Give to the BI...

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
This reminds me. I need to make some changes on this front. And it has nothing to do with the outcome or this game or season.

Reactions: patdog

patdog

May 28, 2007
I give to the Bulldog Initiative. But I unchecked baseball a year ago and I'm not checking it again as long as Lemonis is here (or hosts and wins a regional). It we don't even care enough to try, my money can go to football, basketball and soccer.

It’s purely symbolic I know. Charities don’t actually change their budgets based on donor designations unless it’s a really big donation. But it makes me feel a little better.

Last edited:
Reactions: sandwolf.sixpack

Bulldawg77

Dec 1, 2019
Some here will need to come to the realization that we actually have an AD and not a former baseball coach. Baseball is going to be the 3rd or fourth sport of investment moving forward. It’s football and basketball. If you give anything to NIl in baseball it’s a waist. We are not going to invest in that non relevant non revenue sport. So please stop with this “give to BI for baseball “ nonsense. If you choose to increase or invest in BI then mark football or basketball but let’s not invest in a non revenue sport, that is so po ol state mentality.

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
Some here will need to come to the realization that we actually have an AD and not a former baseball coach. Baseball is going to be the 3rd or fourth sport of investment moving forward. It’s football and basketball. If you give anything to NIl in baseball it’s a waist. We are not going to invest in that non relevant non revenue sport. So please stop with this “give to BI for baseball “ nonsense. If you choose to increase or invest in BI then mark football or basketball but let’s not invest in a non revenue sport, that is so po ol state mentality.
What gives you the idea this is going to happen? Has Selmon said this somewhere?

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
You're probably right. My pushback is that baseball is realistically our only avenue for producing a national champion. We could dump every penny we got into football and still be a middlin' program. I'm a football-first fan as well, but it simply seems like we are banging our heads against the wall in the NIL era. Just like with coaches, we will have to overpay to get players. No one is coming here for a discount like they would Bama. Matter of fact, it's going to cost a premium. With baseball, I don't think the Mithipi Tate tax is existent (or significant). With baseball, we are typically a piece or 2 short. If we had gotten a good closer from the portal and the Montgomery kid from Stanford, we would be cooking.

I am likely in the minority, but dumping every penny we have into football just to upgrade from the Liberty Bowl to the Gator Bowl, doesn't excite me.

Bulldawg77

Dec 1, 2019
You're probably right. My pushback is that baseball is realistically our only avenue for producing a national champion. We could dump every penny we got into football and still be a middlin' program. I'm a football-first fan as well, but it simply seems like we are banging our heads against the wall in the NIL era. Just like with coaches, we will have to overpay to get players. No one is coming here for a discount like they would Bama. Matter of fact, it's going to cost a premium. With baseball, I don't think the Mithipi Tate tax is existent (or significant). With baseball, we are typically a piece or 2 short. If we had gotten a good closer from the portal and the Montgomery kid from Stanford, we would be cooking.

I am likely in the minority, but dumping every penny we have into football just to upgrade from the Liberty Bowl to the Gator Bowl, doesn't excite me.
Once again this is wrong and it shows how little our fan base “gets it”. We did very well this off-season in recruiting on the offensive side of the ball and they didn’t come for free.
This idea that baseball is all we can compete is exactly the LT and Cohen era breeded into some fans ideology and that’s just not true at all. The entire landscape in football has changed. We can and should expect to win in football. Hell we went to 13, 13 bowls in a row we were ranked number 1 and have been ranked multiple times over the last 14 years. We won 9 games in 22, last year was a disaster but at least we had an AD with stones and showed meathead out the door.
Now you must forget there is a 12 team playoff now and will move to 16 in the near future. We can compete for those spots in a year or two as we build back up. So stop thinking we can’t compete in football. Cause we have been. We are not poor, we have donors, we need more sure, but what we don’t need is people earmarking NIL for a non revenue sport. It’s time we go all in on football and basketball let’s stop acting like it’s 1989 and baseball is the only thing we can compete in.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Once again this is wrong and it shows how little our fan base “gets it”. We did very well this off-season in recruiting on the offensive side of the ball and they didn’t come for free.
This idea that baseball is all we can compete is exactly the LT and Cohen era breeded into some fans ideology and that’s just not true at all. The entire landscape in football has changed. We can and should expect to win in football. Hell we went to 13, 13 bowls in a row we were ranked number 1 and have been ranked multiple times over the last 14 years. We won 9 games in 22, last year was a disaster but at least we had an AD with stones and showed meathead out the door.
Now you must forget there is a 12 team playoff now and will move to 16 in the near future. We can compete for those spots in a year or two as we build back up. So stop thinking we can’t compete in football. Cause we have been. We are not poor, we have donors, we need more sure, but what we don’t need is people earmarking NIL for a non revenue sport. It’s time we go all in on football and basketball let’s stop acting like it’s 1989 and baseball is the only thing we can compete in.
You fail to acknowledge the changes that went down in the summer of 2021. That changed the game, and made it much more difficult for us.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
There is very little data supporting the idea that we can succeed in the NIL era.

