Glad we got our beatdown in on A&M while we could.....

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
.....because they are going to get better. I know it's fun to make fun of them, but Jimbo has them headed in the right direction. I was always one of the ones 10 years ago that didn't buy the 'sleeping giant' mantra, mainly because they'd never truly done it. Their history is on par with like Arkansas or some crap like that, maybe not even that good.

But they went out and found the guy who could make it happen, the guy that knew they had to recruit outside of Texas and unify the boosters. They have a solid young team and they will be hell the next few years. The only thing that might get them is the primadonna factor (which is going to get a lot of people who are all-in on NIL), and I hope it does.

NW_Tennessee_Dawg

Sep 29, 2022
.....because they are going to get better. I know it's fun to make fun of them, but Jimbo has them headed in the right direction. I was always one of the ones 10 years ago that didn't buy the 'sleeping giant' mantra, mainly because they'd never truly done it. Their history is on par with like Arkansas or some crap like that, maybe not even that good.

But they went out and found the guy who could make it happen, the guy that knew they had to recruit outside of Texas and unify the boosters. They have a solid young team and they will be hell the next few years. The only thing that might get them is the primadonna factor (which is going to get a lot of people who are all-in on NIL), and I hope it does.
Since 2019 these are their recruiting class rankings according to 247 Sports:
2019: 5
2020: 6
2021: 9
2022: 1

Those guys from 2019 are seniors. They should theoretically be a top 10 team right now. Something is wrong in their program, and I believe it all comes back to Jimbo and his refusal to adapt to modern offenses.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012

:unsure:

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003

Those guys from 2019 are seniors. They should theoretically be a top 10 team right now. Something is wrong in their program, and I believe it all comes back to Jimbo and his refusal to adapt to modern offenses.
I think it's their culture as a whole. I do think they are more like Arkansas than Alabama.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Can't deny what some of you have said. But seems to have a Dabo thing going on, where when it clicks, it clicks. Some of these young guys are gonna be downright men in the trenches in a year or two.

I agree with you too DS about the culture. It's a big question as to whether or not that can be overcome.

peewee.sixpack

Nov 4, 2014
He RUINED FSU. Won a natty off Bobby Bowden's recruits and killed a program that had been a historical powerhouse. Jimbo is a media darling and that is the bottom line. With Tx and Ok coming into the SEC the road towards an A&M powerhouse has past. I hope they keep Jimbo for years and years.

Thumbs Down

Sep 29, 2022

New York Yankees Reaction GIF by MLB

8dog

Feb 23, 2008

Quarterback. You can mask a lot with just a good QB and he has shown he fails miserably at recruiting/developing that position the last decade

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
He RUINED FSU. Won a natty off Bobby Bowden's recruits and killed a program that had been a historical powerhouse. Jimbo is a media darling and that is the bottom line. With Tx and Ok coming into the SEC the road towards an A&M powerhouse has past. I hope they keep Jimbo for years and years.
How is that possible, when the only physical way a Bowden player played for that title was a redshirt senior? Also, Jimbo was on that staff for 3 years before he took over as head coach.

He's a good coach, not a great one. Not many great ones out there (Saban is an example). I will say that he had a lot of distractions with his divorce at FSU, so it was a good time for him to leave.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
"they are going to get better" "Jimbo has them headed in the right direction" "they went out and found the guy who could make it happen"

I'm betting 9 out of 10 A&M fans disagree with you on all those statements. I know the 6 or 8 that tailgated with us Saturday 100% disagree with you.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022

Oh….he’s unified the boosters alright. They’ve got a pretty good consensus on their future after the past month.

Reactions: NTDawg

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014

Same thing with a lot of programs like that. Think money can buy it and prestige can get it. Still have to work for it even with that talent. Have to want it and have team working together or won't happen.

Aug 14, 2017

Welcome to the board Jimbo. Thanks for helping us forget about LSU for a little while.

Reactions: Darryl Steight

Bourbon Dog

Sep 28, 2022
Could you imagine if Jimbo had Mullen as OC and QB developer? The ego battle would be epic but all they really need is a Mullen style QB.

sandwolf.sixpack

Feb 19, 2013
I think it's their culture as a whole.
This. Their homoerotic traditions will keep them from signing the kind of alphas you need to dominate a sport like football. And the ones they do manage to sign will spend their career trying to avoid eye contact with the milkmen and trying to ignore the yell practice videos posted on social media. They just don't have an environment that is conducive to toxic masculinity, which is exactly what you need to consistently dominate in football.

Reactions: PK Dawg

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012

Jimbo is definitely underachieving, but as good as his talent has been, I do think it's taking it up a notch with NIL. I think he's going to continue to hold them back on offense but they are going to have enough talent on the field on defense that it may not matter against any team other than Bama, UGA, and then your Florida, LSU, Auburn types school when they are having an up year.

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
Talent and coaching hasn't been TAMU's problem for some time now. It's a soft culture and program. Can Jimbo fix that? He tends to whine so I doubt it.

POTUS

Sep 29, 2022
Can't deny what some of you have said. But seems to have a Dabo thing going on, where when it clicks, it clicks. Some of these young guys are gonna be downright men in the trenches in a year or two.

