Get ready for the board to explode ESPN CFB Way To Early Poll

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
ESPN Poll

6. Ole Miss Rebels

Previous ranking: 7

2023 record: 11-2, 6-2 SEC

Winter update: After guiding the Rebels to the first 11-win campaign in the 118-year history of the program, coach Lane Kiffin is gearing up for what could be an even bigger season in 2024. Unexpectedly losing Judkins to Ohio State hurt, but Kiffin grabbed plenty of talent out of the transfer portal, especially on defense. Defensive tackle Walter Nolen (Texas A&M), defensive end Princely Umanmielen(Florida) and linebacker Chris Paul Jr. (Arkansas) should help right away. Adding former Washington starters Julius Buelow and Nate Kalepo should improve the offensive line. The Rebels will play their two toughest opponents, Oklahoma and Georgia, at home.

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
I think they have a good chance to go 10-2, which is probably good enough to make the 12-team CFP.

But I don't think it is guaranteed. If their two losses are Georgia and LSU, they will not have a lot of quality wins based on who we think will have good seasons. Kentucky and Oklahoma at home could be their best wins. Will that be good enough for a spot in the CFP? How much better will 7-6 Kentucky be? How good will Oklahoma be with a new QB?

Since 2014, all but one 10-2 SEC team has been in the top 11 in the final CFP rankings. However, that was when the playoff was four teams. We don't know how the standard will change with a 12-team playoff. Picking the 12th-best team in the country will be a lot more scrutinized when it is for a playoff spot. Will they try to geographically distribute bids? Does that mean good SEC teams will be left out because they don't want to give one conference too many bids? We will learn a lot in year one.

If Ole Miss makes the CFP, maybe State fans will realize the 12-team CFP is attainable and supporting NIL to get there is worth it.

Reactions: 85Bears and patdog

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
The Rebels will play their two toughest opponents, Oklahoma and Georgia, at home.
Interesting that they rank LSU higher than Oklahoma in their own poll and then say Oklahoma is a tougher opponent.

Looking at LSU's schedule, they will be very focused on that Ole Miss game. We know they will be talented. They lost a close game in 2023. I think LSU gets them in Baton Rouge.

theoriginalSALTYdog

Jul 10, 2021
ESPN Poll

6. Ole Miss Rebels

Winter update: After guiding the Rebels to the first 11-win campaign in the 118-year history of the program, coach Lane Kiffin is gearing up for what could be an even bigger season in 2024. Unexpectedly losing Judkins to Ohio State hurt, but Kiffin grabbed plenty of talent out of the transfer portal, especially on defense. Defensive tackle Walter Nolen (Texas A&M), defensive end Princely Umanmielen(Florida) and linebacker Chris Paul Jr. (Arkansas) should help right away. Adding former Washington starters Julius Buelow and Nate Kalepo should improve the offensive line. The Rebels will play their two toughest opponents, Oklahoma and Georgia, at home.

Don't know why this would shock anyone considering what they have returning and their portal haul. They're going to lose two games at the most and will be in playoffs. They have the talent.

• Sad
Reactions: Noname.sixpack

columbiadawg2

Feb 2, 2010
I mean they are going to be pretty good. I'd be more surprised if they weren't preseason top 10

85Bears

Jan 12, 2020
LSU loses their quarterback and has a bad defense. I don’t know that they will be that good. Probably about like this year.

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
Ole Miss will win the West this year, lose in Atlanta, and win their first playoff game --- and maybe more.

It's gonna suck if you waste your time trying compare us to Ole Miss this year or the next few years.

Cold Hard Fact.

• Haha
Reactions: Dawgg

kired

Aug 22, 2008
They've gone all in. Anything less than the playoffs will be a failure.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
I still think scheduling is going to be their downfall. Not all schedules are equal and with only 6 at large bid the committee is going to look at that closely before leaving a school like Ohio State out to put Ole Miss in. They are going to be more selective.

85Bears

Jan 12, 2020
I still think scheduling is going to be their downfall. Not all schedules are equal and with only 6 at large bid the committee is going to look at that closely before leaving a school like Ohio State out to put Ole Miss in. They are going to be more selective.
Ohio State should be in no problem, look for Michigan to drop off quite a bit.

patdog

May 28, 2007
No 10-win SEC team is going to get left out. That's just not gonna happen.

Reactions: GloryDawg

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
I tend to think that too but on same token a 10 win Big 10 or ACC will not be left out. Something will have to give unfortunately there are only six spots. It will come down to scheduling. Not all schedules are equal. That is where Ole Miss will get hurt.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I tend to think that too but on same token a 10 win Big 10 or ACC will not be left out. Something will have to give unfortunately there are only six spots. It will come down to scheduling. Not all schedules are equal.
10-win ACC team could get left out. Louisville wouldn't have made it last year.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
There are several things that might make me "explode" but this ain't one of them. They are definitely a top 10 team going into the season.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
10-win ACC team could get left out. Louisville wouldn't have made it last year.
Something else to think about. With 16 teams in the Big 10 and SEC, customary rules might change, and it is possible there are multiple 10-2 teams in both conferences. Ole Miss has a good shot at getting in but if it comes down to a 10-2 Texas and Bama, Ole Miss will be left out. Ole Miss doesn't play either of those schools and it is possible they are 10-2 or better.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
ESPN Poll

6. Ole Miss Rebels

Walter Nolen worries me. I don't know a thing about him, but he sounds like the name of an award. The Walter Nolen Award for best... whatever...

