Going to Des Moines Iowa

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
Hessen Haus downtown is the best German food I’ve ever had…

In February. Are there any hidden gem restaurants in that hellish frozen wasteland?

Black Forest schnitzel was tremendous, and they have a great German beer selection.

pmgostate

Mar 3, 2008
Check out El Bait Shop, great bar with great food. I work in Des Moines occasionally and always make it a point to eat at El Bait Shop.

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
No doubt about the beer…. It’s some of the best!

You like German food? I've only eaten it in Germany, but do not like it, but love the beer.

I like most Schnitzel, spaetzle, some of the wursts and a lot of their mustards and cheeses…. But this is about the best food I’ve ever had: https://www.toasttab.com/hessen-hau...4a8d22e8/23e6a615-4162-4162-bec4-97cf9018bf43

I don’t think I’d eat it every day, but it’s hard to come by where I live so I always like to give it a shot. The beer, though…. I’m a sucker for it.

BigWorm.sixpack

Mar 1, 2019
In February. Are there any hidden gem restaurants in that hellish frozen wasteland?

801 Chophouse. Trust me this place is legit. White tablecloth, prime steaks brought to your table on a sizzling plate. Everything from the bread to the desserts is top notch. Service and atmosphere are on pointe

Oct 3, 2008
If you’ve never been to a “cook your own steak” restaurant, Rube’s Steakhouse in Waukee (west side of Des Moines) is excellent. You pick our your own raw steak (fantastic cuts of corn-fed beef) and they have a huge charcoal pit grill in the center of the restaurant. A really cool, very social experience to shoot the ****, drink a few beers, and eat garlic toast while everyone cooks their own steaks. It not for everyone, but a cool experience.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
No real hidden gem restaurants. Everything that's good is listed on typical 'best of' lists.
What has been listed so far is accurate.

Flying Mango is one that hasn't been mentioned. It's owned by a guy who lived in New Orleans and the Caribbean- it's some creative Carib BBQ and whatnot.

You are visiting in what is about the least great month of the year- brave soul.

Duke Humphrey

Oct 3, 2013
801 Chophouse in Omaha is as good as any steakhouse I’ve been to

801 Chophouse. Trust me this place is legit. White tablecloth, prime steaks brought to your table on a sizzling plate. Everything from the bread to the desserts is top notch. Service and atmosphere are on pointe

Not been to the one in Des Moines, but if same standard and suppliers, you won’t be disappointed.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Not been to the one in Des Moines, but if same standard and suppliers, you won’t be disappointed.

It's the same. The restaurant started in Des Moines and their address is 801 Grand Ave(hence the name).
They have since expanded to Omaha, Denver, Minneapolis, KC, and STL.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login