Good and bad - what's your one takeaway from Lebby's start at State?

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
Good - the offense has adjusted to the personnel. We seem to be running the ball better.

Bad - didn't expect to be this bad offensively and coupling that with what we pretty much expected defensively - it's led to 1-4. Never did I think we would be this bad.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Bad - Lebby inherited a train wreck and made it worse in a lot of ways.

Good - Van Buren looks like he could be a legitimately good QB.

Reactions: Indndawg

maroonmadman

Nov 7, 2010
Good - Offensive play calling and (as you said) tailoring our offense to the players abilities.
Bad - Play execution, we ain't all on the same page every play. Noticeable lack of SEC caliber talent.

3 years with 3 new head coaches is a recipe for failure. No sustained recruiting, relying on transfers, this method isn't going to help us forward.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
This Is Fine GIF

Reactions: Indndawg

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
good = slow the game down to make the point differential lower

bad = we are #16 of 16 SEC teams and it may be that way next year as well

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Good - the offense has adjusted to the personnel. We seem to be running the ball better.

Bad - didn't expect to be this bad offensively and coupling that with what we pretty much expected defensively - it's led to 1-4. Never did I think we would be this bad.

Sloe Joe Moorhead says what is this adjusting the offense to the personnel concept of which you speak?

Edit: He is now 5-24 at Akron, thank goodness Cohen made at least 1 good decision here......

Last edited:

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
Good - I think the offensive scheme is potentially fun and I see upside if he can improve the roster, particularly at the LOS

Bad - the roster is a total mess and I don’t think we hired a very good staff to help a first year HC. And I don’t think next year will be drastically better in terms of the W/L column.

Lucifer Morningstar

Aug 30, 2022
Good- I hate to be Debbie Downer the Devil but honestly nothing. This is the worst we have ever been, imo. Not blaming Lebby given reasons we could spend all day going over. And maybe he fixes it, and maybe he doesnt. I do not have a whole lot of faith, but we are stuck with him for a while.

Bad- Defense as a whole.

Reactions: Bullldawg78

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Sloe Joe Moorhead says what is this adjusting the offense to the personnel concept of which you speak?
He actually did it too sometimes - Auburn and Texas A&M come to mind in 2018. Even Croom did it a time or two (Florida 2004).

The problem is, the good coaches can figure this shlt out during spring and fall practice, and not blow a bunch of possible wins in the process. They adapt to what they have now, and recruit to what they want to do later on. Or, you go out and recruit what you want to do immediately. Well, Lebby went out turned the roster over (which is fine, easier to get to his system), but now his system doesn't work, and he wants to adapt, 4 games too late.

There are 3 general types of college coaches:

Recruiter: Orgeron, Dabo, etc., rara guys who can recruit but have to hire big coordinators, they can run anything because they have great players, generally hands off the Xs and Os;
Fundamental: Saban, Mullen.....most all coaches fall into this....they have a specialty, either O or D but keep a pulse on both, generally they are good at adapting and then recruiting to what they want, and rise or fall with talent;
Offensive System: Leach, Malzahn, triple option, Rich Rod, etc. They run their weird shlt immediately and get great at it, totally delegate the defense.

Which one is Lebby? Hell nobody knows

RockyDog

Jan 2, 2023
Most actual fans were realistic about the defense.

However, nobody guessed just how bad he OL and RBs were. I guess we now know why they were running through gaping holes in the spring game.

I thought, at minimum, Lebby's scheme could result in a decent running game. At this point, we are getting no better results than the Leach offense. Although the last 2 games have been more promising, but it's too little too late. The winnable games are behind us at this point for the most part.

MStateDawg

Aug 3, 2021
Good - recruiting seems to be doing okay.
Bad - the on field performance has been atrocious. Easily the worst we've looked since Croom and maybe the worst since the Tech & Ten season in '88.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012

I had low expectations for the defense, but they weren't this low. Did anybody here really expect us to get the living hell kicked out of us by Toledo or allow Arizona State to run the ball at will or the huge gaps that were highlighted during the Florida film reviews?

I knew we would be bad, but I thought Sirmon was our floor. This is sub-Sirmon levels.

Reactions: AtomicDog

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
Good - the fact that we have fans capable of finding something good about this season

Bad - Literally everything associated with the program right now. Offense, defense, coaching, development, portal usage, recruiting. This staff took a bad season and has thus far managed to make it exceedingly worse. We got run off our home field in consecutive weeks to such an embarrassing extent that some are viewing giving up 520 yds of offense or gaining 3 yds/carry on the ground as a step forward. I need to see more from Lebby and this team, a lot more

Reactions: patdog

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007
Bad - It feels like he wasn't ready for his first HC gig to be in the SEC.

