From the premium board - Logos

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022
That has nothing to do with a logo. It has to do with losing and being a small population state with a tiny fan base.
Yeah there are a number of a reasons. But regardless of where we are located, W/L’s, etc. our “overall brand” is probably dead last in the SEC. So to my original post, saying we have a “strong brand” due to the banner logo is just not accurate.

If you don’t like the script, interlocking, or banner that’s fine, everyone has a preference. But the truth is, there’s room for improvement with branding Mississippi State, that’s why the athletic department made this move. Will it work? Could they have used a better logo? I guess we’ll see. Winning definitely helps

We did have some good years under Mullen with the banner, so that’s why some are uncomfortable with the move. If banner logo was our original logo since the beginning of time or if it was “actually” a good logo I wouldn’t like the move. They made this move because it’s not a strong logo. It stinks, truthfully. Before Croom in ‘04, it wasn’t used hardly at all. I think it was used a little in the late 90s/early 00s (maybe?)

I’ve said this before, I’m fine with the Script, it needs some improvements though. Overall, I’d rate the logos like this:

Script: 6.5/10
Interlocking: 9/10
Banner: 2/10

We are moving towards branding Mississippi State as “State”, and away from M-State. I get why. Some in the SEC already refers to us as State.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
I like the Script State as our "brand". I like M over S on baseball lids and Interlocking on football lids. Leave script on the 50 and the signage outside the locker room can be script. Baseball already has M over S on every damn thing baseball, no reason interlocking can't be on football lids. Basketball can do whatever and it works because they can use various looks.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I like the script on the helmets and on the field. All of the basketball jerseys this season will have the script on them. I think it’s a sharp logo. Many hated the banner M because of Croom. I’d bet that many hate the script because of the first football team that wore it and their performance.
We actually wore it some during Leach’s last year.

The thing is, it doesn’t really matter what we wear on the helmet. But the block banner MState should have stayed the primary logo on the field, stadium, court, etc., matching the official school logo. That’s strong marketing. THAT is where we missed the mark.

You can have others on uniforms as needed. You can do whatever you want with merch. I didn’t particularly like the banner on the helmet myself, oh well, change it up. But the block banner should have stayed the primary ‘base’ logo.

Reactions: RiceDawg and patdog

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
You could put the Atlanta Braves "A" logo, the Alabama one and the Arkansas one side by side in black and white and ask people to identify which is which and I bet a huge majority wouldn't get them right
Bama's "A" logo is the Braves logo with a mullet. Easy.

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
Yeah there are a number of a reasons. But regardless of where we are located, W/L’s, etc. our “overall brand” is probably dead last in the SEC. So to my original post, saying we have a “strong brand” due to the banner logo is just not accurate.

How do you measure what is a strong brand? Sells? There is a reason winning teams sell a lot of jerseys and T-shirt's and losing teams don't. You say people don't know State v OM but don't show any proof. That's just your opinion as to the reason.
if the person doesn't know the difference and they follow sports. They are dumb.

If you don’t like the script, interlocking, or banner that’s fine, everyone has a preference. But the truth is, there’s room for improvement with branding Mississippi State, that’s why the athletic department made this move. Will it work? Could they have used a better logo? I guess we’ll see. Winning definitely helps

Meh. I think they made this move to sell merchandise. Probably because Adidas is pressuring State to sell more to a tiny cheap fan base.

We did have some good years under Mullen with the banner, so that’s why some are uncomfortable with the move. If banner logo was our original logo since the beginning of time or if it was “actually” a good logo I wouldn’t like the move. They made this move because it’s not a strong logo. It stinks, truthfully. Before Croom in ‘04, it wasn’t used hardly at all. I think it was used a little in the late 90s/early 00s (maybe?)

the "banner M" came along with the 1996 basketball team. We went to the final 4. As for football The banner M first association with football was when it appeared at midfield on the football field in 1997. Then on the helmet and jersey in 2004. Then all through the most successful years of football and womens basketball. But I get it.... Hadad and you have to try to attach the banner M to Croom to sway opinion.

