Good Ole Boy CyberTruck Review

Dawg1976

Aug 22, 2012
Enjoyed the video. Does it make me want to go buy one? No. But does look fun to drive. Ugly as hell.

Reactions: She Mate Me

travis.sixpack

Mar 3, 2008
I rarely enter the EV threads with opinions because I just don't know enough to be useful or interesting. But, I did find this review from a buddy of Tucker to be honest and entertaining. The guy should start his own YouTube channel (but I think you'll see he's too busy).

From a Yankee Good Ole Boy (sorry if this is Germans)...

I saw one parking at the grocery store. When I got of my truck (a lifted F-150 Lariat, by God), there were people in the parking lot straight up pointing and laughing at the Cyber truck. I know the dude (and we all know it's a dude driving those) had hear them. At least the guy had the sense to wrap those awful stainless steel body panels with matte black.

Reactions: dorndawg

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
You're an idiot. The video is not at all about Tucker.
I can't even keep up anymore... Is the cyber truck an answer to the existential crisis of climate change because it's an EV, or is it pure evil because Adolph Musk invented it? Someone let me know whether I can like it or not**

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
I saw one parking at the grocery store. When I got of my truck (a lifted F-150 Lariat, by God), there were people in the parking lot straight up pointing and laughing at the Cyber truck. I know the dude (and we all know it's a dude driving those) had hear them. At least the guy had the sense to wrap those awful stainless steel body panels with matte black.

In some ways I appreciate these early adopters. It feels like we as a species have to go down this road and we need pioneers to lead the way.

I'm just pretty confident I don't wanna hang out with any of them.

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
In some ways I appreciate these early adopters. It feels like we as a species have to go down this road and we need pioneers to lead the way.

I would have seriously considered getting one. All I use my truck for is driving back and forth from work. We use the minivan to take any long trips. I actually watched it live when Elon showed it off. As soon as it rolled out all motivation I had to get one disappeared.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
I would have seriously considered getting one. All I use my truck for is driving back and forth from work. We use the minivan to take any long trips. I actually watched it live when Elon showed it off. As soonel as it rolled out all motivation I had to get one disappeared.

Honest question.

I've never been somebody who will buy a brand new vehicle model. Don't even like the idea of buying the first year of a redesign on an existing model.

Knowing the headaches your going to have with a brand new product line, a very new, relatively, car company and the very high price, what would make you consider one of these (before you saw it)??

Reactions: patdog

dog12

Sep 15, 2016
Oh I agree. Politicians just think they set a rule and then industry will make it happen, but they don't know the millions of dollars and all the hard work that goes into their uninformed decisions. It's like we just push a button to make it happen.

But, I also think there are a lot of uninformed opinions about EVs because there is a lot of money to be lost. In the oil industry. In mechanics and shops. In quick change oil places. I see negative articles all the time about them and think that none of them are what my lived experience tells me is true.

I have over 86,000 miles in just over 2 years and have never (and will never) need an oil change. I've never needed to take it to the shop. It's never had any mechanical issue.

In short, other than the payment, I am cash flow positive over an ICE car because I drive so much. And subtracting out the gas, oil, and maintenance, my payment isn't really that much. If you have a shorter commute, your payback will be longer.

I still have my 2015 Nissan Leaf that I bought new in December 2014. Has over 102k miles on it.

In the years that we've had it, I've replaced all 4 tires twice. I also replaced the 12V battery (not the "big" battery set that propels the car down the road) once, because I was getting some weird error message. We put in a 220V charger in our garage when we bought it, so it would charge faster.

And that's it. This is our first EV, and it has greatly exceeded our expectations.

The battery pack doesn't store/use energy as efficiently as it did when it was new, but we can take the car anywhere that is within 25-30 miles of our house (50-60 mile roundtrip).

When the battery pack is on it's last legs, we will sell the Leaf and buy a Tesla (probably either a Model 3 or a Model Y).

Not having to buy gas is a beautiful thing.

dog12

Sep 15, 2016

Exactly.

Otherwise, nothing would ever change and we'd still be living in caves.

It's a good thing that we're not all alike. Life wouldn't be as interesting and/or fun.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
I have a theory that the people who buy cyber trucks have a robust humiliation kink.

1723820467010.jpeg

Reactions: travis.sixpack

travis.sixpack

Mar 3, 2008

There's nothing wrong with Tesla building a capable electric truck. The problem is the overall design. It's such a departure from their normal design language that in my heart of hearts I believe it was a joke design that Elon Musk thought was cool and made them make it. It looks like a prop from a bad Sci-Fi movie. The Tesla cars are attractive regardless of the tech inside of them. Once all the tech-bros have their Cyber Trucks, I imagine sales flatten out because normies don't want to drive a steel dumpster.

The Rivian is so much more attractive.

MSUDAWGFAN

Apr 17, 2014
I still have my 2015 Nissan Leaf that I bought new in December 2014. Has over 102k miles on it.

In the years that we've had it, I've replaced all 4 tires twice. I also replaced the 12V battery (not the "big" battery set that propels the car down the road) once, because I was getting some weird error message. We put in a 220V charger in our garage when we bought it, so it would charge faster.

And that's it. This is our first EV, and it has greatly exceeded our expectations.

The battery pack doesn't store/use energy as efficiently as it did when it was new, but we can take the car anywhere that is within 25-30 miles of our house (50-60 mile roundtrip).

When the battery pack is on it's last legs, we will sell the Leaf and buy a Tesla (probably either a Model 3 or a Model Y).