Good - It feels like he's up for some OTJ.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Honestly, I can't really take away anything at all. This is such a comprehensive rebuild that I'm just going to have to wait and see what happens. To me this year is a pass.

Dawg1976

Aug 22, 2012
Our record is certainly worse than expected at this point but I'm not going to worry about it year one. Just build on what improvements we saw in the Texas game and I will be satisfied this year. Hopefully we will have a decent recruiting year and year two will be more pleasing to everyone.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I thought, at minimum, Lebby's scheme could result in a decent running game. At this point, we are getting no better results than the Leach offense. Although the last 2 games have been more promising, but it's too little too late. The winnable games are behind us at this point for the most part.
No shlt. Except Leach's offense yielded big gaping holes in various SEC defenses, prompting you mouth breathers to scream RuN dA bAwL!!1111

Man, winning sure did suck back then didn't it ********

Reactions: Howiefeltersnstch

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
I personally think that Lebby is going to be a good coach someday and somewhere. So my bad would be he learns his occupation at State (on our dime) and moves on like Mullen did.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
I personally think that Lebby is going to be a good coach someday and somewhere. So my bad would be he learns his occupation at State (on our dime) and moves on like Mullen did.
I'd dance a jib if he was on Mullen's level, even if he leaves after a successful season.

Howiefeltersnstch

Dec 28, 2019
The good....we don't have to worry about which bowl game we get. Dodged the Liberty Bowl again.
The bad....after spring ball and fall camp and adding so many players we still can't even beat Toledo. We barely beat OFF

Theconnormead

Jan 26, 2023

Good - Shown the ability and willingness to make changes. When Croom came in he said we are going to run the West Coast Offense and our current players will have to learn to adjust to it. Dan said we are going to run the spread or a version of the spread, and we will adjust the offense to the personnel. I see a lot of Dan's willingness to adjust the offense to the situation.
Bad - Should have hired a proven DC with experience. Someone who could have served not only as a DC but an advisor / mentor as well.

In the end I'm not sure anyone knew how depleted of talent we were / are. This is going to take time and in this day and age.....CASH.

RockyDog

Jan 2, 2023
No shlt. Except Leach's offense yielded big gaping holes in various SEC defenses, prompting you mouth breathers to scream RuN dA bAwL!!1111

Man, winning sure did suck back then didn't it ********
Not even gonna argue with you since you know this is fake news. We are in this situation because of Leach and Arnett. 2022 was supposed to be the season where stubborn Leach finally addressed the running game and we barely cracked the 1000 yard mark. Sure the passing yards were pretty on paper but the 5 yard dump offense with all it's glorious passing yards was the 43rd ranked offense behind SEC offensive juggernauts Arkansas and South Carolina

You spouted off above about Lebby "turning over the roster". HOW could he not? We had chicken **** on the offensive side. What did you expect him to do, run zone read with Chris Parson and a juco RB?

Leodawg1990

Oct 4, 2023
I’m going to start off with the negative. We near the rosters bad, but we didn’t know it was in this bad shape. I’ve heard many times before we should have beaten Toledo, under normal circumstances our degree however, the depth of the defensive line is that of a NAI school.

We can survive this, but we have to give Coach Lebby the support, he truly needs to succeed. This is going to require a lot of patience, but ultimately we have to have the vision of where we want to see the program.

Mississippi State is a program where we need to invest in people first, we need to go to the right players, the right administrators, players who are underdogs, who have a chip on their shoulder to prove something, the university has always been a better program when it embraces that circumstance.

For me personally, growing up with cerebral palsy, and having people nonchalantly look down on me just because they might be afraid of my disability, or as I get older, they underestimate my intelligence. I still love my university and I have contacts and I will eventually be able to help every person who wants to become a student at Mississippi State.

I have been blessed to be well connected and I have numerous lifelong friendships with most of our former football basketball and baseball players.

The key to getting people invest in anything is to genuinely show that you care and pull on their heart strings, a little bit, either by encouraging them or reminiscing about the past.
I was a Mississippi State University Roadrunner and I graduated from Mississippi State with degree and communications with an emphasis in public relations. I was blessed to attend Mississippi State from 2009 to 2015. It was arguably the best stretch in the footballs, modern history.

No one will support anyone using circumstances. I often utilize my love sports to assist others with special needs to increase their independence and quality of life. Soon you will hear of my endeavor.
Coach Lebby will be very successful

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login