Going used truck shopping today.

maroonmadman

Nov 7, 2010
Going to look at something like a Tacoma, Frontier, Ranger, etc. Trying to find one with less than 50K mi, no more than 5 years old. Lets hear the PACs experience. What say ye o wisened ones?

Duke Humphrey

Oct 3, 2013
I was in the market for full size, but the used market was bleak. I ended up buying new. Better luck to you.

FQDawg

May 1, 2006
Going to look at something like a Tacoma, Frontier, Ranger, etc. Trying to find one with less than 50K mi, no more than 5 years old. Lets hear the PACs experience. What say ye o wisened ones?
This isn't truck specific but if you already know who you're going to finance with (assuming you aren't paying cash), they may have a buyer program that helps you get the best price on a vehicle. I almost exclusively finance through USAA and their car buying program has saved me some $$$ over the years.

Relatedly, don't tell the dealer you already have financing in place until after you agree on an out the door price. They're usually willing to work with you some on price if they think you're going to finance with them.

And this goes for anything, but make sure you check all the numbers yourself before you sign off on anything. Bought a car a few years ago and the dealer tried to double count some charge. Was only like $100 but I think he thought I wouldn't notice. The minute I pulled out my phone to start adding up the numbers myself, he suddenly realized he'd "printed the wrong document."

Hot Rock

Jan 2, 2010
Always double check the financing charges and look at all the charges closely. They will tack on stuff you don't want.

I had one in Philadelphia, MS tack on $2,500.00 for a used car warranty. He asked us about it and we said no but he left the charge in place. If the price of the car had not been very reasonable, we would have left right then. He even tried to argue with us that we needed it after I caught it still being there. Biggest rip off in the industry is used car warranties.

Reactions: FQDawg

maroonmadman

Nov 7, 2010
Cast a wide net online.
I've been looking online for a few weeks now. Found some good possibilities. What I want to know from the folks here is personal experience. Anyone on here own a small truck? Pros/cons and the like.

Wesson Bulldog

Nov 3, 2015
Bulldog alum here. I'm in the business at a new car and truck dealer in Brookhaven. Some used vehicle prices have come way down. Used F150s are easing up a bit. Financing rates on average are 8.5% for used. That's average. Great credit is lower.
We never force sell warranties. We offer them to customers, asking several questions to determine the best one. No one has to buy. Nor do we add it in later.
We are completely up front from first impression to final delivery. PM me if I can help.

Reactions: Maroon Pug

WrightGuy821

Mar 13, 2019
I've been looking online for a few weeks now. Found some good possibilities. What I want to know from the folks here is personal experience. Anyone on here own a small truck? Pros/cons and the like.
I own a 2018 Chevy Colorado and it's a good daily truck for someone with no kids. It gets around 24 on the interstate and 19 in the city. It's not great for riding more than like 2 hours. I bought it used and they replaced the transmission in it, but I've never had a problem in the 3 years I've been driving it.

theoriginalSALTYdog

Jul 10, 2021

Traded in my Chevy Silverado a few years ago for a Toyota Tacoma. The difference in the mileage was negligible so the trade off in power wasn't worth it to me personally. That may be neither here nor there for you but that was my personal experience with downsizing trucks.

Last edited:

Mobile Bay

Jul 26, 2020
I own a 2014 Tacoma. I love it. It can carry all that I would ever want to haul. Been all over the south in it from Austin, Texas, to North Carolina, to Key West, Florida. It's never missed a beat. So far i have replaced oil, one set of brake pads, and one battery. That is all. Oh and tires.

Drawbacks are, I have the access cab. Nobody but very small children are riding back there. But you can pack a lot of stuff back there. Another is I only have the four cylinder. Going up a couple of roads around Little River Canyon it's doing like 20 mph with the gas all the way down.

This isn't a drawback per se, but it does handle differently when the gas tank is full than when it's low.

SouthFarmchicken

Oct 20, 2016

I have a 2005 TRD pro 4wd Tacoma with 203k miles on it. A quick google search shows this specific truck with those miles is being sold between 13-17k. The person I bought it from bought it new in 2005, for $29k. This is all unbelievable to me.

STATEgrad04

Mar 3, 2008
I bought a 2020 Tacoma TRDsport last november, and have absolutely loved it. Plenty of power, get up and go, and room to haul people and material. Had 20k miles on it when I bought it and now has 31k, zero issues. I was not as big a fan of the new fronteirs as I thought I was going to be actually seeing them in person, and did not like the fact that the rangers only come in 4cy.

Not sure what your are needing out of truck, but I might suggest looking at the Honda ridgeline (I know, I know). My dad bought one about a year ago and loves it....Rides really good, lots of room, and the functionality is really good. Won't pull much, but if you are like him/me, you dont do a lot of heavy hauling and just need to be able to load stuff from time to time.

