Futility update

DawgatAuburn

Apr 25, 2006
In spite of the title, this thread is not about the Cubs. Perhaps the only thing more frustrating than that franchise is watching our current basketball team and their offensive ineptitude.

Here are our offensive stats as of today. They are just that, offensive. Provided the 200th place team and the last place team in each category for context, as if you need that to know how bad we are.

FG% 40.4% (331)
200 - Sacramento St. 44.4%
352 - Alabama St. 36.6%

FT% 61.4% (349)
200 - Central Connecticut St. 70.6%
352 - Minnesota 59.3%

3 PT% 28.5% (343)
200 - BYU 33.7%
352 - Monmouth 26.1%

2 PT FG% 47.3% (302)

200 - UNC Wilmington 50.4%
352 - Alabama St. 38.9%

*Effective FG% 45.6% (337)

200 - Sacramento St. 50.7%
352 - Alabama St. 41.6%

Scoring 64.9 ppg (319)

200 - Iowa State 70.6 ppg
352 - FAMU 56.1 ppg

*eFG formula is:
(Total field goals made + (3 pt made/2)) / Total FG attempted

patdog

May 28, 2007
This may be the worst shooting team we’ve ever had. And that’s saying a lot.

Reactions: onewoof

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Yeah, those stats back up everything we have seen on the court.
Since the Drake game, the train derailed bigly. It was rough before, and a wreck since.

So many shots from deep over the last 3 games have been straight up atrocious. Like 3pt attempt going completely over the rim and hitting the far side of the backboard. I bet announcers say 'wasn't even close' about shots more for MSU than any other team.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
I guess I was the only person who thought we might struggle the first year after the coaching we had since Stans 17ed a good thing and we added the NIL $o Bama could knock out Kentucky.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
With just a few occasional exceptions, most teams tend to either have a strength inside the paint or outside. It takes a special mix of talent on a roster to be solid at both. Then with FT shooting, it’s usually pretty simple. Teams have a handful of guys that can shoot them well and about half the roster that just can’t.

With that said, it really takes a special collection of offensive ineptitude to be this collectively wretched across the board. There are 13 scholarship players on a men’s team, and to not be able to find even one or two guys to join an SEC program that can actually put the ball in the basket takes a special level of incompetence.

for the record, I’m not blaming Jans, but his current ‘23 class isn’t giving me warm and fuzzies that next season is going to be much better.

DawgatAuburn

Apr 25, 2006
I guess I was the only person who thought we might struggle the first year after the coaching we had since Stans 17ed a good thing and we added the NIL $o Bama could knock out Kentucky.
No, if you will recall back in December there were some on the board predicting an NCAA bid and a top 5 finish in the league.

Reactions: FlotownDawg

DawgatAuburn

Apr 25, 2006
for the record, I’m not blaming Jans, but his current ‘23 class isn’t giving me warm and fuzzies that next season is going to be much better.
I'm praying the portal is our friend, because I agree, the HS class is not inspiring at all.

BonzoGoesToCollege

Aug 24, 2012
I'm praying the portal is our friend, because I agree, the HS class is not inspiring at all.
Are there no other high schoolers he's currently recruiting? I've been on the Jans bandwagon, but if the 4 commits are all he has coming in, it's gonna be more of the same next year.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
We have a team full of backup players that can't handle pressure and competition.

They'll look all world in a meaningless scrimmage but when it's time to deliver we just look like a dog that's been beaten too much on the court.

Good players play better when the pressure is on. We don't have that this year. At all.

Last edited:

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
We have a team full of backup players that can't handle pressure and competition.

They'll look all world in a meaningless scrimmage but when it's time to deliver we just look like a dog that's been beaten too much on the court
Pretty fair description. If you had told me going into the season that we’d only be getting 22 pts and 14 boards combined from Tolu/Jeffries, I’d have told you then that we were in big trouble. We needed those two to step up, but they unfortunately have gone in the opposite direction. There’s no shot that DJ takes that I ever think is going in.

whatever the case, we all knew that this year was going to be a bumpy road, but unless Jans works some serious portal magic after this season, that road won’t be getting any smoother

RockyDog

Jan 2, 2023
Especially since the “star” talent from the last 2 classes is probably about to hit the portal.

Murphy was no 86 class of 21 and Hamilton was no 80 class of 22 and can’t get minutes on this garbage team.

msudawg12

Dec 9, 2008
I truly regret buying my season tickets this year. I've been giving them away each game for free. We arent even fun to watch after we got past the non-conference games

DawgatAuburn

Apr 25, 2006
Especially since the “star” talent from the last 2 classes is probably about to hit the portal.

Murphy was no 86 class of 21 and Hamilton was no 80 class of 22 and can’t get minutes on this garbage team.
I would spend the remainder of the season seeing what I have in those two. Bump them up to 15-18 minutes per game and see what happens. DJ and Stephenson could stand some more bench time.

Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
Based on what we've seen of late, I'd consider this thread Prussian with a Bulvarian Twist.

Lettuce

Oct 16, 2012
DJ is borderline 7th or 8th best player on a good college basketball team

Walkthedawg

Oct 3, 2022
No, if you will recall back in December there were some on the board predicting an NCAA bid and a top 5 finish in the league.
After the wins against Marquette, Minnesota, and Utah, we were getting national media mentions as a possible tournament team. Not just this board.

Hell it looks like the death of Leach was just as hard on the BB team. The train came off the tracks right after beginning with the loss to Drake.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
Yet he starts and is allowed to go 1 for 8 and is our unofficial team leader
I don’t know what happened, but his shot is completely broken. 3 pointers, mid-range, FTs, or even layups… it doesn’t matter. Nothing is going in for him, and it’s been that way all season

DawgatAuburn

Apr 25, 2006
After the wins against Marquette, Minnesota, and Utah, we were getting national media mentions as a possible tournament team. Not just this board.

Hell it looks like the death of Leach was just as hard on the BB team. The train came off the tracks right after beginning with the loss to Drake.
Yes, we were getting attention. It was fun. Good publicity. Sign me up for an 11-0 start every single season. But anyone with eyes could see we had major issues that were likely going to be exposed in the SEC.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Yes, we were getting attention. It was fun. Good publicity. Sign me up for an 11-0 start every single season. But anyone with eyes could see we had major issues that were likely going to be exposed in the SEC.
The two games prior to Drake were rough. Struggled against significantly lesser competition.
I was at the Drake game and that was just as rough. The team's offense wasnt built to come back and it showed in that game- they couldnt quite hang on and once slightly down, couldnt get over the hump and back into a lead that could stick.
The offense just isnt built to go on big runs. Big runs can happen, but they are relatively rare.

Losing to UGA really sucked. Thats one we coulda snagged in SEC play.

SyonaraStanz

Mar 5, 2010
How does the coach not deserve some of the blame? Whatever he's doing for offensive preparation and planning is failing at epic levels. How bad was this team last year? Yes, we lost a piece or 2 (I don't remember), but I don't see how it should lead to this ineptitude.

Maybe Jans is the Sly Croom of college basketball (from an offensive standpoint). God, I miss Stanz.....****

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login