Look at how much money comes from donors and tickets (and note how much of our revenue is from our SEC handout). We are literally the "poorest" school in the SEC outside of Vandy. What makes you think all of a sudden we are going to jump in the top half? Now more than ever, money is the driving factor in success. In the past, we were the "little engine that could". That cute little tale is over. You need cash. And compared to our peers, we are poor.

I'd love to hear how you think we are going to compete with the top half of the SEC moving forward. I don't care what happened 10 years ago. I want to know your plan that will get us to the NCAA playoffs.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Baseball is going to be the 3rd or fourth sport of investment moving forward. It’s football and basketball. If you give anything to NIl in baseball it’s a waist.
Its an SPS sized waist, at that.
...so its a giant waste.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
Baseball won't be the priority it was for Cohen, who crapped on the other sports for the sake of baseball. We aren't going to suddenly stop funding baseball, it's just not going to be priority one like it used to be. And that's how it should be. Football is the life blood of athletics and it has to be treated that way. Basketball is next in line, then baseball. Basketball got royally screwed by Cohen.

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022
Baseball won't be the priority it was for Cohen, who crapped on the other sports for the sake of baseball. We aren't going to suddenly stop funding baseball, it's just not going to be priority one like it used to be. And that's how it should be. Football is the life blood of athletics and it has to be treated that way. Basketball is next in line, then baseball. Basketball got royally screwed by Cohen.
^^^^^^^^^^^

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
What will our ROI be on investing in football? Not disagreeing that it the most important money maker on campus, but will spending $3mil more per year in NIL get us more return than we already bring in?

travis.sixpack

Mar 3, 2008
There is very little data supporting the idea that we can succeed in the NIL era.

Look at how much money comes from donors and tickets (and note how much of our revenue is from our SEC handout). We are literally the "poorest" school in the SEC outside of Vandy. What makes you think all of a sudden we are going to jump in the top half? Now more than ever, money is the driving factor in success. In the past, we were the "little engine that could". That cute little tale is over. You need cash. And compared to our peers, we are poor.

I'd love to hear how you think we are going to compete with the top half of the SEC moving forward. I don't care what happened 10 years ago. I want to know your plan that will get us to the NCAA playoffs.
Buddy, I've got some bad news for you. If we are not serious about funding football - and going all-in on baseball is an example of that - then the SEC will have no problem kicking State out given the chance. IF you think state is "poor" now, just wait til those SEC checks stop coming. Without the SEC, we're essentially Memphis*. Maybe being an upper tier Sunbelt/AAC school would be more fun than a lower tier SEC school from a W/Ls perspective, but I doubt it.

*without Fred Smith

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008

Its interesting how a viewpoint can hold so many factually correct points, and yet the view is still pretty absurd.
You seriously think we can and should expect to win in football, at the level being discussed here, which is national contention level?

- Going to 13 consecutive bowl games does not support your view. My gosh, multiple bowl games were played after .500 seasons, and 1 bowl game was played with a regular season losing record. None of that helps support your claim.

