Free Throws - MSU Women vs Men

wrapit

Nov 30, 2008
Can someone explain to me why our women's team shoots FTs so much better than our men's team? It's drastic.
For one thing, the ladies FT form looks much more smooth and relaxed but what else? Why such a difference in results?

RocketDawg

Oct 21, 2011
They're shorter than the men and have shorter arms, so their ball trajectory has more of an arc, reaching the rim somewhat more vertically than the men, whose trajectory is flatter.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
Ple
They're shorter than the men and have shorter arms, so their ball trajectory has more of an arc, reaching the rim somewhat more vertically than the men, whose trajectory is flatter.

Everybody puts a different arc on their shot and plenty of men have been excellent free throw shooters.

It's a simple matter of effort.

If you want to be a great free throw shooter and you're physically capable, you can be.

Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

RocketDawg

Oct 21, 2011
Ple

Everybody puts a different arc on their shot and plenty of men have been excellent free throw shooters.

If you want to be a great free throw shooter and you're physically capable, you can be.
It sounded good at the time. But those men who were good at FTs may have been shorter than the average average male player. We need a funded government study of the issue.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Ple

That's not really how it works. I played with plenty of people that practiced shooting a lot and just weren't good shooters.

I do think for some of the bigger players, it's kind of like the rest of us shooting a miniature basketball at a fisher price goal. This might partly account for Tolu. But mostly we just have players that don't have a feel for shooting. Still shouldn't be this bad but it's not like it's just a matter of practice and everybody can be an 85% FT shooter. I honestly don't understand why it's not that way for FTs; you'd think everybody could get close to that, or at least 75% after accounting for being tired in a game and maybe out of rhythm. But I've watched enough people practice and play to be convinced that's not the way it works.

Reactions: drumrcraig

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
It sounded good at the time. But those men who were good at FTs may have been shorter than the average average male player. We need a funded government study of the issue.
Chris Mullin was 6'7" and was 86.5% from the line in his career.

That's as tall or taller than all but 4 of the current men's roster:
Tolu
McNair
Murphy
Stevenson

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Ok, so I was clowning the height thing, but there may be some data to back it up:

The basketballprospectus.com link in the article was dead, but I found another good data-driven analysis thing:

Reactions: drumrcraig

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
Ok, so I was clowning the height thing, but there may be some data to back it up:

The basketballprospectus.com link in the article was dead, but I found another good data-driven analysis thing:
I don't think height has anything to do with it other than the position they play. Obviously, a Center is shooting the ball 99% of the time inside the free throw line while guards are usually shooting it from outside the FT line. If you are used to shooting 3 point shots then a FT looks like a gimme.

$altyDawg

Aug 30, 2018
Larry Bird is 6'10" and shot just under 90% FT's for his career. Michael Jordan 6'6" finished about 83%. Even Charles Barkley was over 70%. It's about effort and how much practice is being put into it.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
That's not really how it works. I played with plenty of people that practiced shooting a lot and just weren't good shooters.

I do think for some of the bigger players, it's kind of like the rest of us shooting a miniature basketball at a fisher price goal. This might partly account for Tolu. But mostly we just have players that don't have a feel for shooting. Still shouldn't be this bad but it's not like it's just a matter of practice and everybody can be an 85% FT shooter. I honestly don't understand why it's not that way for FTs; you'd think everybody could get close to that, or at least 75% after accounting for being tired in a game and maybe out of rhythm. But I've watched enough people practice and play to be convinced that's not the way it works.

Make whatever excuse you want for ****** free throw shooters.

Real effort should get you to 70% no problem.

I promise you I don't have a feel for shooting and I never reached 5' 10" no matter how hard I prayed. Never shot under 70% from the line, even as a 6th grader. You'll have a hard time convincing me I had physical advantages over a 6' 10" guy that allowed me to be a better FT shooter.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
I like her early stuff. You know, "Lucky Star," "Borderline" - but once she got into her "Papa Don't Preach" phase, I don't know, I tuned out.

Papa don't Preach sucks azz.

Always had a strange affinity for Like a Prayer. Only Madonna or pre Madonna song I ever stopped flipping stations for .

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012

Always had a strange affinity for Like a Prayer. Only Madonna or pre Madonna song I ever stopped flipping stations for .
She had/has a terrible singing voice. She was lucky that anyone listened to her.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007

You Betcha Quentin Tarantino GIF

Reactions: She Mate Me

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Make whatever excuse you want for ****** free throw shooters.

Real effort should get you to 70% no problem.

I promise you I don't have a feel for shooting and I never reached 5' 10" no matter how hard I prayed. Never shot under 70% from the line, even as a 6th grader. You'll have a hard time convincing me I had physical advantages over a 6' 10" guy that allowed me to be a better FT shooter.
That's like saying real effort should allow you to hit a curveball. If it's true, there are a lot of baseball players that spend hours upon hours of practice and still can't hit for ****. Odd that they aren't giving real effort when they have to be out there anyway.

• Sad

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
That's like saying real effort should allow you to hit a curveball. If it's true, there are a lot of baseball players that spend hours upon hours of practice and still can't hit for ****. Odd that they aren't giving real effort when they have to be out there anyway.

There's way more involved in hitting a baseball than free throw shooting.

We're not going to come to an agreement on this one. Shocking for an Internet discussion.

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
Let's see, standing flat footed with the defense neuralized doing something by yourself that you've done 1000 times before is harder than basemen jumping around, facing a pitcher that you haven't faced before with a curve ball that breaks a foot? I'll take my chances at the free throw line! Thanks

Feb 20, 2011
Can someone explain to me why our women's team shoots FTs so much better than our men's team? It's drastic.
For one thing, the ladies FT form looks much more smooth and relaxed but what else? Why such a difference in results?
If we shot 80% from the line in our losses, it would only change the outcome of one of those games.

For reference, shooting 80% as a team would place us in the top 5 in the NCAA in FT%.

I am in no way considering the game situation of those FT attempts or misses. Only looking at whether or not making 80% of FTs attempted would overcome the deficit in that game.

Also.... I HATE missed FTs. Just pointing out these numbers.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login