I am a bit biased on the Tacomas as that is what I have driven since graduating from State. Previously had a '99 stick TRD 4X4 with 300k on it and it ran amazingly well...just too small for family. Have not regretted the move to the newer Tacoma whatsoever. Also had an '06 Siveraldo 4x4, but ultimately just did not need a big truck.

NWADog

Aug 16, 2014
I was also looking at Colorados and Tacomas. It’s different with everyone on a search like this though. My wife and I knew we were about to start a family. I’m 6’5”… I needed room in a truck to have a car seat in the back without cramping us on trips and wanted leather seats for kid messes and also needed leather for the amount of wade fishing I do. Ended up with a 4 year old Ram Laramie with 45k miles on it for under 45k back in 2021

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Depending on where you are, be open to getting one way ticket to a large metro area where there are more trucks than where you are, Dallas/Fort Worth, for example, I'd be surprised if you can find used at a better deal than new. Dealer inventories are up 74% YoY on new vehicles, but the price of used has dropped a little. Good luck!

Wesson Bulldog

Nov 3, 2015
Geez, we got spoiled with low rates. No way I could sign up for that.
Yep, it sucks. I bought a new SUV in December with 2.9% for 60. I feel like I'm making money on the financing now.
Some credit unions are offering special rates on used vehicles 2020 MY year and up. Just have to keep.looking for the best deal.

LordMcBuckethead

Sep 30, 2022
I have a 2008 Toyota Tundra for Sale with 230+k. Runs like a top. Will let go for 12k. Has one dent right in front of the passenger door that makes the door creek when you open it. It is the CrewMax with the 5.6L V8. I had a cracked manifold around mile 120k. Nothing else ever went wrong with it.
The interior is in pretty good shape except the drivers seat has wear on it.

If anyone needs a work truck or an everyday driver, it is pretty nice.

maroonmadman

Nov 7, 2010
Thanks for the advice good people. Drove a Frontier, Ranger and Tacoma (4cyl) today. The Frontier was today’s best. Want to try a 6 cyl Tacoma. Maybe tomorrow. Anyone buy through CarMax? What are they like?

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
If you're shopping on line. being open to buying a vehicle several hundred miles away can save you some serious money sometimes.

TrueMaroonGrind

Jan 6, 2017
Please report back. I’ve been “looking” for the last year, but haven’t found exactly the right truck or price. I’ve looked at all midsize and am leaning hard Tacoma.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
I bet you ******* hurts after that shopping trip. 17ing dealers are still attempting to rob people. 17 them!

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
I mean like nationwide online and fly there to buy it and drive it back.

Mar 3, 2008
Where do you live? If you’re close to the line belt area there’s a used dealer here that has all red title vehicles. They’re about have price. The local bank here will even finance them because the dealer has that good of a reputation on the vehicles. I bout at z71 from them for 25k about 7 years ago. It listed for 52k at the time. Sold it two years later for 27k. We’ve bought 3 cars from him and never had a problem

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Do yourself a favor and apply online here if you are financing.

You don’t step foot inside until it’s time to sign and pickup a check.

Best rates too.

1688088957742.png

maroonmadman

Nov 7, 2010
Where do you live? If you’re close to the line belt area there’s a used dealer here that has all red title vehicles. They’re about have price. The local bank here will even finance them because the dealer has that good of a reputation on the vehicles. I bout at z71 from them for 25k about 7 years ago. It listed for 52k at the time. Sold it two years later for 27k. We’ve bought 3 cars from him and never had a problem
Live in the Madison Co. I'm not familiar with a "red title" vehicle. What is that?

patdog

May 28, 2007
Thanks for the advice good people. Drove a Frontier, Ranger and Tacoma (4cyl) today. The Frontier was today’s best. Want to try a 6 cyl Tacoma. Maybe tomorrow. Anyone buy through CarMax? What are they like?
Never bought there. But I almost sold a car there. The process was very easy. Got a quote online. When they inspected the car, they found some hail damage that had been repaired I hadn’t disclosed (I honestly forgot about it). But they didn’t change their offer. Wound up trading my car to the dealer when they got closer to CarMax offer that the sales tax differential. My impression was they’re a reputable company. Just don’t expect to negotiate on the price.

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
2012 Frontier crew cab SL with 145k on it. No issues except a sensor went bad and caused some issues at about 85k. No other issues and it does good towing a boat or a side x side.

MaxwellSmart

May 28, 2007
I've got a 2014 Tacoma TRD off road with 135k on it and have only changed the oil and tires. Had a 2003 TRD off road that I traded with 300 k and no issues. I wouldn't look at anything but a Toyota. My wife is on her second 4 runner since 2005 and feels the same way.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login