From Ross Dellenger on scholarships

MStateDawg

Aug 3, 2021
what's the rationale for increasing football rosters to 105 and hopefully most ADs/University Presidents aren't supporting that move. I realize the advantage for the top 10 or so programs for what about the remaining 50 or so programs?
The legal settlement the NCAA is going thru is going to negate schools’ abilities to limit financial benefits, thus the only way to cap it is with roster limits. No more partial scholships. No more walkons. Each sport can now give full scholarships up to each sport’s roster limit.

tired

Sep 16, 2013
Players want to play & make it to the league. Initially they may see the bright lights of Bama, GA, LSU, etc, but in their minds, they can't make it to the league sitting on the bench.

Also an offer from a blue blood means they're worth $$$, or so the player will believe. The BBs can't pay millions to 100 players. Some will transfer, some will see the depth chart and say nah. It'll course correct.

Don't discount Jeff Lebby. He knows the game as well as anyone & will prepare thoroughly for the new landscape.

I do ask though, is this sustainable with the boosters? A lot of new players, a lot more money.

Reactions: BirdPuppy

Yeti

Feb 20, 2018
Do you have to be at 105? Maybe you stay at 85 and pay more NIL money to a smaller number ?

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
The baseball D1 is about to shrink big time.

More than ever before, we need to constantly be raiding the upper class benchwarmers are the blue blood football programs. There will be more talent there now.

I honestly don’t know what prompted the “commissioners” to do this. Seems like a lot more expense. Guess it’s something about that settlement that I don’t understand.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Yeah, and I'm just re-quoting what I read in an article a few months ago, but the piece that I remember reading about Title IX is that it is 100% focused on equal "opportunity" to play rather than any kind of pay/NIL equality. Therefore, what I took from it is that as long as women are still able to receive the same ability to participate in college sports by way of scholarship, Title IX doesn't say a word about any form of payment beyond that. Of course, it was also written well before this became a thing, so who knows what might change with it in the future

I guess the weird thing to me about this recent scholarship increase ruling, though, is that even without getting into NIL, it's like the NCAA has just thrown Title IX's equal scholarship legislation out the window. Makes me wonder if one of the unwritten repercussions of the recent settlement ruling was that Title IX itself was in fact illegal. It has 100% limited certain individuals' ability to get a scholarship over the years
Title IX doesn't say a word about the ability to participate in college sports by way of scholarship either. And it explicitly says that disparate treatment isn't required because of an imbalance.

Basically everything anybody thinks they know about Title IX is not really something in or required by the statue that is Title IX. The vast majority of what people think of as "Title IX" is just rules made up by bureaucrats. Some of it is pretty consistent with the statute. A lot of it (most of it?) is them just taking Title IX as a mandate to legislate "fairness" without regard to the language in the statute.

ababyatemydingo

Nov 27, 2008
Because very rarely will players with a Alabama, LSU, Florida, Georgia, Tenn, Texas, Oklahoma or Auburn scholarship offer choose another school not in that group, so those teams will now collectively taking 160 players a year that would have otherwise gone to State, ole miss, Kentucky, Arkansas, etc. and been the best signees of the class. That's a lot of additional talent being kept with the top programs.

Plus it gives those teams 23.5% more room for error in evaluations, which is significant (though probably less so with the portal).

It also gives them more depth. Yes, it gives us more depth too, but our depth is now going to be guys that would have otherwise gone to Tulane, Memphis or ULL. Their depth will be guys like Bookie Watson, DeRunnya Wilson, Beniquez Brown, Jamar Chaney, Josh Robinson, etc. who were right on the fringe of getting offers from preferred schools but instead dropped to us.
That's how Bear Bryant won so many championships at Bama. Back then, he could sign as many as he wanted. And he did. Just to keep them from signing with someone who might slip up and beat him. We have idiots running the NCAA

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
For all of the transport portal haters. You’d better be glad we have it now. If you think the blue bloods can stockpile now, just imagine how worse it would be with the threat of players having to sit out a year.