- Yes, MSU has some incoming talent on the offensive side of the ball. Last season we were 107th out of 133 in PPG, 94th is yards per play, and 119th in 1st downs per game. Point being- there was almost nowhere to go but up after last season. Its not like we were dominant on offense and brought in studs to improve even more.

- What the absolute 17 are you talking about when you claim we have been ranked #1 multiple times over the last 14 years?!?! There was a 4 week span, a decade ago, where we were #1. Is that what you are referring to when you say 'multiple times'? If so, get the 17 out of here. If that isnt what you are referring to...then what are you referring to? We have been ranked in the top 25 at some point in 9 of the last 14 seasons. We ended 4 of those seasons ranked in the top 25. The closes we have been to #1, outside of the 2014 season, is #13 back in 2012. The next closest is #14 back in 2018.

- I will enjoy the playoff expansion because it will be cool to see more games in December and January that are meaningful. Maybe we can compete for that 12th spot in a couple years...but even then, that doesnt mean we would have a shot at winning a national title in football. In 2023, Oklahoma finished in that 12th spot. In 2022, Washington finished in that 12th spot. Neither of those teams would have come close to winning the playoffs those years.
We finished 22nd in the CFP rankings in '22 and there was a smaller gap in talent and potential between MSU and Washington than there was between Washington and UGA/tOSU/UM.

- You claim that we have been competing in football. We finished 1 out of the last 5 seasons ranked in the top 25. 1 out of the last 5. That isnt a 'we have been' level of competing.

I am not claiming more NIL should go to baseball, to be clear. I am pointing out that your comments in this quoted post are in part disingenuous, and make you out to be delusional.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
Buddy, I've got some bad news for you. If we are not serious about funding football - and going all-in on baseball is an example of that - then the SEC will have no problem kicking State out given the chance. IF you think state is "poor" now, just wait til those SEC checks stop coming. Without the SEC, we're essentially Memphis*. Maybe being an upper tier Sunbelt/AAC school would be more fun than a lower tier SEC school from a W/Ls perspective, but I doubt it.

*without Fred Smith
At no point did I say stop funding football. I'm just saying we would move all (both) our chips into the football pot and it wouldn't bump the needle. I said in my first post that I'm a "football first" guy.

Reactions: PooPopsBaldHead

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
What will our ROI be on investing in football? Not disagreeing that it the most important money maker on campus, but will spending $3mil more per year in NIL get us more return than we already bring in?
The goal is the playoff, which is doable. I hate to say it, but OM is doing it the way we should be doing it. We've got to build the team up and when the opportunity to shoot our shot arises, we go all in on it. We aren't going to be a playoff team every year and neither are they, but there's no reason we cant make a run at it. We've invested the least amount in football for years and we can't continue down that path. Nobody knows where football is headed overall but we have to position ourselves to be relevant.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008

*without Fred Smith
Talk more about the comment in red, please.
What exactly is 'not serious' funding, in your eyes? Like, what is the funding threshold that would keep MSU in the SEC vs MSU being kicked out of the SEC?

- in '23 we were better than a couple teams in the SEC, and it was an atrocious season for MSU.
- in '22 we were better than 4 West teams and at least 3 East teams.
- in '21 we were better than 2-3 West teams and at least 3 East teams.
- in '20 we were better than probably 4 teams in the SEC.
- in '19 we were better than probably 4 teams in the SEC.
- in '18 we were better than probably 5 teams in the SEC.

So up to now, MSU has been one of the poors, there is no talk of giving MSU the boot, and results have been better than many of the wealthier schools from year to year.
Why would MSU be thrown out of the SEC moving forward if MSU says 'nah, we dont plan to throw even more money at football than we are already spending'? Clearly MSU can finish in the middle of the pack, most years, despite limited spending.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
Baseball has great NIL support. We are a top 20 baseball budget right now and our NIL is in the top 10. Football is at the damn bottom of the conference and around like 40 or 50. That's not going to work.

