fried okra - Rafter's in New Albany

InTheIttaBenaHotSun

Jan 9, 2016
If you like it and you find yourself around New Albany sometime, you probably need to stop by and get you some.

In 53 yrs, this batch tonight is the best I've ever had.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
When a man starts a thread just to talk about fried okra, I listen.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
I mean if it's worthy of taking the time to post about it then.... Agreed

bully12

Sep 2, 2012
Better than Dickey’s?

Honestly, some of the best I've had was at, of all places, The Little Dooey in Starkvegas during the disastrous Tennessee weekend. I ordered it, expecting it to be average at best; I should have known better.

InTheIttaBenaHotSun

Jan 9, 2016
Is it better? 😂 Absolutely...Dickey's is small frozen with batter made in factory. What I had tonight was garden fresh, large and batter that must a been made by grandma. Was really good.

Okra and purple hull peas for me.....y'all can have all the rest.

11thEagleFan

Sep 6, 2015
Let me put it this way. I’ve never had BAD fried okra. But I’ve also never had any that made me want to go tell the Pack about it. This okra intrigues me.

garddog

Dec 10, 2008
Only one way to make great fried okra, cut it fresh, salt and pepper, then put your breading on, which should be 6 parts cornmeal to 1 part flour blended. Preferably Sunflower branded meal and flour.

Simple recipe that goes back nearly 100 years or more from my grandma's family. Easier now since you can buy self rising.

Same mixture makes great cornbread, just add milk till it just barely will pour from the bowl. Melted Butter in the hot skillet and some on top.

Eleven Bravo

Aug 31, 2018
Is it better? 😂 Absolutely...Dickey's is small frozen with batter made in factory. What I had tonight was garden fresh, large and batter that must a been made by grandma. Was really good.

Okra and purple hull peas for me.....y'all can have all the rest.

I concur with you, Sir-the only thing that makes that combination better for me is a few slices of a good home-grown tomato. That combo with a piece of cornbread is near enough to being in Heaven for this ol’ country boy…

dog12

Sep 15, 2016
If you like it and you find yourself around New Albany sometime, you probably need to stop by and get you some.

I 17ing love fried okra. Hands down, it is my most favorite vegetable dish.

I live in Virginia and have no clue where New Albany is, but I will try to get there next time I'm in Missisippi.

Dawgtini

Aug 13, 2007
Only one way to make great fried okra, cut it fresh, salt and pepper, then put your breading on, which should be 6 parts cornmeal to 1 part flour blended. Preferably Sunflower branded meal and flour.

Simple recipe that goes back nearly 100 years or more from my grandma's family. Easier now since you can buy self rising.

Same mixture makes great cornbread, just add milk till it just barely will pour from the bowl. Melted Butter in the hot skillet and some on top.

Same here but Replace butter with bacon grease for the cornbread. You can add butter at the table.

WilCoDawg

Sep 6, 2012
Sir, you’ve obviously never eaten at a buffet restaurant then if you’ve never had BAD fried okra. And your Mama should slap you if you’ve never felt the need to brag on her okra.

msstatelp1

Aug 21, 2012
I 17ing love fried okra. Hands down, it is my most favorite vegetable dish.

I live in Virginia and have no clue where New Albany is, but I will try to get there next time I'm in Missisippi.

60 miles southeast of the MS/TN line on Hwy 78 (I-22). Basically SE of Memphis.

Last edited:

bruiser.sixpack

Aug 13, 2009
As long as it is fresh cut, mama battered, pan fried, almost burnt around the edges to where it crunches when you eat it.

This pre-battered frozen stuff deep fried is plum awful. I want my fried squash and my fried okra crunchy pan fried in home made batter. Yellow and zucchini both!

Edited to add that I also prefer purple hull peas to black eyes. And give me green butter beans not speckled, not white, and not Lima.

Bill Shankly

Nov 27, 2020
Does anyone know of a place to regularly and reliably buy fresh okra in the Tupelo-GTR area? I'd drive a bit to get it. I'd love to grow it but we gave up a long time ago growing anything where we live. We live in the edge of town and have tons of deer, but can't shoot them. They are used to humans and the usual prevention stuff doesn't work. We don't want to fence in the back yard because we enjoy all the critters. Back to the okra, I love it fried but that's not why I want to get it. I discovered grilling it a few years ago. Take the whole pods, spay on some olive oil, sprinkle on some Cajun or BBQ seasoning to your taste, and then wrap it in bacon and throw it on the grill. Thank me after you try it.

