Good article on the transfer portal

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Using the words "good" and "transfer portal" doesn't compute with me

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
I’ll admit, I hate it right now, but I also think the NCAA could make it a whole lot better with just a few tweaks. Having specific windows for entering the portal and doing away with the immediate play waiver for non-grads would be 1A and 1B on my list.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
I’ll admit, I hate it right now, but I also think the NCAA could make it a whole lot better with just a few tweaks. Having specific windows for entering the portal and doing away with the immediate play waiver for non-grads would be 1A and 1B on my list.
But yet coaches can leave whenever, bail before bowls games, etc.? If you want to be mad about the portal, be mad first at the coaches. I have to admit that the only anger I have at the portal stems from me being used to the way things have always been done. I don't see it as a bad thing, overall. Beforehand, kids had to get that NCAA waiver, and did you ever notice how the blue bloods seemed to get that much more than the rest of us?

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
I’ve got no issue with that being your feelings, but I’ve never been one to equate coaches to players, rookies to veterans, or machine operators to executives. Different positions come with different sets of rules and expectations, and that’s nothing new

If we’re using this argument, couldn’t we also ask why HS players can’t just sign any time? After all, coaches can

QuaoarsKing

Mar 11, 2008
If we’re using this argument, couldn’t we also ask why HS players can’t just sign any time? After all, coaches can

That would be a fantastic improvement to recruiting. Abolish Signing Day and make schools put up or shut up when a player is ready to formalize a commitment.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
But yet coaches can leave whenever, bail before bowls games, etc.? If you want to be mad about the portal, be mad first at the coaches. I have to admit that the only anger I have at the portal stems from me being used to the way things have always been done. I don't see it as a bad thing, overall. Beforehand, kids had to get that NCAA waiver, and did you ever notice how the blue bloods seemed to get that much more than the rest of us?

If the NCAA could get away with it, they absolutely would stop coaches from transferring until after bowls and also limit pay for them.

At this point, I wish the NCAA would just do away with scholarship sports. Make everything club sports, and require that the coaches be student athletes. Go back to prohibiting any benefits being paid to players and see if that is enough to get them around antitrust.

harrybollocks

Oct 11, 2012
All of those different jobs and titles also share rules, regulations and expectations. I suspect machinists can move and change jobs when they want to as well.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login