For the older posters that frequented the Jackson area back when it was safe, today is the "Day The Music Died".

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Nineteen years ago today "The Dock" at The Rez closed August 29th 2004. Its called "The Day the Music Died" because it was obviously closing and Terry Edwards played Don McLean's "American Pie" as the final song on the final night. Otis Redding "Dock of the Bay" was next to last one.

For you youngsters I hate you missed the opportunity to hang out there on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon or night. The food, the drinks, the ladies, man good memories. Pulling up and tying up a boat, going in for a Dock Rocker (drink w 6 alcohols in it), a Dock Burger, boiled shrimp, best fried pickles and ranch, man nothing like it. For you live music fans it was pretty damn good in its day and much better than anything around today. It was calm during the day and up until maybe 9:00 or so but nothing like it after that. They had resort status and stayed open till 3:00 a.m.

Clarion Ledger Article

WLBT Story

"I Miss The Dock Facebook Group"

Prince Played The Dock in '97 After a Concert

1693321908756.png1693321970747.png

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
I was there that last day/night. Still have the t-shirt somewhere I think. Lots of great memories in that place, and the various bars that tried to coat-tail The Dock from across the parking lot. Good times.

theoriginalSALTYdog

Jul 10, 2021
Nineteen years ago today "The Dock" at The Rez closed August 29th 2004. Its called "The Day the Music Died" because it was obviously closing and Terry Edwards played Don McLean's "American Pie" as the final song on the final night. Otis Redding "Dock of the Bay" was next to last one.

For you youngsters I hate you missed the opportunity to hang out there on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon or night. The food, the drinks, the ladies, man good memories. Pulling up and tying up a boat, going in for a Dock Rocker (drink w 6 alcohols in it), a Dock Burger, boiled shrimp, best fried pickles and ranch, man nothing like it. For you live music fans it was pretty damn good in its day and much better than anything around today. It was calm during the day and up until maybe 9:00 or so but nothing like it after that. They had resort status and stayed open till 3:00 a.m.

Clarion Ledger Article

WLBT Story

View attachment 393189View attachment 393190

Ah yes. I used to visit "The Dock" everytime I was down that way. In the 80's and 90's it was the place to go.

Reactions: Double Dawg

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Why did it close?
My recollection what that a new and wonderful development was coming. It didn't. Also, my memory sucks and my understanding of the situation at the time may have been flawed. Regardless, you have my assurance that it was related to a new development project.***

Reactions: dorndawg

PK Dawg

Jul 17, 2022
My recollection what that a new and wonderful development was coming. It didn't. Also, my memory sucks and my understanding of the situation at the time may have been flawed. Regardless, you have my assurance that it was related to a new development project.***
I remember the same. Big fancy condo/retail development was in the plans that I believe the 07 crash cancelled.

josebrown

Aug 4, 2008
Had some great times at The Dock! I’ve got 2 of their tables still. Still planning on making them State tables with pics and memorabilia in the recess under the clear plastic. I need to get on it!!

Only kicked out once, and had a boat directly across from it in a covered slip. Good times!!

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
That WLBT article linked about showed the renderings of the place. I don't remember all that, but I wasn't around Jackson at that time. I only went to the Dock once in like 2003, but it was cool and should still be there.

And again, a development that never happened - another metaphor for Jackson. Of course, AFTER you destroy something cool.

RockyDog

Jan 2, 2023
That WLBT article linked about showed the renderings of the place. I don't remember all that, but I wasn't around Jackson at that time. I only went to the Dock once in like 2003, but it was cool and should still be there.

And again, a development that never happened - another metaphor for Jackson. Of course, AFTER you destroy something cool.
Nothing to do with Jackson with that one. Ridgeland and Madison County completely dropped the ball there. Regardless I think the Dock was doomed anyway. They didn't like that sinning was going on right on the banks of the Rez with all that music and demon liquor being served. Cops used to sit on the parking lot and wait for people to leave so they could pop them with a DUI.

