FSU preparing to move!

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Florida State, Clemson, NC State and Virginia Tech to SEC

Miami, North Carolina to B1G to close them out

ACC probably tries to get UCF, West Virginia, Cincinnati

Big 12 is now sitting pretty after shedding that dead weight. They don't need those 3. I'd be on the phone with Washington State, Oregon State and maybe even Boise State or UNLV pronto. Solidify yourself as the western/mountain conference, start forming rivalries.

Willow Grove Dawg

Nov 3, 2016
IF Florida State can get out of the GOR (which is very doubtful), they will find out that they are not nearly as attractive to the SEC and/or Big Ten as they think.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006

Miami, Clemson, North Carolina to B1G to close them out

Big 12 is now sitting pretty after shedding that dead weight. They don't need those 3. I'd be on the phone with Washington State, Oregon State and maybe even Boise State or UNLV pronto. Solidify yourself as the western/mountain conference, start forming rivalries.

Clemson is going for AAU membership so don’t be surprised if they go for the B1G when the ACC grant of rights ends.

Don’t forget that you wondered in the other thread if Clemson by design was going after New York and New Jersey residents.

If it’s something that’s been done long term, you can safely conclude that it’s a designed move.

Wazzu & Oregon State — I don’t know if the finances work for them & the Big 12 to do that.

Reactions: Dawgg

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
I doubt FSU would whisper to their best friend a move out of the ACC if they did not already have a suitor. I'm thinking Big10.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Clemson is going for AAU membership so don’t be surprised if they go for the B1G when the ACC grant of rights ends.

Don’t forget that you wondered in the other thread if Clemson by design was going after New York and New Jersey residents.

If it’s something that’s been done long term, you can safely conclude that it’s a designed move.

Wazzu & Oregon State — I don’t know if the finances work for them & the Big 12 to do that.
Could be. I could also see Florida State trying to do B1G. But ultimately there are 6 spots left in the SEC/B1G, I feel pretty confident those spots will be FSU, Clemson, Miami, UNC for sure. Then the fight will be on for the last 2 spots. Georgia Tech might be attractive for the B1G, who knows.

As far as the Big 12, I would be thinking long-term, even if the finances aren't perfect now. They will be, if they continue to be a solid Tier 2 P5 conference.

You don't think the ACC would try and get UCF? With FSU and Miami likely vacating, seems like a solid plan to keep a Florida presence, and 'UCF' is becoming a semi-known brand these days.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
If both Miami and FSU leave, I can see UCF going.

But I just don’t see Miami leaving...

Unlike Florida State, they’ve not been relevant playoff wise in many years and I think the ACC will work to keep the former Big East schools.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
I got news for them. If they get in the SEC they will still lose every head to head popularity/beauty contest they get into with Bama.

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
They definitely won't be running the table in the SEC and highly unlikely in the Big 10. But if you are jumping out of the ACC and paying big money to wash your hands of that conference it would be moronic to go Big 12. What's the difference. There are only 2 conferences that are favorable currently.

PBDog

Oct 1, 2021
clicks are the foreseeable future and eventually a standalone streaming package for the conference. i think you take them and clemson now and prep for going to 20 with their own streaming package

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Yep. Dellenger tried to fill content.
Its news. FSU had to announce that the meeting will happen and its being reported on because its news about a perpetually frustrated college athletics program that is large in impact and reach.

Wesson Bulldog

Nov 3, 2015
Florida State and Miami missed their chances to join the SEC. Once in 1992 and once again in 2012.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Miami travels to LA to play USC for regular season conference game******

PBDog

Oct 1, 2021
Florida State and Miami missed their chances to join the SEC. Once in 1992 and once again in 2012.
it's a new age - passion will continue to be the determining factor for success. big10 can add every team the sec passes on but they cant match the sec passion

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
Hold up, there are definitely more conferences they could go to.
I am sure the AAC, CUSA, and Sun Belt would all be willing to consider FSU joining.
Why would you even make such a comment ? Do you think they are gonna spend millions to get out of a contract with the ACC to join the Sunbelt ? They would only be interested in the 2 that I mentioned. I know you are just trying to be a smarta$$

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Why would you even make such a comment ? Do you think they are gonna spend millions to get out of a contract with the ACC to join the Sunbelt ? They would only be interested in the 2 that I mentioned. I know you are just trying to be a smarta$$
It was a joke, but not sarcastic so I didnt use **.
I was just saying they would be welcomed with open arms to join some lesser conferences.
My bad.

Reactions: Anon1697564126

MidsouthDawg

Aug 1, 2017

Miami, North Carolina to B1G to close them out

I don't think there's anyway, UCF, WVU, and cincy agree to leave, and the big 12 requires a unanimous vote to expel a member, which those 3 will always vote against

PBDog

Oct 1, 2021
I don't think there's anyway, UCF, WVU, and cincy agree to leave, and the big 12 requires a unanimous vote to expel a member, which those 3 will always vote against

#19 and 20 are going to be interesting. do you need 24 to have your own streaming service? if not then do you push for the marquee state schools - UNC and UVA

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
They would absolutely leave for the ACC, just for geographic reasons. If the ACC wanted them.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
SEC is a bunch of blithering idiots if they pass on Florida State. Miami? Eh, could go either way.
I don't think a "small" (still good sized, just small compared to all the other florida schools) private school in an area with NFL is attractive, even with a good history. I would agree that if you are adding teams, FSU makes sense.