Irondawg

Dec 2, 2007
Football should have been around 75 scholarhips - maybe 80. Baseball probably should have been 25-30. Basketball fine at 15 and then would be nice to add men's soccer more nationally but I know not everyone agrees with that.

Reactions: idog

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Football should have been around 75 scholarhips - maybe 80. Baseball probably should have been 25-30. Basketball fine at 15 and then would be nice to add men's soccer more nationally but I know not everyone agrees with that.
Truth. Makes you wonder how the “commissioners” won the vote on this. I can’t imagine anyone outside of 15-20 teams wanted it. I’m guessing the blue bloods put pressure on the others in their conference to vote for it. It’s going to accelerate the move to a P5-only division.

maroonmania

Feb 23, 2008
I'm pretty much done with college football. They just keep doing things to make the least competitive major sport out there less competitive. This is like rolling college football back 60 years to the Bear Bryant days of player hoarding. Tell you what, lets just let the top 15 to 20 blue blood schools play football and everyone else can just find something else to do in the Fall. :rolleyes:

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I'm pretty much done with college football. They just keep doing things to make the least competitive major sport out there less competitive. This is like rolling college football back 60 years to the Bear Bryant days of player hoarding. Tell you what, lets just let the top 15 to 20 blue blood schools play football and everyone else can just find something else to do in the Fall. :rolleyes:
They are eventually going to try and take on the NFL - and they will get their asssses beat. At that time, perhaps this thing retracts back a little bit.

They like to play like this money coming in to these schools is big time......the NFL pays that level of money to single players.

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
Can someone explain the argument for increasing football scholarships from 85 to 105? Who was asking for that?

Every team already has scholarship players who can't get snaps and jump in the portal. The already bonkers transfer portal is about to go berserk.

Anon1669338224

Nov 24, 2022
Because blue-bloods can stockpile talented players that were forced to sign elsewhere before. We will miss out on signing a ton of MS players due to this and will have to raid 'lesser' schools for their talent.
We will eventually get some back with the portal for playing time.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
Great advice from a friend: only casually watch the games only, and disengage from all the pre-season talk, NIL talk, portal talk, DUI talk,game week talk, post game talk, etc. It's kind of like watching an NFL team that you really just loosely follow.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Can someone explain the argument for increasing football scholarships from 85 to 105? Who was asking for that?

Every team already has scholarship players who can't get snaps and jump in the portal. The already bonkers transfer portal is about to go berserk.
I think the argument for the bluebloods is that it will further cement their advantages. I think the justification that will be used publicly is that it shows that more money is going back to the players in one of the two sports that generates the vast majority of the margins. Also probably part of the justification is that it increases opportunities for all players to get an education rather than just increasing the pay to the top players?

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Here’s the full list of new roster limits:

SportSexOld limitNew limitIncrease
TumblingWomen145541
BaseballMen11.73422.3
BasketballMen13152
BasketballWomen15150
Beach volleyballWomen61913
BowlingWomen5116
Cross countryMen51712
Cross countryWomen61711
EquestrianWomen155035
FencingMen4.52419.5
FencingWomen52419
Field hockeyWomen122715
FootballMen8510520
GolfMen4.594.5
GolfWomen693
GymMen6.32013.7
GymWomen12208
Ice hockeyMen18268
Ice hockeyWomen18268
TrackMen12.64535.4
TrackWomen184527
LacrosseMen12.64835.4
LacrosseWomen123826
RifleBoth3.6128.4
RowingWomen206848
SkiingMen6.3169.7
SkiingWomen7169
SoccerMen9.92818.1
SoccerWomen142814
SoftballWomen122513
StuntBoth146551
SwimMen9.93020.1
SwimWomen143016
TennisMen4.5105.5
TennisWomen8102
TriathlonWomen6.5147.5
VolleyballMen4.51813.5
VolleyballWomen12186
Water poloMen4.52419.5
Water poloWomen82416
WrestlingMen9.93020.1
WrestlingWomen103020

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
How does increase in scholarships affect the bottom line for tuition and bulldog club? What are we talking about - 150 more scholarships overall?

