For the older posters that frequented the Jackson area back when it was safe, today is the "Day The Music Died".

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
at one time there was a water slide on the Rankin and Madison sides. And there was a really cheesy one by where dueces car dealership was.
I went down that concrete slide. Don't mock it until you try it.***** I think it was the first one in Jackson. It was Chessy. During two a days football practice a bunch of us use to go there in between practice.

Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
i was there. didn't see it luckily though. Goff and his gang on redneck drunks were always up there trying to start fights.
When I was in high school Canton was one of the bigger private schools. The 12 grades had 1300 kids. Not big in public school terms but big in private school at the time. We were in the same conference as Prep. We played Magnolia Academy in a step-down game Goff was on that team. He was one of the bigger guys in that class. He was a fairly nice guy, but you could see he had a mean and trouble side. I was not surprised when I heard he killed that guy.

Reactions: She Mate Me

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
Whoa, that story in kingfish is terrible. Glad that dude is locked up. Also, it’s embarrassing to see a message board thread go off the rails and turn into pointless name calling and personal attacks like they did.

Yeah, it's obviously an old thread, but those JJ threads usually go off the rails. Lotta good inside info on Jackson there, but quite a few idiots with idiotic opinions.

No idea if the guy is still in jail and no motivation to research it.

theoriginalSALTYdog

Jul 10, 2021
When I was in high school Canton was one of the bigger private schools. The 12 grades had 1300 kids. Not big in public school terms but big in private school at the time. We were in the same conference as Prep. We played Magnolia Academy in a step-down game Goff was on that team. He was one of the bigger guys in that class. He was a fairly nice guy, but you could see he had a mean and trouble side. I was not surprised when I heard he killed that guy.
I remember playing sports against the guy and seem to remember him being a pretty good athlete. I'm thinking I may have played baseball or legion ball against the guy. That was a long time ago, mid 80's or so.
I went down that concrete slide. Don't mock it until you try it.***** I think it was the first one in Jackson. It was Chessy. During two a days football practice a bunch of us use to go there in between practice.
It's cheesy now but it wasn't back in the day. Good place to meet chicks.

Reactions: GloryDawg

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
I remember playing sports against the guy and seem to remember him being a pretty good athlete. I'm thinking I may have played baseball or legion ball against the guy. That was a long time ago, mid 80's or so.

It's cheesy now but it wasn't back in the day. Good place to meet chicks.
Goff was 6'5" about 240 pounds and played running back. He was really fast. That's why so many MAIS guys of the time knew who he was.

Crazy Cotton

Aug 26, 2012
I'm so old I thought you were talking about the day ZZQ became Miss 103. Ironically, we were out at the reservoir listening to them play American Pie as their swan song. It's a shame kids don't know what a live DJ-curated set can do to your outlook on life. The Dock was the first place we went after we made our fake IDs.

Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

Fishsqeezer

Jan 3, 2023
Wet ‘n Wild on the hill in south Jackson. Concrete slides. First water slides in the jackson area and if you came off the mat you got major road rash from the rough concrete.

waterland was about where the Cadillac place is in ridgeland and was the second. I get transported back to this place every time I hear “Josie’s on a vacation far away…”

rapids on the reservoir was the newest.
Main harbor water park also before Rapids was built

MagnoliaHunter

Jan 23, 2007
Wet ‘n Wild on the hill in south Jackson. Concrete slides. First water slides in the jackson area and if you came off the mat you got major road rash from the rough concrete.

waterland was about where the Cadillac place is in ridgeland and was the second. I get transported back to this place every time I hear “Josie’s on a vacation far away…”

There was another one on the madison side close to the water.

dudehead

Jul 9, 2006
I'm so old I thought you were talking about the day ZZQ became Miss 103. Ironically, we were out at the reservoir listening to them play American Pie as their swan song. It's a shame kids don't know what a live DJ-curated set can do to your outlook on life. The Dock was the first place we went after we made our fake IDs.
God I miss that station. Use to listen to them on my old Marantz tube receiver - crisp, clear audio heaven.

Dawg1976

Aug 22, 2012
I lived in the reservoir area in the early 80's and remember the bar. My memory is fuzzy but I do remember it being very crowded.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
You know what’s worse than 100 fleas? 94TYX

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
Hey Alco or any other NEPJ’s or South Jackson trash. What was the bar in Downtown Jackson that was on the second floor? Was it the Catwalk?

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
I’m pretty sure this site is going to make me go broke.

