Forum software - threaded view...

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
We can't have both?

Find an existing forum software that has a threaded view like this but with more current features.

Development for this version of vbulletin is not even supported by vbulletin. They stopped in 2017.

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
I use both but in the world a software if you don't update things stop working. Plus you have to update with all the Mobile tech now. Think it best go with the new software DS even if threaded doesn't work.

That's my dilemma. Do we update but lose a huge feature that most of us like.

Augustus McCrae

Aug 25, 2012

If all the features we gain outweigh the threaded view, I say go for it. If not, just keep it as is. That said, it seems like we may be delaying the inevitable if the current software is out of support. Tough call. I personally prefer topic view but understand why others prefer threaded. I’ll be here mostly lurking either way. I just enjoy the conversations here no matter how they are displayed. My $.02

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Perfect is the enemy of good.

If it works and gives you fewer headaches, go for it.

But be prepared for multitudes of Abe Simpsons yelling at clouds.

Baddmann

Sep 20, 2015
I'm probably in the minority, but I don't like threaded view and don't use it. With that said, if you update and switch to 100% threaded I guess I will have to learn to live with it. Lol

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014

Yeah that's a tough call. I really haven't researched forum software a lot to know what's out there. I just know in a lot of the software stuff I work with once something reaches end of support things start breaking and become very difficulty to use snd manage in mobile browsers. Desktop it probably won't be a major problem but even then might could cause a compatibility issue with some browser as they release updates.

I might would prefer to use something that works better with mobile because that's what I view the site on mostly now. But if a lot of people still use desktop they may not see that as much.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
This one has been fairly easy to use compared to a lot of other forums I've visited. Some are very hard to follow or not as user friendly with the buttons and page navigation

PapaDawg

Nov 19, 2014
I am old and don’t like change, but if threaded goes away, I will adapt and still hang around.

Beretta.sixpack

Oct 29, 2009
I prefer threaded....that Jeanspage crap stinks....

I hate scrolling through all the replies, especially on a long thread....I just stop....

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
I use threaded view but I was today years old when I realized that I used threaded view. I’d read this crap if it was printed on a roll of toilet paper, probably in the same room sitting in the same chair.

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
I'm the last person that would know how to find one

Find an existing forum software that has a threaded view like this but with more current features.

Development for this version of vbulletin is not even supported by vbulletin. They stopped in 2017.

Just wild to me that there wouldn't be a well featured product that also has threaded views. Is it a cost thing?

Yeti

Feb 20, 2018
Threaded view please …now can Threaded Added features be the up down vote?

cowbell88

Jan 11, 2009
I’m always on default mobile. To hard to read the threaded view. If I zoom in, then have to scroll left and right to read. If, I turn phone it’s awkward to hold with one hand and scroll.

App based treaded view that automatically sizes font for phone viewing would be awesome.

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
Threaded view is like betamax and plasma TVs, better technology just doesn't always win. Threaded allows for the multi-level conversation. Doing the quote reply only shows what you are replying to but not what caused that reply.

I do not use threaded on my phone most of the time so if that's were it goes, fine. Especially if I can post pics from the phone in that mode.

J-Dawg

Mar 4, 2009
I use topic view on desktop and mobile. Would enjoy better functionality on embedding tweets/pics, especially on mobile.

On mobile I can never see embedded pics or tweets for that matter.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Honestly, the best thing about threaded view is knowing who is responding to what, which is difficult on mobile. I generally use reply with quote so it's known what I'm responding to.

If there's a good alternate way to do that in the new version, that would be great.

That being said. I've been here since the Yuku days and I'll be here if we change. I mean... what am I going to do? Go to Gene's Page or Elite Dawgs?

MaxwellSmart

May 28, 2007
I only come here on my phone anymore so I'm used to topic view. Doesn't really matter to me.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login