That whole area was a fun place to hang out and it was demolished for nothing. That dumb Harbor Walk trailer sat there for over a decade and all they have to show for it is some boat slips.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Nothing to do with Jackson with that one. Ridgeland and Madison County completely dropped the ball there.
Obviously. I'm just being negative about the whole metro curse. The stuff Kid Rock sang about in the song. Seems like the whole area can never get anything right. Sure there are some good things, but we can never coordinate and get anything GREAT going. Example - putting the damned baseball stadium in the middle of an asphalt sea in Pearl, rather than downtown.

That whole area was a fun place to hang out and it was demolished for nothing. That dumb Harbor Walk trailer sat there for over a decade and all they have to show for it is some boat slips.
Now you have Shuckers and Pelican Cove!!! Whole area just never left the 90s. Cock of the Walk dang sure hasn't been cleaned since then.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Why did it close?
A guy named John Burwell came in and leased that whole Main Harbor area (boat docks/piers, boat gas and store, apartments, condos) and The Dock, from Pearl River Valley Authority in early 2000's. He said he was going to build some pie in the sky development called Harbor Walk w/ about a 6 or 8 story hotel, condos, eateries, upscale shopping, shuttles to Jackson, water taxi's, blah blah blah. He left The Dock alone until their (Buddy & Dewitt Deweese) lease was up for renewal and didn't renew it, then he tore it down. The only successful business out there and he closed and demoed it before he had all his financing in place. He asked for and got multiple extensions but NEVER did anything w/ Main Harbor but put in a double wide for an office, fix up some old piers and built a few. He had a $600,000/year lease to pay to Pearl River Vallley and evidently made those payments until his death in 2018. I don't know what's happend to it since then. Here is a rendering of what it was to be...........

1693336480983.png

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Obviously. I'm just being negative about the whole metro curse. The stuff Kid Rock sang about in the song. Seems like the whole area can never get anything right. Sure there are some good things, but we can never coordinate and get anything GREAT going. Example - putting the damned baseball stadium in the middle of an asphalt sea in Pearl, rather than downtown.

Now you have Shuckers and Pelican Cove!!! Whole area just never left the 90s. Cock of the Walk dang sure hasn't been cleaned since then.
Shaggy's is also out there now, on the Stankin Rankin side of The Rez. Its on the water just before you get on the road to come to the Ridgeland side of the water. Shaggy's has a location on the coast as well. Its pretty nice actually

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
A guy named John Burwell came in and leased that whole Main Harbor area (boat docks/piers, boat gas and store, apartments, condos) and The Dock, from Pearl River Valley Authority in early 2000's. He said he was going to build some pie in the sky development called Harbor Walk w/ about a 6 or 8 story hotel, condos, eateries, upscale shopping, shuttles to Jackson, water taxi's, blah blah blah. He left The Dock alone until their (Buddy & Dewitt Deweese) lease was up for renewal and didn't renew it, then he tore it down. The only successful business out there and he closed and demoed it before he had all his financing in place. He asked for and got multiple extensions but NEVER did anything w/ Main Harbor but put in a double wide for an office, fix up some old piers and built a few. He had a $600,000/year lease to pay to Pearl River Vallley and evidently made those payments until his death in 2018. I don't know what's happend to it since then. Here is a rendering of what it was to be...........

View attachment 393428
The renderings were epic…. Would have been a unique place in the Deep South, for sure.

Ridgeland hated the Dock, for sure. Hell, I didn’t love it either, mainly because of too many 50 +year olds acting like college kids. But, it was pretty much universally loved by anybody that lived for staying out late on a Saturday night.

DUI cops made lots of money from the place, for sure.

DAWGSANDSAINTS

Oct 10, 2022

Clarion Ledger Article

WLBT Story

View attachment 393189View attachment 393190
Man what a place that was!!
So many memories and some I wish I could remember 😎

PapaDawg

Nov 19, 2014
It was a one of a kind place. I started going in ‘81-‘82. We would leave Flag Island or Ratliff Ferry and head South. Eat, drink, and be merry. After I settled down the wife and I had a camper at Timberlake. We spent a lot of Sunday afternoon there. We closed it down on the last Sunday.
We even have a print of the last Sunday.