Reactions: patdog

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
Its interesting how a viewpoint can hold so many factually correct points, and yet the view is still pretty absurd.
You seriously think we can and should expect to win in football, at the level being discussed here, which is national contention level?

- Going to 13 consecutive bowl games does not support your view. My gosh, multiple bowl games were played after .500 seasons, and 1 bowl game was played with a regular season losing record. None of that helps support your claim.

- Yes, MSU has some incoming talent on the offensive side of the ball. Last season we were 107th out of 133 in PPG, 94th is yards per play, and 119th in 1st downs per game. Point being- there was almost nowhere to go but up after last season. Its not like we were dominant on offense and brought in studs to improve even more.

- What the absolute 17 are you talking about when you claim we have been ranked #1 multiple times over the last 14 years?!?! There was a 4 week span, a decade ago, where we were #1. Is that what you are referring to when you say 'multiple times'? If so, get the 17 out of here. If that isnt what you are referring to...then what are you referring to? We have been ranked in the top 25 at some point in 9 of the last 14 seasons. We ended 4 of those seasons ranked in the top 25. The closes we have been to #1, outside of the 2014 season, is #13 back in 2012. The next closest is #14 back in 2018.

- I will enjoy the playoff expansion because it will be cool to see more games in December and January that are meaningful. Maybe we can compete for that 12th spot in a couple years...but even then, that doesnt mean we would have a shot at winning a national title in football. In 2023, Oklahoma finished in that 12th spot. In 2022, Washington finished in that 12th spot. Neither of those teams would have come close to winning the playoffs those years.
We finished 22nd in the CFP rankings in '22 and there was a smaller gap in talent and potential between MSU and Washington than there was between Washington and UGA/tOSU/UM.

- You claim that we have been competing in football. We finished 1 out of the last 5 seasons ranked in the top 25. 1 out of the last 5. That isnt a 'we have been' level of competing.

I am not claiming more NIL should go to baseball, to be clear. I am pointing out that your comments in this quoted post are in part disingenuous, and make you out to be delusional.
Dude. We were good enough to beat Bama with Croom as our coach. Just think if we really tried. Our mindset is wrong. We just need to try harder....

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Nothing. The money will still keep flowing from the SEC.

We have to find other ways to compete in football rather than just throwing all our donor money at it. Especially in 2025.

Reactions: PooPopsBaldHead

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
At no point did I say stop funding football. I'm just saying we would move all (both) our chips into the football pot and it wouldn't bump the needle. I said in my first post that I'm a "football first" guy.
Yup. Unless a salary cap is put in, we are 17'd. We are bringing a water gun to a tank battle. It's not being a Debbie Downer to admit this, we are just a low numbers and low income fan base compared to the rest of our conference and most of the Power 3 or whatever it is now.

We can fund football all we want, it won't make a damn bit of difference until the current system is ironed out some more. I mean it might make the difference in 4 vs 6 wins, but that's pretty lame.

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
I give to the Bulldog Initiative. But I unchecked baseball a year ago and I'm not checking it again as long as Lemonis is here (or hosts and wins a regional). It we don't even care enough to try, my money can go to football, basketball and soccer.

It’s purely symbolic I know. Charities don’t actually change their budgets based on donor designations unless it’s a really big donation. But it makes me feel a little better.
Since Lemonis became head coach...

Football:
  • 38% SEC winning percentage (I included 4-4 2018 team.)
  • Best SEC West finish: T-3rd
  • 1 top-20 finish
Basketball:
  • 49% SEC winning percentage
  • Best SEC finish: T-4th
  • NCAA tournament record: 0-3
Baseball:
  • 50% SEC winning percentage
  • Best SEC West finish: T-1st
  • NCAA tournament record: 18-7
  • 2x CWS appearance
  • National Championship
Can someone share women's soccer results since 2018-19?

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
Very little has changed with this NIL system. The same teams are getting the same players they were before. The only difference is the transfer portal. We made terrible hires after Mullen left and we're paying for it now. There's always been unofficial NIL in college athletics.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login