, the structure is what it is. You have to operate within it. But if you're asking what is the best structure, that's a totally different conversation. Hard to argue against the current one.

Agree! The decision point is do you enjoy a league where anybody can beat anybody and playoff teams change almost every year or do you like a few Super teams where the Championship games are already penciled in. I like it more competitive even though it took away my teams long time advantage. It's a better product and it's another reason the league has exploded.

HRMSU

Apr 26, 2022
That’s not the correct question. The correct question is “how much of the increase in value of the Cowboys relative to other franchises is solely due to Jerry Jones?” The value of the Cowboys would have gone up regardless due to the increase in popularity of the NFL in general, their winning history, and the increase in population of the Metroplex.

Did Jerry do some things to bring in more fans? Sure. Did he help promote a rising tide that lifted all NFL boats? Sure. But a lot of why they are currently the most valuable franchise in the world has to do with things well beyond his direct control.

I'll agree to disagree. I'm tired of the argument or I'd put some effort into posting no less than 20 articles that point to Jerah's disproportionate business impact on the NFL but you're free to believe what you want.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login