For Lettuce

theoriginalSALTYdog

Jul 10, 2021
I’m pretty sure this site is going to make me go broke.

For Lettuce
1693490419227.png
Need one for Classix in Columbus. It overlapped a few years with The Club but once it closed Classix was the premier bar in NE MS. Used to have nice tribute page on FB.

Reactions: mcdawg22

Lucifer Morningstar

Aug 30, 2022
Shaggy's food is beyond awful. The drinks and ambiance of the place are good though.
This might be, but at that price point there are literally 10 other places, at least in the metro area that I can think of off the top of my head, that are much better. Seeing the giant toilet known as the reservoir, I will pass. Maybe the one on the coast is much better in terms of food and scenery. I just do not see why anybody would waste their time at the reservoir location.

dawgman42

Jul 24, 2007

I like that even when I come back to Jackson to visit family, I can still see part of those ole concrete slides there. Good times (and bad burns).

Reactions: Darryl Steight

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008

Then you must remember "Tunes Till 2:00" w/ David Adcock?

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
This might be, but at that price point there are literally 10 other places, at least in the metro area that I can think of off the top of my head, that are much better. Seeing the giant toilet known as the reservoir, I will pass. Maybe the one on the coast is much better in terms of food and scenery. I just do not see why anybody would waste their time at the reservoir location.
My MIL lives on the Reservoir and has been to Shaggy’s there. When we went to the one in Pensacola Beach she said the food was 10x better than the Res.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
I’m thinking Classix, Crossroads. Mack’s, Landing, Mulligans, Christy’s, and for the River Rats PJs.
Classix - come for the zooming music, stay to watch the ecstasy induced "dancing". PJ's - had a cousin toss someone through the plate glass window there during a fight. It was his last straw with local law enforcement. He was offered to enlist with the military or go to jail. Airborne Ranger it was...

Reactions: theoriginalSALTYdog

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
I like that even when I come back to Jackson to visit family, I can still see part of those ole concrete slides there. Good times (and bad burns).
yep. I like that whoever did the demo only had to patience to push a little dirt over most of it while leaving the apex of some of the twists just poking out of the dirt. I was a little nervous when I first went to waterland and they had no mats to slide on because my only prior water park experience was those 2 lanes of 60 grit concrete on the hill in south jackson.

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022

I went to those damn concrete-burn inducing water slides on I-55 all the time back then. They even had ramps in the middle of the slides so you would definitely be more likely to fall off the mat and lose some skin. But it was big fun for us.

But I remember it as "Water Whirl"... maybe it changed names at some point?

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
I went to those damn concrete-burn inducing water slides on I-55 all the time back then. They even had ramps in the middle of the slides so you would definitely be more likely to fall off the mat and lose some skin. But it was big fun for us.

But I remember it as "Water Whirl"... maybe it changed names at some point?
Maybe "Water World"? I will default to nearly anyone's memory above mine. Just in case you want a real throwback, these still exist: https://sunbritches.com/

I had a pair of the dreamsicles. They were not very comfortable...

fieldcorporal

Nov 1, 2010
Had to be early 80's I stopped for a guy with a broke down motorcycle north of Canton. He said he was the owner of the Dock. I drove him to the dock and he wrote "complimentary night for 2" on the back of a business card and signed it. Girlfriend -now wife -and I went on the next saturday. Food and drinks never stopped. A great p!ace.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Went there 2-3 times with cousins when we were visiting grandparents who lived in South Jackson back in the day.

MagicDawg

Nov 11, 2010
You can still sort of see the remnants of Wet N Wild on the hill, if you know what you're looking for.

I remember in junior high our church youth group took our beat up old bus to go there. The boys would have to get out and push it to get it started, and then we'd run around and jump in. We had to do that at Wet N Wild -- pushed it so it would go down the hill and then we ran down and got in. The early 80s were a different time.

Bulldog45

Oct 2, 2018
The boys would have to get out and push it to get it started, and then we'd run around and jump in. We had to do that at Wet N Wild -- pushed it so it would go down the hill and then we ran down and got in. The early 80s were a different time.
That was us after away football games. Not bad after a win but pretty embarrassing after a loss

Reactions: jethreauxdawg

Mud84

Oct 14, 2012
I lived at The Breakers in High School. I spent many a nights listening to the fun being had over there. Wouldnt you know it that a few months before i turned 21 it shut its doors. I was so heart broken. I coudlnt WAIT to be able to party there and ride my boat back across the bay.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login