That said, if I were worried about long term (which with everything in the air with college sports, I wouldn't focus on the long term if I was making decisions), USF might be the school I'd want to add, especially if I could get them to take a discount in distributions to join. It has a big endowment (something similar to FSU's according to wikipedia) despite not having the history. Hell, USF wasn't started until the 1950's. It's in a 3M+ MSA and within 5 hours driving from Miami, with lots of direct flights to miami. If they got into a major conference, they could pretty quickly become a legitimate threat with a good hire. That said, while it would be bad for UF if FSU joins the SEC, it would be much worse for them if USF did. FSU joining the SEC doesn't change FSU's status that much, whereas USF would gain enough status that it would overtime make it harder on UF recruiting in the state.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I don't think a "small" (still good sized, just small compared to all the other florida schools) private school in an area with NFL is attractive, even with a good history. I would agree that if you are adding teams, FSU makes sense.

That said, if I were worried about long term (which with everything in the air with college sports, I wouldn't focus on the long term if I was making decisions), USF might be the school I'd want to add, especially if I could get them to take a discount in distributions to join. It has a big endowment (something similar to FSU's according to wikipedia) despite not having the history. Hell, USF wasn't started until the 1950's. It's in a 3M+ MSA and within 5 hours driving from Miami, with lots of direct flights to miami. If they got into a major conference, they could pretty quickly become a legitimate threat with a good hire. That said, while it would be bad for UF if FSU joins the SEC, it would be much worse for them if USF did. FSU joining the SEC doesn't change FSU's status that much, whereas USF would gain enough status that it would overtime make it harder on UF recruiting in the state.
What? If it was all about MSA population, we should have gotten Georgia Tech, Houston or SMU a long time ago. Or UCF for that matter, before USF.

You still have to have a brand, and Florida State and Clemson are that brand. At this point the SEC takes nothing but quality. Same really for the B1G. Which is why I am kind of curious why they didn't just take Stanford and Cal and be done with it.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
They're going to leave (what by then, will be) the #3 conference for a dying ACC...will NEVER happen
Won't be dead. Even if FSU, Clemson and a few others leave, they are still viable, and semi-equal to the Big 12. Actually, this move would make both conferences better.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
I don't think they are going anywhere. Some of the best legal minds in the country have been trying to find a way for some schools out of the ACC media agreement for several years now. None of them have found it. ACC schools are screwed.

Reactions: patdog

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
It will be interesting to see where we end up in the future..... ACC or Big12.*

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
What? If it was all about MSA population, we should have gotten Georgia Tech, Houston or SMU a long time ago. Or UCF for that matter, before USF.

You still have to have a brand, and Florida State and Clemson are that brand. At this point the SEC takes nothing but quality. Same really for the B1G. Which is why I am kind of curious why they didn't just take Stanford and Cal and be done with it.
B1G is getting quality. They got ucla, usc, Washington, and Oregon. That's a hell of a lot of quality- academic and athletic.

The fit seems terrible from a geographic perspective and I won't be surprised if the super conference breaks in less than 10 years, but what I hadn't thought of so far is that B1G didn't land quality.

patdog

May 28, 2007
B1G is getting quality. They got ucla, usc, Washington, and Oregon. That's a hell of a lot of quality- academic and athletic.

The fit seems terrible from a geographic perspective and I won't be surprised if the super conference breaks in less than 10 years, but what I hadn't thought of so far is that B1G didn't land quality.
That’s not the quality of Texas & Oklahoma. The next key schools, several years from now, will be North Carolina & Virginia. FSU, Clemson, NC State, Miami & VA Tech will also be in play.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I don't think they are going anywhere. Some of the best legal minds in the country have been trying to find a way for some schools out of the ACC media agreement for several years now. None of them have found it. ACC schools are screwed.
Yeah. They’re not getting out of this any time soon.

PBDog

Oct 1, 2021

stanford and cal make zero sense for the sec. what makes the sec great is the passion and that passion is fueled by the footprint of the teams. any team from a state outside of the confederate south would be a terrible move

PBDog

Oct 1, 2021
That’s not the quality of Texas & Oklahoma. The next key schools, several years from now, will be North Carolina & Virginia. FSU, Clemson, NC State, Miami & VA Tech will also be in play.
ncs, vat, mia, gatech, wake, duke, md, louisville are clearly level B quality and bring nothing

Reactions: patdog

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Not the quality in what. Football only or athletics overall?

Sure football only I can see it being less than UT And OU. Overall though?...those 4 schools are really good and add a lot of talent/fans/competition to the conference.

And I don't know why UT and OU are being compared here when the 2 schools mentioned that I responded to were Cal and Stanford.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022

Didn’t say they didn’t have quality. Not sure where you got that. That’s my point, that the SEC and B1G have that luxury.

But, if I’m the B1G, I probably still take Stanford and Cal to round out the 20, unless FSU or a select few others were clearly available.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login