Going used truck shopping today.

Ddog

May 24, 2023
Going to look at something like a Tacoma, Frontier, Ranger, etc. Trying to find one with less than 50K mi, no more than 5 years old. Let’s hear the PACs experience. What say ye o wisened ones?
Honda Ridgeline are very fine trucks…ride like a car. Drawback is towing capacity.

uptowndawg

Jul 15, 2010
Going to look at something like a Tacoma, Frontier, Ranger, etc. Trying to find one with less than 50K mi, no more than 5 years old. Lets hear the PACs experience. What say ye o wisened ones?
A used Tacoma isnt much less than a new one. So may as well get a new one with the options you want. Also, used or new car salesmen are pieces of ****. You know more about the vehicle you want to buy than they do if you spend 30 seconds reading the window sticker. Get them yo tell you all about the features you know the vehicle doesn’t have. They will lie to you about 8 times per hour, I also try to match their lie rate.

Mar 3, 2008
Correct. The insurance company “totals the vehicle”. They fix them and resell. We had 4 cars drone them and never had a problem on any of them. My Chevy 2019 with a clean tile cost me thousands when the high pressure fuel pump blew up. The wife’s explorer we bought with 3 miles on it has been in the shop more than all the red titles combined. It’s there if you want to check it out. If not y’all all keep paying full price and leave the deals for me when I need a new car!

maroonmadman

Nov 7, 2010
Day 2 Report:
Just to clarify, I am not financing, paying cash.
Yesterday I did the I-55 North (Greater JXN metro) dealers. Today I ventured down I-55 some and over to Hwy 80 in Brandon.

I went to 6 different dealerships today. 5 out of 6 salespersons were good, not obnoxious or any overly aggressive sales techniques. One was a true dick head. Fortunately, he didn't have anything that met my criteria. That's when he became a dick head trying to sell me something I was not even interested in.

So far I've driven Tacomas (4 & 6 cyl.), Frontiers, Ridgeline and Ranger. My leaders so far are a 2022 Frontier SV and a 2020 Tacoma SR5 for just best overall value. The Frontier is going to be about $2500 cheaper than the Toy. It has only 13K mi. The Toy has 28K mi. If I can get them down on the Toy I'll jump on it, if not I'm perfectly happy with the Frontier.

I was unable to find (at the dealers I went to) any Colorados or Canyons. I even went to 2 different GM dealers. Nada.

Online shopping is great but it does not tell the whole story as far as inventory goes. Apparently these dealerships don't employ anyone to constantly update their inventory. Some only update every few weeks or so. There were 2 occasions where I went to look at a specific truck only to find it had been sold and there were a few occasions where I looked at trucks that were not listed online. Sometimes you just gotta pound the pavement.

I tested a Toyota Tacoma with over 70K mi. just for the hell of it and was pleasantly impressed with how well it did considering +70K mi. The Honda had 56K mi. and I was impressed with it as well. It had several nice features lacking on other trucks - tailgate that opens 2 ways and under bed storage.

I'll probably buy a new ride sometimes next week. (waiting on insurance co. to send check) Right now I'm getting several cold adult beverages and chilling out, it's been stressful.

Reactions: dorndawg

Ddog

May 24, 2023
Correct. The insurance company “totals the vehicle”. They fix them and resell. We had 4 cars drone them and never had a problem on any of them. My Chevy 2019 with a clean tile cost me thousands when the high pressure fuel pump blew up. The wife’s explorer we bought with 3 miles on it has been in the shop more than all the red titles combined. It’s there if you want to check it out. If not y’all all keep paying full price and leave the deals for me when I need a new car!
Where is this place and what is its name?

3407Dewey

Jun 4, 2014
I've got a 2014 Tacoma TRD off road with 135k on it and have only changed the oil and tires. Had a 2003 TRD off road that I traded with 300 k and no issues. I wouldn't look at anything but a Toyota. My wife is on her second 4 runner since 2005 and feels the same way.
Since you have that much experience with Toyotas, quick question for you. I just bought a 2007 Tundra with 240k miles. It’s in amazing shape and runs great. My question is about the transmission fluid. I have all the original owner’s service records and I don’t think the transmission fluid has ever been changed. Is that normal?

MaxwellSmart

May 28, 2007
Since you have that much experience with Toyotas, quick question for you. I just bought a 2007 Tundra with 240k miles. It’s in amazing shape and runs great. My question is about the transmission fluid. I have all the original owner’s service records and I don’t think the transmission fluid has ever been changed. Is that normal?

Personally, I have never messed with an automatic transmission on any vehicle unless there was something wrong. If the fluid smells burnt or it starts slipping then you do something. I had more than a couple of mechanics tell me when I was young to leave it alone. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Reactions: 3407Dewey

TrueMaroonGrind

Jan 6, 2017
Personally, I have never messed with an automatic transmission on any vehicle unless there was something wrong. If the fluid smells burnt or it starts slipping then you do something. I had more than a couple of mechanics tell me when I was young to leave it alone. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
I was told the same and also don’t know if that advice is foolproof. I have a RAV4 with 150k miles on it. The transmission fluid was changed once when it was jumping a lot on acceleration. A buddy of mine did the same with his 4Runner. Fixed the problem immediately and I wouldn’t have done it unless that issue happened.

