Gable is back in college

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
Sucks for Kerk as the path to a championship appeared to have cleared out. Not so much now.

Reactions: Lion in KY

Spinpsu

Dec 1, 2022
So, is there a chance he goes somewhere besides Minny?
He can go wherever he pleases. I’d love to get him to PSU. Come join the NLWC which happens to be the best OTC in the world now. Hope Cael and staff are in contact. He’s very close with Mark Hall as well.

Karl_Havok

Oct 6, 2021
Why go back to school? WWE not working out?

There have been rumors for a while now that WWE wasn't working out and WWE wasn't happy with his progression. It's only been rumors though so take it with a grain of salt although the fact that he's coming back to college wrestling doesn't really do anything to dispel the WWE rumors.

Reactions: GoPSU97

Lions1

Nov 1, 2021
The Gabe thing is interesting if it was to happen. Guys usually take Olympic redshirts the year of the Olympics- Gabe would be doing just the opposite

cb1994

Oct 31, 2022
Am I wrong in saying that he actually doesn’t need to wrestle any match other than the B1G tournament for whichever school he ends up going to in order to qualify For the NCAAs?

Meaning School X could send him as their 285 to B1Gs, and as long as he gets an AQ spot he‘ll go to NCAAs?

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
There have been rumors for a while now that WWE wasn't working out and WWE wasn't happy with his progression. It's only been rumors though so take it with a grain of salt although the fact that he's coming back to college wrestling doesn't really do anything to dispel the WWE rumors.
What is “progression” in WWE development? Fake acting? Pretending to be hurt? Stomping your feet when you hit someone to make it sound more dramatic? Just curious? My grandfather used to watch it all the time and I never understood the fascination.

El_Jefe

Oct 11, 2021
Am I wrong in saying that he actually doesn’t need to wrestle any match other than the B1G tournament for whichever school he ends up going to in order to qualify For the NCAAs?

Meaning School X could send him as their 285 to B1Gs, and as long as he gets an AQ spot he‘ll go to NCAAs?
Correct. Any wrestler can be 0-0 thru the regular season and still qualify for nationals, provided he finishes high enough at his conference tourney.

The risk is: such a wrestler is ineligible for an at-large bid, may only qualify by conference placement.

Reactions: cb1994

Karl_Havok

Oct 6, 2021
What is “progression” in WWE development? Fake acting? Pretending to be hurt? Stomping your feet when you hit someone to make it sound more dramatic? Just curious? My grandfather used to watch it all the time and I never understood the fascination.

I couldn’t tell you. I used to watch WWF/WCW in high school but after graduating (1999) I stopped watching. Maybe it’s a combination of mic skills and technical work. Taking bumps, selling bumps and working with others is a dance. I’m just guessing here because this is just a message board rumor that’s been circulating since last season when it was rumored he may return.

Reactions: LB99

Tgar

Oct 13, 2021
Hasn’t mastered the death elbow smash from the top rope…

Reactions: KKBundy and LB99

Alphabets

Oct 12, 2021
I used to love the WWF. Then I hit puberty.

Reactions: ChandlerPearce

J.E.B

Oct 30, 2021
Correct. Any wrestler can be 0-0 thru the regular season and still qualify for nationals, provided he finishes high enough at his conference tourney.

The risk is: such a wrestler is ineligible for an at-large bid, may only qualify by conference placement.
The other challenge is seeding as the wrestler would be buried. For most, that would be a huge challenge but for Steveson he’d demolish anyone in his path even from a 14th seed.

LifeLongLion

Oct 6, 2021
You are right - you don't understand.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
There has been a lot of "I'll believe it when I see it" sentiments expressed by those that usually have inside info on college wrestling about Gable wrestling in college this season. It appears their skepticism was justified.

Karl_Havok

Oct 6, 2021
Gable isn't coming back to college guys. It just isn't happening. We don't need to worry about it.

El_Jefe

Oct 11, 2021
Minny posters elsewhere saying the Goofers gave Steveson a deadline to commit (although no word on how long). They're also in on Hendrickson and don't want to miss out on him because Steveson strung them along.

Word also that Slumlord Bob offered a bag for Iowa. No surprise there ...

I'm highly skeptical. What Willie said -- Steveson has been playing this attention game for years. It might happen, but until he actually commits, not worrying about it.

Spice67

Sep 26, 2023
They aren't going to offer him a big contract. When was the last time he played football?
Yea I just heard that on a podcast. Heck I’m not sure WV. I’d bet he would make a good DT though. His athletic ability is freaking off the chart for a guy his size. I’m sure he could pick up the techniques pretty quick. Idk will see.

WV lion

Oct 17, 2021
Yea I just heard that on a podcast. Heck I’m not sure WV. I’d bet he would make a good DT though. His athletic ability is freaking off the chart for a guy his size. I’m sure he could pick up the techniques pretty quick. Idk will see.
Don't believe everything you hear. He isn't big enough right now. At best low level contract with incentives.

Reactions: Spice67

manatree

Oct 6, 2021

I'm sure that you and many others seriously underestimate the amount of skills and techniques needed to play in the NFL. Your Neals and Haselrigs unicorns are few and far between. NFL roster cuts are littered with athletic freaks that played college football at a high level and weren't able to make it. Do you think that an 23 year old NFL player that hadn't wrestled since high school could switch and be a legit senior level wrestler? Could it happen, yes. But it is more unlikely than you think.

J.E.B

Oct 30, 2021
TE, DE, DT, OT. Heck the Eagles turned a rugby player into a pretty good OT. That took a couple of years.

WV lion

Oct 17, 2021
No one is saying it couldn't happen, it is just unlikely. And that an unproven guy isn't getting a big contract.