Reactions: 3407Dewey

patdog

May 28, 2007
Something else to think about. With 16 teams in the Big 10 and SEC, customary rules might change, and it is possible there are multiple 10-2 teams in both conferences. Ole Miss has a good shot at getting in but if it comes down to a 10-2 Texas and Bama, Ole Miss will be left out. Ole Miss doesn't play either of those schools and it is possible they are 10-2 or better.
All 3 would get in if they all win 10 games.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
I meant it would blow the board up with posts. Not that Ole Miss is not good. The Ole Miss Plantation Owners, Doctors, and Lawyers have gone completely all in with all their money.
They finally get to spend all the money they have wanted to on recruits and not get in trouble. They finally figured out the need to buy a few defensive players too.

As long as Kiffen is at the helm they will win. But Kiffen is just crazy enough to leave. He's a fool because everything is easy if he stays in Oxford the scores over 40 points points a game.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
I think it's going to happen just based on the limited availability of at-large slots. Last year, the following SEC (and to be SEC) teams ended the regular season with 10 or more wins:
Georgia
Missouri
Alabama (champ)
Ole Miss
Texas
Oklahoma

The following Big Ten (and to be Big Ten) teams ended the regular season with 10 or more wins:
Michigan (champ)
Ohio State
Penn State
Iowa
Washington
Oregon

Under the current format there are six at large teams (though we know it's subject to change). Let's say the ACC and Big 12 only get in their champs. Let's even go as far as to say the Pac-12 loses its AQ bid and are put with the G5, so at the most that's 7 at large spots, so 3 teams out of that list of 10 non-champs listed above are going to get left out and I have a hard time seeing the committee put in 5 SEC at-larges and 2 Big Ten at-larges. From a branding POV, I have a hard time seeing Ole Miss and Missouri getting in over Washington, Oregon, Ohio State, Penn State, and maybe Iowa.

And no... I haven't done the math to see what the impact of adding all of these teams will have on the number of possible 10 win teams from each conference, but just sidewalk math tells me that neither conference added a conference game to the schedule, so it stands to reason that you could have the same number as before (including teams that got 10 wins while playing in other conferences).

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
I meant it would blow the board up with posts. Not that Ole Miss is not good. The Ole Miss Plantation Owners, Doctors, and Lawyers have gone completely all in with all their money.
They finally get to spend all the money they have wanted to on recruits and not get in trouble. They finally figured out the need to buy a few defensive players too.

As long as Kiffen is at the helm they will win. But Kiffen is just crazy enough to leave. He's a fool because everything is easy if he stays in Oxford the scores over 40 points points a game.
I don't know about it being easy. They are expecting championships, national championships. They are spending money, but not as much as the real contenders are.

msudawg1200

Sep 19, 2012
Ole Miss will win the West this year, lose in Atlanta, and win their first playoff game --- and maybe more.

It's gonna suck if you waste your time trying compare us to Ole Miss this year or the next few years.

Cold Hard Fact.
I'll bet you an entire year's salary that Ole Miss doesn't win the West this year. While we are at it let's throw in vehicles, houses, property, retirement, etc.

bully12

Sep 2, 2012
I'll bet you an entire year's salary that Ole Miss doesn't win the West this year. While we are at it let's throw in vehicles, houses, property, retirement, etc.
Well, not to state the obvious, but since there is no SEC west this year, I don't see how UMissy or anyone else can win it.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Ole Miss has not changed much since I first started watching football. Neither of us spends close to the same amount as the big boys so I have tempered my expectations for MSU. I care little for Mississippi but I know that you guys will.

They might expect more success since they have spent more money and have a coach with a reputation for offense but I remember all the times before when they were going to leave us. They are still not blue bloods anywhere except in their own minds.

Reactions: jethreauxdawg

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
Ole Miss has not changed much since I first started watching football. Neither of us spends close to the same amount as the big boys so I have tempered my expectations for MSU. I care little for Mississippi but I know that you guys will.

They might expect more success since they have spent more money and have a coach with a reputation for offense but I remember all the times before when they were going to leave us. They are still not blue bloods anywhere except in their own minds.
I remember when they were ready for their now beloved coach to leave.

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
The Ole Miss Plantation Owners, Doctors, and Lawyers have gone completely all in with all their money.

They went all in on recruiting with Brewer. They become pretty good. The NCAA put a stop to it and buried Brewer.

Y'all will remember better Freeze. Same thing. They spent big time and the ncaa put a stop to it.

Y'all wanted the ncaa gone. You got it. OM is spending as much as they want. Nobody is going to stop them. Kiffin isn't leaving.

The egg bowl is about to resemble Bedlam for the next 10 years or so.

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
Puh-lease. I don't believe in them that much, but they are sitting as pretty as anyone else in the West and, in my view, it is theirs to lose. They have the coach, the talent, and the money. And they are going to get a few lucky breaks.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Puh-lease. I don't believe in them that much, but they are sitting as pretty as anyone else in the West
Strictly speaking, that's true, but Mississippi State has as much chance of winning the West as Ole Miss does.

I'll take that bet though. I'm serious. I will bet my car vs your car that Ole Miss does not win the SEC West in football this upcoming season.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login