[email protected]

Sep 29, 2022
Is there a better method of online searching than cars.com? Surely you don’t have to go to each dealerships site. Will soon be in the market for my teen driver.
Squared-I’ve been browsing caredge.com for a year or so. For each vehicle, it shows the pricing history (can not confirm the accuracy), and I would like to think that’s a metric to use when shopping/negotiating. I haven’t made any purchases but expect to in the next year or so.

As OP mentioned, I have found that trucks listed on caredge aren’t on dealers sites.

I’ve had all Toyotas until my current vehicle. I needed something that got better fuel economy ( 100 mile commute for work) than the Toys, so I got a Canyon with the small duramax motor. 28 mpg, 4x4 and 33” tires, 118k miles.

vicksburg

Sep 28, 2022
Where are you talking about?

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
Day 2 Report:
Yesterday I did the I-55 North (Greater JXN metro) dealers. Today I ventured down I-55 some and over to Hwy 80 in Brandon.

I went to 6 different dealerships today. 5 out of 6 salespersons were good, not obnoxious or any overly aggressive sales techniques. One was a true dick head. Fortunately, he didn't have anything that met my criteria. That's when he became a dick head trying to sell me something I was not even interested in.

So far I've driven Tacomas (4 & 6 cyl.), Frontiers, Ridgeline and Ranger. My leaders so far are a 2022 Frontier SV and a 2020 Tacoma SR5 for just best overall value. The Frontier is going to be about $2500 cheaper than the Toy. It has only 13K mi. The Toy has 28K mi. If I can get them down on the Toy I'll jump on it, if not I'm perfectly happy with the Frontier.

I was unable to find (at the dealers I went to) any Colorados or Canyons. I even went to 2 different GM dealers. Nada.

Online shopping is great but it does not tell the whole story as far as inventory goes. Apparently these dealerships don't employ anyone to constantly update their inventory. Some only update every few weeks or so. There were 2 occasions where I went to look at a specific truck only to find it had been sold and there were a few occasions where I looked at trucks that were not listed online. Sometimes you just gotta pound the pavement.

I tested a Toyota Tacoma with over 70K mi. just for the hell of it and was pleasantly impressed with how well it did considering +70K mi. The Honda had 56K mi. and I was impressed with it as well. It had several nice features lacking on other trucks - tailgate that opens 2 ways and under bed storage.

I'll probably buy a new ride sometimes next week. (waiting on insurance co. to send check) Right now I'm getting several cold adult beverages and chilling out, it's been stressful.
We need an update @maroonmadman

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
I drive a Jeep Gladiator. It’s a great Jeep but it’s a so-so pickup. I’ve always had a Jeep and usually a truck as well. I consolidated with the Gladiator and it serves me at my place in life but it’s really not a viable option if you need a half ton truck.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Day 2 Report:

1) I advise against the Tacoma 4cyl. Great truck, will last forever. Gets practically no better gas mileage than the V6 and is woefully underpowered.

2) I'm convinced that dealers on purpose do not update websites so that they force people to come in. At least that is my Jackson, MS experience. Nearly never had a car on the lot that was on the website when I was looking.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
It should be changed on a regular schedule (manual should tell you). And I always heard not to change or not to if you didn't do it early on. That's horse hockey. If you don't, you will eventually if you keep it long enough. Thing will start to shift poorly . Sound like you're riding across a cattle gap. I had a truck several years ago I never changed until it had 250K, and started with the rough shifting. It fixed the issue. No other problems. Now, with these newer 10 speed transmissions, you better folllw the manual somewhat at least.

Reactions: 3407Dewey

maroonmadman

Nov 7, 2010
Haven’t bought a truck yet. I’m still waiting on my insurance company to send me a check. On Monday I had reached a deal on a truck and had cleared using my Amex card for the purchase but the Sales Manager shot down that idea. No idea why and it left the sales person looking confused.

Top contenders: 2022 Frontier SV, 2020 Tacoma SR5, 2020 Ridgeline, 2021 Frontier SV 4x4.

I’m heading to CarMax later today so maybe there will be an update later.

I like both the Frontier 2022 and the Toyota. The Toy dealership doesn’t want to come down on price though and I can get the Frontier - drive off the lot price - for less than what they are asking for the Toy.

I’ll keep updating. The saga continues….

Reactions: WrightGuy821

PK Dawg

Jul 17, 2022
Where do you live? If you’re close to the line belt area there’s a used dealer here that has all red title vehicles. They’re about have price. The local bank here will even finance them because the dealer has that good of a reputation on the vehicles. I bout at z71 from them for 25k about 7 years ago. It listed for 52k at the time. Sold it two years later for 27k. We’ve bought 3 cars from him and never had a problem
What’s the place called?

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
I drive a Jeep Gladiator. It’s a great Jeep but it’s a so-so pickup. I’ve always had a Jeep and usually a truck as well. I consolidated with the Gladiator and it serves me at my place in life but it’s really not a viable option if you need a half ton truck.
Trade it prior to the warranty expiring. Spent $4k on my 2015 JKU this year alone.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login