I agree with you too DS about the culture. It's a big question as to whether or not that can be overcome.
Yeah but will they still be there in a year or two? That's the question. With the transfer portal the way it is, half that class could be in different uniforms if they don't like how it's going there.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Talent and coaching hasn't been TAMU's problem for some time now. It's a soft culture and program. Can Jimbo fix that? He tends to whine so I doubt it.
There's a difference between talent and Texas talent. Both big Texas schools outrecruit almost everyone and yet they are soft as baby ****, year in and year out. There's something to that.

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011
Talent is the issue. It’s the same talent issue Texas has. They sign fully developed Texas HS recruits who don’t get better. I think a lot of tx hs football players peak in hs due to the resources, coaching and training they receive, where our ms kids are barely scratching the surface. And they’re soft as charmin.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
Talent is the issue. It’s the same talent issue Texas has. They sign fully developed Texas HS recruits who don’t get better. I think a lot of tx hs football players peak in hs due to the resources, coaching and training they receive, where our ms kids are barely scratching the surface. And they’re soft as charmin.
I think this nails it.

Texas top HS recruits are clearly consistently overrated as a whole and Mississippi kids are underrated.

I don't have specific stats to try to prove it, but it seems obvious based on the performance of the two major Texas schools who get the lions share of highly recruited Texas players.

woozman

Nov 13, 2004

If there would have been message boards in 1980 - someone would have made this exact same post. Because I’ve been hearing how they’re a sleeping giant for decades and they are pretty much always a 7-5 / 8-4 team. It’s uncanny…

Reactions: peewee.sixpack

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
If there would have been message boards in 1980 - someone would have made this exact same post. Because I’ve been hearing how they’re a sleeping giant for decades and they are pretty much always a 7-5 / 8-4 team. It’s uncanny…
Slocum had them rolling in the late 90's.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007

What are they waiting for to get better? I'll give you 3 guesses but the first two don't count

woozman

Nov 13, 2004
Slocum had them rolling in the late 90's.
Good point - I was going off of memory and just looked and they had five 10-win or better seasons in the ‘90s. Since ‘99 they have been average except in 2012 (11-wins). My underlying point is still valid, though since ‘99 - they are just an average football team. Crazy too with the amount of money they spend trying to get to the next level.

QuadrupleOption

Aug 21, 2012
I think this nails it.

Texas top HS recruits are clearly consistently overrated as a whole and Mississippi kids are underrated.

I don't have specific stats to try to prove it, but it seems obvious based on the performance of the two major Texas schools who get the lions share of highly recruited Texas players.
^^^^^ Exactly. I've been saying it for years. Texas and TAMU are consistently overrated because their recruits are consistently overrated.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022

GIF by Arika Sato

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
If they can find another Johnny Football they might get better.

kired

Aug 22, 2008
If they can find another Johnny Football they might get better.
Even with him they only had one great season. Second year they were 4-4 in SEC. They've pumped a lot of money into that program to be a consistent 4-4 SEC team.

Reactions: GloryDawg

SchrodingersDawg

Sep 15, 2020
I've lived in central Texas since 1995. When aTm joined the SEC I told my aggie friends 2 things:

1. Get comfortable being a mid-pack SECW football program
2. You'll learn to hate Ole Miss as much as we do

So far I've been spot on with both.

Old Fart Dawg

Sep 2, 2012
Even with him they only had one great season. Second year they were 4-4 in SEC. They've pumped a lot of money into that program to be a consistent 4-4 SEC team.
Didn’t they have Kyler Murray, and let him slip away?

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
I’m fully convinced Goat has a milkman outfit and white adidas with maroon stripes in his closet.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
I think it's a culture problem with schools in Texas. They get paid to play and it's the same pay win or lose. They care but not that much about games in general. There are exceptions in some big games. I just see lackadaisical body language for both Texas and Texas A&M. Sometimes talent just does not try hard.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Has fsu really been a historical powerhouse?

i mean they had a run with Bobby but I wouldn’t say they are a top 10 program historically. Maybe not even top 15.

i hold the right to change my opinion with provided statistics to compare to other programs.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012

i mean they had a run with Bobby but I wouldn’t say they are a top 10 program historically. Maybe not even top 15.

i hold the right to change my opinion with provided statistics to compare to other programs.
I guess it depends on when 'history' starts for you. I'm not saying that facetiously. It's just different for some people. Florida State isn't Notre Dame or Alabama or Michigan in terms of historical prominence, but they were decent in the 1960's, especially considering they were only 15 years into integration. By that, I mean, 15 years before that, men weren't allowed to enroll there.

Bowden started at Florida State in 1976, so we're coming up on 50 years since he took over. If you look, even before FSU joined the ACC in 1992, they were in the Orange, Sugar, and Fiesta bowls. Once they joined the ACC (which at this point is 30 years ago), they went on a pretty unprecedented run that only seems a little faded now because of the unprecedented run Alabama is on. Even when he left in 2009, they were still a bowl team.

So... it really depends on your perspective. If it's the last 50 years, I would say they had a top 10 run in that time.

kired

Aug 22, 2008

I believe it was a women's college for half the 20th century so they don’t have 100+ year history of football like most southern teams. But they’ve got a fairly high winning %

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login