We are moving towards branding Mississippi State as “State”, and away from M-State. I get why. Some in the SEC already refers to us as State.
People have always referred to us as "State" as far back as anyone can remember. That isn't new. That didn't change with the banner M either.

However branding as just "State" is not strong branding because it does nothing to distinguish yourself from any other State school. I mean damn.... Michigan St used a "State " on their basketball and football uniforms is a perfect example. It is a very weak marketing strategy and would be the same as Pepsi or Coke branding themselves as "cola". With all that said, I don't believe we are "branding" as just State anyways. Selmon is just feeding y'all that line to sell merchandise.

anyways..... he will be gone this year or next.

Last edited:
Reactions: bulldoghair

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
How do you measure what is a strong brand? Sells? There is a reason winning teams sell a lot of jerseys and T-shirt's and losing teams don't. You say people don't know State v OM but don't show any proof. That's just your opinion as to the reason.
if the person doesn't know the difference and they follow sports. They are dumb.

Meh. I think they made this move to sell merchandise. Probably because Adidas is pressuring State to sell more to a tiny cheap fan base.

the "banner M" came along with the 1996 basketball team. We went to the final 4. As for football The banner M first association with football was when it appeared at midfield on the football field in 1997. Then on the helmet and jersey in 2004. Then all through the most successful years of football and womens basketball. But I get it.... Hadad and you have to try to attach the banner M to Croom to sway opinion.

People have always referred to us as "State" as far back as anyone can remember. That isn't new. That didn't change with the banner M either.

However branding as just "State" is dumb AF because it does nothing to distinguish yourself from any other State school. I mean damn.... Michigan St used a "State " on their basketball and football uniforms is a perfect example. It is a very weak marketing strategy and would be the same as Pepsi or Coke branding themselves as "cola". With all that said, I don't believe we are "branding" as just State anyways. Selmon is just feeding y'all that line to sell merchandise.

anyways..... he will be gone this year or next.
With conference alignment etc we stake claim to STATE. We're in the best conference in America and Mich State has never really branded as STATE. And Selmon won't be gone in that timeframe either.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
With conference alignment etc we stake claim to STATE. We're in the best conference in America and Mich State has never really branded as STATE. And Selmon won't be gone in that timeframe either.
What part of the STATE do you not get in M-STATE? The M is in the background. The emphasis is on STATE. We could still accomplish everything everybody wants by keeping that logo.

Even Oregon, who changes uniforms daily, has the 'O' logo that is on school letterhead, the 50 yard line, the basketball court, etc. It's how you do shlt right, which we've never done.

Our fans are morons.

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
@7Dust posted this. Ain't nothing like a summertime logo discussion. What do you think?

View attachment 607950
statler and waldorf muppets GIF

• Love
Reactions: Maroon Eagle

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
What part of the STATE do you not get in M-STATE? The M is in the background. The emphasis is on STATE. We could still accomplish everything everybody wants by keeping that logo.

Even Oregon, who changes uniforms daily, has the 'O' logo that is on school letterhead, the 50 yard line, the basketball court, etc. It's how you do shlt right, which we've never done.

Our fans are morons.
LSU uses different logos and their brand is pretty high.

bdfan09

Aug 20, 2012
Please reread my previous posts on this. Don’t enter a discussion with this level of ignorance.

For a hint - you’re talking LSU baseball. just want to make sure we’re clear here.
No ignorance here. Your rebuttal to DS's reply was "Nope". Then you proceeded to only reference football and basketball, but LSU baseball does use a different logo. DS only said LSU uses different logos. I'm not the ignorant one in this conversation.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
No ignorance here. Your rebuttal to DS's reply was "Nope". Then you proceeded to only reference football and basketball, but LSU baseball does use a different logo. DS only said LSU uses different logos. I'm not the ignorant one in this conversation.
I’ve repeatedly said uniforms don’t matter. Baseball especially. You are plumb stupid and have no context here but I’m sure @dawgstudent loves you fighting his battles.

Horizontal LSU is absolutely their primary athletic logo.

I’m 100% right here. I’m not saying banner MState has to be the uniform logo….at all. Never have.

Next question.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login