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
Does anyone know of a place to regularly and reliably buy fresh okra in the Tupelo-GTR area? I'd drive a bit to get it. I'd love to grow it but we gave up a long time ago growing anything where we live. We live in the edge of town and have tons of deer, but can't shoot them. They are used to humans and the usual prevention stuff doesn't work. We don't want to fence in the back yard because we enjoy all the critters. Back to the okra, I love it fried but that's not why I want to get it. I discovered grilling it a few years ago. Take the whole pods, spay on some olive oil, sprinkle on some Cajun or BBQ seasoning to your taste, and then wrap it in bacon and throw it on the grill. Thank me after you try it.
Pontotoc does a Farmers Market on Saturdays, also I bet the Amish have some down at Randolph.

stateu1

Mar 21, 2016
As long as it is fresh cut, mama battered, pan fried, almost burnt around the edges to where it crunches when you eat it.

This pre-battered frozen stuff deep fried is plum awful. I want my fried squash and my fried okra crunchy pan fried in home made batter. Yellow and zucchini both!

Edited to add that I also prefer purple hull peas to black eyes. And give me green butter beans not speckled, not white, and not Lima.

This is the right answer.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Mayhew Tomato Farm had it last weekend and Greg's Produce at Longview usually has it although I haven't been out there this year

Choctaw Dawg

May 21, 2017
I am certain you meant buttermilk and not plain milk?
Love cooking with buttermilk, I will absolutely never buy it to drink though. Every time I buy it I will drink a swallow because I keep thinking I will gain a taste for it. Has not come close to happening yet.

Hellsyeah

May 22, 2013
I’ve been to Rafters probably 30 times, never had the Okra. I guess I will have to try it next time.
Same here. I’ve been multiple times and have never gotten the okra. But the cheese grit side is also very, very good. I’ve actually never gotten a bad meal from there

BELdog

Aug 23, 2012
Honestly, some of the best I've had was at, of all places, The Little Dooey in Starkvegas during the disastrous Tennessee weekend. I ordered it, expecting it to be average at best; I should have known better.

Little Dooey’s fried okra comes pre-breaded in a bag and they just throw it in the fryer. Not bad, but nothing special.

bolddogge

Aug 23, 2012
I call it garden popcorn. I've been kicked out of my mom's kitchen for eating her fried okra as fast as she could make it. It would've never make it to the table otherwise.

JML105

Sep 4, 2012
Church's Chicken has some of the best fried okra outside of my grandmother's kitchen.

ByTor SnowDawg

Nov 4, 2021
Garddog, can you freeze okra w/ your recipe? Reason being, I'm going to have a boatload of okra in the next week going til frost. Love to know how to put it up.

ByTor SnowDawg

Nov 4, 2021
Shank, I got ya covered. I've probably got 200 plants in the garden close to ya. I'll let ya know when it's ready.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007

I miss working in my grandmother's garden growing okra and everything else. She put me out there with her when I was seven or eight years old and taught me how to till up the ground, plant seeds, and then handed me a hoe to start pulling grass. I said around and shield purple whole peas and butter beans and went through the stickiness of cutting fresh okra with her and reaching into a maze of tomato vines to grab the freshest and ripest beef steak tomatoes off to make a fresh tomato slices for a meal that was 80% vegetables out of the garden. I've never had a crew that has ever come close to tasting that good. I have hey strong feeling it's because I helped create it from seed to harvest. If there was one thing I could give my kids it would be a summer in grandma's garden from tiling to planting and then harvesting.

The last time I came back to Mississippi I went over to the old house and it was amazing how much that huge garden area has shrunk in size since the memories from when I was a kid. This is yet another instance I like my memories more than the real thing.

garddog

Dec 10, 2008
Garddog, can you freeze okra w/ your recipe? Reason being, I'm going to have a boatload of okra in the next week going til frost. Love to know how to put it up.

Yep, get you some quart freezer bags, make a big pan, then get all the air you can out, but don't crush it. Pull it out during winter, break it apart, drop it in hot grease while still frozen. If you thaw it too much it clumps. I usually pull it up halfway through and use a fork to break any clumps I do get up. Works in the skillet or the fry daddy.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login