Forum software - threaded view...

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
I ask this every year or 2 to get a feel. How tied are we to threaded view? Would it make you less likely to visit? Newer versions of forum software are much easier to use (embedding tweets, posting pics, etc).

The only reason we still use this version is because of threaded. I love it and I know some people use it exclusively (even on their mobile device). Give me your thoughts.

Example of threaded:

View attachment 24212

Shmuley

Mar 6, 2008
DS, I use threaded. But I’ll still be around without threaded.

CochiseCowbell

Oct 29, 2012
I'm a fan of threaded view as well. It's easier to see who replied to whom without long quotes. I like being able to select and read certain parts of threads (or sub-threads) if something new has been added instead of scrolling through the entire thread again.

On mobile I'm not sure what I use. All I can see is page 1 of topics. Which is probably enough for mobile.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
I like threaded. For the life of me, I don't understand why folks like to just scroll and scroll through all replies. I guess some just like to stare at the phone, but I rarely post from the phone for this reason. So, you may cut down on my visits, but that may be a welcome occurrence.

In an age where message boards are much less popular, this one has stayed viable. I'd take that into account. I think threaded view has a lot to do with it.

ED is more of a phone-wielding, emotionally-posting hot take crowd.

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
I'm a fan of threaded view as well. It's easier to see who replied to whom without long quotes. I like being able to select and read certain parts of threads (or sub-threads) if something new has been added instead of scrolling through the entire thread again.

On mobile I'm not sure what I use. All I can see is page 1 of topics. Which is probably enough for mobile.
You can't go to page 2?

patdog

May 28, 2007
Do not change the view. I will never understand why anyone would want to use the other one. It's awful. Why make people scroll through the whole thread to find the one or two new posts they haven't read, when they can just see immediately and click on just those posts in threaded?

TrueMaroonGrind

Jan 6, 2017
I use threaded view on mobile, but it would be nice to have a more modernized interface. I can adapt to whatever the board wants.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
I use and love threaded view both on desktop and mobile.

I'll be around without threaded but...

CochiseCowbell

Oct 29, 2012
You can't go to page 2?

I worded that wrong. Yes, I can go to other pages. I think I might use hybrid view on mobile. I was trying to say that all I see are the topics and not all the responses until I select one, which is fine for me. It would take forever to scroll past threaded view of topics on mobile.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
I am already using it and it is a lot better. You know who is responding to who with out having to open it up and see the quote.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I ask this every year or 2 to get a feel. How tied are we to threaded view? Would it make you less likely to visit? Newer versions of forum software are much easier to use (embedding tweets, posting pics, etc).

The only reason we still use this version is because of threaded. I love it and I know some people use it exclusively (even on their mobile device). Give me your thoughts.

Example of threaded:

View attachment 24212

The one thing I like about non-threaded is that you don't have to search to figure out if there is a new post to a thread. As long as people quote who they are responding to (doesn't have to be the whole quote, but something to let people follow the conversation), then the non-threaded view works just as well to me.

I would not stick with a more unwieldy platform just to preserve threaded view. Just tell people to quote what they are responding to and we'll know the ones that don't do that are dubmasses that would only have a 19.83% chance of making more than a 24 on the english section of the ACT.

Aug 22, 2012
Threaded view is great. Like others, I don't understand why people wouldn't use it. But if it went away, it's not like I'm gonna go join Gene's Page or something. I have some standards after all.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Nuke it.

ETA: I go to a Pentax camera forum that certainly feels like the same software, but updated. It took about a week to get used to it, but it's no big deal. Way easier to do stuff like post photos.

Last edited:

ZombieKissinger

May 29, 2013
Love threaded but would stay either way probably. Could see myself not as engaged and disappearing in time with another view but wouldn’t be my intention

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
Any forum software that has built-in gifs of donald duck jerkin' it?

missouridawg

Oct 6, 2009
I use threaded and prefer that style.

But if you take it away, I will go to GenesPage. I will wear jorts and I will responsibly abstain from posting weatherman erotica gifs.*

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
I prefer threaded even on mobile. Sidenote - I’ve somehow been locked out of threaded view on one of my iPhones. Every time I click the “full site” link, it gives me an error. Anyone know how to fix?

This problem by itself has made me realize how much more I prefer threaded view.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004

Example of threaded:

View attachment 24212
Will it affect hybrid view? If so I’m out and I’ve known you over 35 years so you have to listen to me.***********************
^hope there are enough sarcasterisks

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012

Example of threaded:

View attachment 24212

Ultimately I will go along to get along, but I'm a big fan of the threaded view.

ababyatemydingo

Nov 27, 2008
I prefer threaded even on mobile. Sidenote - I’ve somehow been locked out of threaded view on one of my iPhones. Every time I click the “full site” link, it gives me an error. Anyone know how to fix?

This problem by itself has made me realize how much more I prefer threaded view.

Clear your cookies and history on your iPhone browser. That should fix it. Probably just a corrupted cookie

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Threaded because it makes conversation easier to follow when others dont quote. Without quotes, the topic view can get really confusing as to who a response is for. If someone just says '17 that' in response and there are 4 suggestions above, whose suggestion is that for? If one poster is paindonthurt, then its reasonable to assume his idea is the one that is rejected, but there are still lots of situations when pain dont post.

Dawgpile

May 23, 2006
I use threaded on the laptop just out of habit I guess, but if it weren't available it wouldn't be a deal killer for me.

I use the mobile view on my phone and without quotes it makes it difficult to know who's replying to what. I assume if we lost the threaded view that would change so I'm good either way.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
I use threaded view on PC or tablet but topic on phone, threaded is too small to see on my phone easily enough. I seldom if ever post on the phone using topic view because I don't see any way to post pics, links, quotes, etc

PBRME

Feb 12, 2004
99% of the time mobile view. Only swap to threaded to post a pic or gif. Only 50% of the time will it post. 100% of the time it’s a pain in the *** to use on my phone.

PhredPhantom

Mar 3, 2008
I may be the oddball (wouldn't be the first time) but I prefer the Topic View on mobile and desktop. The Threaded View takes up too much vertical space on the screen. Topic view takes a lot less and is quicker. The Topic View just seems neater and more organized to me.

If I want to just see the new posts since the last time I looked at that thread, on mobile I click on the arrow to the right of the topic and on desktop I just click on the little blue button to the left of the thread title and it opens the thread up at that point. Also, the titles for the threads that have no new posts since the last time I viewed them are "grayed out" so I can see that I don't need to check them again.

Dawg496

Feb 18, 2014
Probably in minority, but I have no idea how to use threaded view and I hate it haha (evidenced by me probably not replying correctly).

Anyway, hopefully you see this message. Vote to go modern and get rid of threaded.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
I don’t use threaded view.. I do like the threaded view for keeping up with replies, I just don’t like the way it looks on mobile.

ETA: if the updated platform would give the ability to easily post pictures on mobile that would be great. Maybe I’m just a dumb *** and don’t know how to post pics on mobile but I’ve never been able to figure it out.

Last edited:

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
Threaded. Why fix something that's working ?

Because there are some features we can't have. Like easily uploading a picture from a mobile device. Pasting a link for a tweet and it embedding automatically. The backend database software we use is out of support.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
I use both but in the world a software if you don't update things stop working. Plus you have to update with all the Mobile tech now. Think it best go with the new software DS even if threaded doesn't work.

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
Why are threaded and added features mutually exclusive?

We can't have both?

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login