Good DB committed...

StateCollege

Oct 17, 2022
Lebby is absolutely doing the right thing by utilizing the JUCOs. I'm encouraged by that.

If he can do the program management/discipline thing right, we may have something here.
I'm not outright disagreeing with the JUCO route being the right way to go, but what makes you say that it is?

The Fatboy

Oct 18, 2005
I'm not outright disagreeing with the JUCO route being the right way to go, but what makes you say that it is?
You get hungry kids that have already developed physically but I'm not sure we can rely on Jucos to always pan out. They are good for a shot un the arm and to fill depth but if we are going after kids with limited eligibility left then I'd prefer we try to snag some kids from a power 5 school that have been tested a little but are still hungry.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
@Fatboy said some, plus it's an in-state advantage that we have. It may not have the superstars we've seen in the past (due to the portal), but there are still a bunch of MS HS guys that developed late, and some problem guys with high talent.

The latter is why it's important to our head coach to be solid when it comes to discipline. No friend shlt like Moorhead. We are going to have to take a few problem guys with an edge to them.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Reactions: kired

StateCollege

Oct 17, 2022
@Fatboy said some, plus it's an in-state advantage that we have. It may not have the superstars we've seen in the past (due to the portal), but there are still a bunch of MS HS guys that developed late, and some problem guys with high talent.

The latter is why it's important to our head coach to be solid when it comes to discipline. No friend shlt like Moorhead. We are going to have to take a few problem guys with an edge to them.
I feel you. My initial thought was what you mentioned about JUCO having less overall talent due to the portal.

My main concern right now is signing 3 JUCO guys from the same defense. I know EMCC is really good, but it's worrying that we could theoretically have ~25% of EMCC's 2023 defense on the field at the same time next year.

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
I'm pretty sure JUCO is not where you wanna be mining your talent from. If we find ourselves utilizing the JUCO route its because we suck. Filling some holes in the short term until we get rolling again might be ok but not a long term plan by any means

Reactions: Drebin

Jack Klompus.sixpack

Mar 6, 2021
I’m afraid Juco is just going to be 13th grade in this new era of college football. Non-power 5 and FCS schools are going to be the new Juco.

Reactions: patdog

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014

Before the portal that was the way to get experienced players . Lot of good talent still in ms juco ball. Good way to find immediate needs. Some of our best defensive guys were juco guys.

Reactions: SixtonPackerish

patdog

May 28, 2007
My main concern right now is signing 3 JUCO guys from the same defense. I know EMCC is really good, but it's worrying that we could theoretically have ~25% of EMCC's 2023 defense on the field at the same time next year.
But it worked out so well when Jackie signed 3players from the same JUCO defense in 2003. **

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
I'm pretty sure JUCO is not where you wanna be mining your talent from. If we find ourselves utilizing the JUCO route its because we suck. Filling some holes in the short term until we get rolling again might be ok but not a long term plan by any means
The thread was absolutely getting too positive (that's reserved for OM threads), I'm glad the low expectations fans have made an appearance. I was worried for a moment.

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
Yes. Thats true enough. Several other of our stars but today's juco is not like the old juco. Really good players rarely go the juco route these days but we will see how it goes. Pittman was pretty good. I still don't think it's a good way to go very often

Reactions: StateCollege

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Yes. Thats true enough. Several other of our stars but today's juco is not like the old juco. Really good players rarely go the juco route these days but we will see how it goes. Pittman was pretty good. I still don't think it's a good way to go very often
3-5 players every year. Back in the old days we were usually 5-7 or so.

kired

Aug 22, 2008
I’m afraid Juco is just going to be 13th grade in this new era of college football. Non-power 5 and FCS schools are going to be the new Juco.
I would hope that the actual juco guys get somewhat overlooked now with the portal, and we’re able to use our local connections to more effectively scout & recruit the best ones.

Sounds plausible but time will tell

ETK99

Jul 30, 2019
I feel you. My initial thought was what you mentioned about JUCO having less overall talent due to the portal.

3? We got 4 off that defense. Two are marginal guys at best. More depth/bodies than impact. Two should be ok.

BoDawg.sixpack

Feb 5, 2010
Well, he did go to Bama as a freshman. Not many Juco players do that. He doesn't have to be really good to plug a hole in our secondary. I'll gladly take an average SEC corner and be happy after watching our pass defense in '23.

Reactions: bolddogge

tired

Sep 16, 2013
GA offered him. Do they suck?

Reactions: Anon1697564126

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Lebby is absolutely doing the right thing by utilizing the JUCOs. I'm encouraged by that.

If he can do the program management/discipline thing right, we may have something here.
Four defensive guys from EMCC is a little much. And some of these jucos were committed to Arnett previously. It's always a gamble with those guys.

I like this pickup because it's a guy with bigtime offers at a position of need.

Reactions: Ranchdawg
Nov 25, 2019
i think this year it helps fill in the gaps on depth. Not a long term solution though.

Reactions: Rupert Jenkins

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
i think this year it helps fill in the gaps on depth. Not a long term solution though.
Yes, that's all it is, and no reasonable person expects more. Consistently fills in the depth, some start immediately, some contribute down the line (hopefully). This DB sounds like he is one of those problem guys with baggage, that could possibly come in a start.

Reactions: knock him out john

Chesusdog

May 2, 2006
Cam Newton played at Florida before going to Jr. College and we know the rest of his story. If UGA recruited Brylan then he checks the boxes for me.

Cam only ended up at Florida after he stole someone's laptop... and for academic dishonesty(×3).

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login