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
How does increase in scholarships affect the bottom line for tuition and bulldog club? What are we talking about - 150 more scholarships overall?
That’s what I was wondering, Track and Field, Tennis, Golf, Soccer, Softball all at least doubled on scholarships.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022

It doesn’t appear that anyone can answer this.

It appears to me just a power move by the P4/whatever. And it’s going to result in less overall spots throughout college sports, because only big ones will fund most of this. Good for the elite, but the middle and lower class will melt away.

Did we mention that the enrollment cliff is coming? There’s a storm on the horizon for college athletics. Reminds me of 2005/2006 with the housing bubble.

The leaders in charge are absolute idiots.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
BSB - 22.3
MBK - 2
WBK - 0
FB - 20
WG - 3
MG - 4.5
WSOC - 14
SB - 13
MT - 5.5
WT - 2
WVB - 6
WCC - 11
MTF - 35.4
WTF - 27

Total: 165.7 (though I think Cross Country and Track & Field might overlap?)

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
It's not a requirement to go to that limit, and we likely will not. Also, the NCAA is not going to be around much longer, so all of this is going to change.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
It's not a requirement to go to that limit, and we likely will not. Also, the NCAA is not going to be around much longer, so all of this is going to change.
We’re going to do whatever the SEC tells us to do. As far as football and basketball.

We better fund baseball. All I will say about that.

idog

Aug 17, 2010
This follows the simple rule of a capitalistic society: those that got gets.

I understand piling more into the money making sport but the majority of football fans are tired of the lack of parity. The disdain for NIL is an example of that. This will amplify it. We will get raided by bigger programs annually. They will not use those 20 scholarships for high school kids.

I would rather see the addition of D1 men’s soccer to the SEC.

Reactions: peewee.sixpack

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012

I understand piling more into the money making sport but the majority of football fans are tired of the lack of parity. The disdain for NIL is an example of that. This will amplify it. We will get raided by bigger programs annually. They will not use those 20 scholarships for high school kids.

The majority of football fans are still watching each week and in some weeks in record numbers. They’re just not vocal on this message board or the Twitter accounts you’re following. SEC D1 men’s soccer would set the record for the lowest rated and least attended sport in the conference because it occurs during football season.

maroonmania

Feb 23, 2008

Football will make the same exact money whether each team has 75 scholarships or 105 scholarships. In fact, having 20 extra scholarships to fund in football just makes it that much harder to fund all the additional scholarships in the non-revenue sports.

outsidedawg

Jun 9, 2011
It seems like all of the sports are decreasing roster size to a hard limit, but allowing scholarships optionally up to that limit (ie 105 for football or 28 for soccer). In soccer’s case, that means you’ve got to cut roster down to 28 by Fall of 25. And schools then have to figure out which sports will get the full allowance of scholarships. Obviously we will fund 105 in football, but will be interesting to see what happens in other sports across the country. Do you think this will be something out in the open? Will we know if State is offering the full allotment in each sport (ie increasing soccer scholarships from 14 to 28, or other non-revenue sports? Will schools close non-revenue men’s sports to allow them to close non-revenue women’s sports for title IX purposes?

travis.sixpack

Mar 3, 2008
what's the rationale for increasing football rosters to 105 and hopefully most ADs/University Presidents aren't supporting that move. I realize the advantage for the top 10 or so programs for what about the remaining 50 or so programs?
From what Ross said in his podcasts, conference commissioners added it because of potential lawsuits from walk-on players. It could have been worse - the SEC and Big 10 wanted *120* scholarship slots, but they compromised at 105. The only saving grace is unlimited transfers- there’s only 11 players on the field at once and you’ll have scholarship players buried on the depth chart or just not getting the PT they want who will move on.

Last edited:
Reactions: greenbean.sixpack

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
From what Ross said in his podcasts, conference commissioners added it because of potential lawsuits from walk-on players. It could have been worse - the SEC and Big 10 wanted *120* scholarship slots, but they compromised at 105. The only saving grace is unlimited transfers- there’s only 11 players on the field at once and you’ll have scholarship players buried on the depth chart or just not getting the PT they want who will move on.
MSU will absolutely need to live in that space.