Attachments

• IMG_2494.jpeg
    IMG_2494.jpeg
    29.4 KB · Views: 21

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Why did it close?
They were going to build a shopping center with eateries I believe. I figure funding fell through. There used to be a water park on the other end of spill way road. They closed that I believe in order to build Condomediums. I guessing funding fell through for that.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
man that dude was so cool. the first time i went i used someone else ID and he let me in. after that he would just wave me off whenever i tried to give it to him. side note, that dude was one bad _ _ _ m fer.
I used to work out at his gym. Really nice guy but like you said one bad Mother and he was huge. His uncle Alex McNeil was Mr. Universe two years in a row. He is a retire Hinds County Deputy. He has to be 80 by now.

Reactions: jethreauxdawg

drexeldog23

Dec 2, 2022
I was there that last day/night. Still have the t-shirt somewhere I think. Lots of great memories in that place, and the various bars that tried to coat-tail The Dock from across the parking lot. Good times.

my favorite one was the Millennium

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
I didn't appreciate it until it was gone. A great place, but most of my memories of it have faded.

I still remember when Barry Goff beat Uggie to death there. When Goff was convicted, the DJ on Z106 broke into the song that was playing and said, "Let justice rain."

Reactions: Fishsqeezer

drexeldog23

Dec 2, 2022

They were going to build a shopping center with eateries I believe. I figure funding fell through. There used to be a water park on the other end of spill way road. They closed that I believe in order to build Condomediums. I guessing funding fell through for that.
rumor has it that the owner was $400,000 in the whole due to the other business he owned.

Reactions: GloryDawg

drexeldog23

Dec 2, 2022
I didn't appreciate it until it was gone. A great place, but most of my memories of it have faded.

I still remember when Barry Goff beat Uggie to death there. When Goff was convicted, the DJ on Z106 broke into the song that was playing and said, "Let justice rain."
i was there. didn't see it luckily though. Goff and his gang on redneck drunks were always up there trying to start fights.

MagnoliaHunter

Jan 23, 2007
at one time there was a water slide on the Rankin and Madison sides. And there was a really cheesy one by where dueces car dealership was.

theoriginalSALTYdog

Jul 10, 2021
Somebody refresh my memory here. There was a murder there sometime in the late 90's. I can't recall all the details but I do remember the guy that was convicted of it (Goff).

cowbell88

Jan 11, 2009
Who was the older guy that had the houseboat that was always docked there? Sweetie III was name of the boat and it had a glass floor that opened up.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
Somebody refresh my memory here. There was a murder there sometime in the late 90's. I can't recall all the details but I do remember the guy that was convicted of it (Goff).

Plenty of details and links here...

Awful memory I had relegated to the archives of my brain.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012

Clarion Ledger Article

WLBT Story

at one time there was a water slide on the Rankin and Madison sides. And there was a really cheesy one by where dueces car dealership was.
Wet ‘n Wild on the hill in south Jackson. Concrete slides. First water slides in the jackson area and if you came off the mat you got major road rash from the rough concrete.

waterland was about where the Cadillac place is in ridgeland and was the second. I get transported back to this place every time I hear “Josie’s on a vacation far away…”

rapids on the reservoir was the newest.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
Wet ‘n Wild on the hill in south Jackson. Concrete slides. First water slides in the jackson area and if you came off the mat you got major road rash from the rough concrete.

waterland was about where the Cadillac place is in ridgeland and was the second. I get transported back to this place every time I hear “Josie’s on a vacation far away…”

rapids on the reservoir was the newest.
Saw David Lee Roth and Mark Chestnut at Rapids.

skydawg1

Jul 31, 2007
Awful menu...and if you do pull the trigger on an order, it will be terrible. And served with an attitude.

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
Plenty of details and links here...

Awful memory I had relegated to the archives of my brain.
Whoa, that story in kingfish is terrible. Glad that dude is locked up. Also, it’s embarrassing to see a message board thread go off the rails and turn into pointless name calling and personal attacks like they did.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login