My EV is from June 2022 and I have over 86k miles on it. I charge to 80% daily and when I get to work it usually had around 60% when I got to work when I first got it. Now, it has a lot closer to 58% most times. One of the good things though is that more chargers are coming up and I'll be able to charge without having to replace the big battery.

I am going to replace the little battery soon. One thing most people don't realize is that while you can change a 12V battery in an ICE car, it's harder to do in an EV because you have to disconnect it from the big battery. I pretty much have to get mine done at the dealership, so it'll be fairly expensive, but I'm going to do it preventively. I'll probably get it done around January or February.

Reactions: dog12

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
Honest question.

I've never been somebody who will buy a brand new vehicle model. Don't even like the idea of buying the first year of a redesign on an existing model.

Knowing the headaches your going to have with a brand new product line, a very new, relatively, car company and the very high price, what would make you consider one of these (before you saw it)??
Excellent question. I would have waited for the second year model for the points you made above if I did decide to get one. Definitely would have wanted to see them in the wild first.

as far as why I would want one, my next door neighbor has a Tesla and spends 50 bucks a month on the electricity it takes for him to drive to work each day. He drive an almost an hour to work and an hour back. I drive 30 minutes to work and 30 minutes back. I spend a smidge more than 50 bucks a month on my V8 Ram.

I wasn’t drooling to get one, but the thought of a functional electric truck intrigued me. And then I saw it.

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
There's nothing wrong with Tesla building a capable electric truck. The problem is the overall design. It's such a departure from their normal design language that in my heart of hearts I believe it was a joke design that Elon Musk thought was cool and made them make it. It looks like a prop from a bad Sci-Fi movie. The Tesla cars are attractive regardless of the tech inside of them. Once all the tech-bros have their Cyber Trucks, I imagine sales flatten out because normies don't want to drive a steel dumpster.

The Rivian is so much more attractive.
I give you the car from Timecop

1723835905024.jpeg

MSUDAWGFAN

Apr 17, 2014
Honest question.

I bought the first year of mine. As a matter of fact, I think 22 was the first year they did any all electric but I'm not sure about that.

The reason I did is because in my opinion my car is the best looking car on the road and there aren't nearly as many possible issues with EVs as there are ICE cars.

I dont have anything against Elon, quite the opposite actually, but I'm really glad I didn't get a Tesla. The cost was very similar at the time, and I don't see many of mine on the road. It makes Mr feel kind of unique and I get compliments all the time.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I can't even keep up anymore... Is the cyber truck an answer to the existential crisis of climate change because it's an EV, or is it pure evil because Adolph Musk invented it? Someone let me know whether I can like it or not**
A lot of Californians are very conflicted about that very issue. And that’s not even a joke. For real.

Reactions: Darryl Steight

patdog

May 28, 2007
Honest question.

This is very good and underrated advice. Never, ever, ever buy a vehicle on the 1st year it’s produced. I’m even a little hesitant about the 2nd year.

patdog

May 28, 2007

EV can be a good choice for some people, if you’re a 2-car family & the EV will be primarily for round trips of 200 miles or less. A few comments:
1. Good luck getting anything for it when the battery pack is on its last legs.
2. no gas is good, but you’re really only saving 1/2 to 2/3 the cost at best. And that’s if you never charge anywhere but home.
3. Dealing with a huge cable the size of a gas pump hose in your garage & having to charge every night is a pain.

I’ll be driving my gas guzzler for a while longer then get a hybrid. But if I was a 2-car family, I might consider an EV.

MSUDAWGFAN

Apr 17, 2014
EV can be a good choice for some people, if you’re a 2-car family & the EV will be primarily for round trips of 200 miles or less. A few comments:
2. no gas is good, but you’re really only saving 1/2 to 2/3 the cost at best. And that’s if you never charge anywhere but home.
3. Dealing with a huge cable the size of a gas pump hose in your garage & having to charge every night is a pain.

I’ll be driving my gas guzzler for a while longer then get a hybrid. But if I was a 2-car family, I might consider an EV.

Well if you don't travel too much, you don't have to charge every night. I do because my commute is 140 round trip minimum, but on the weekends I don't have to.

Also, yes the cord is long and thick, but it really isn't bad. It's much easier than a gas pump hose.

And also, battery packs are lasting quite a long time. Most 10 year old EVs still have their original battery pack. It appears that I have only lost about 2% of my range in 2 years.

dog12

Sep 15, 2016
My EV is from June 2022 and I have over 86k miles on it. I charge to 80% daily and when I get to work it usually had around 60% when I got to work when I first got it. Now, it has a lot closer to 58% most times. One of the good things though is that more chargers are coming up and I'll be able to charge without having to replace the big battery.

I am going to replace the little battery soon. One thing most people don't realize is that while you can change a 12V battery in an ICE car, it's harder to do in an EV because you have to disconnect it from the big battery. I pretty much have to get mine done at the dealership, so it'll be fairly expensive, but I'm going to do it preventively. I'll probably get it done around January or February.
That dropoff isn't too bad yet (barely even noticeable). The big battery should last you for a good while longer.

Concerning the little battery, the 12V battery was easy to replace in my Leaf (very much like replacing the battery in an ICE car). Check YT to see whether there are any videos about how to replace the little battery in your EV car.

dog12

Sep 15, 2016

Yes, we have 3 cars and 2 are ICE cars. Daughter is headed to Virginia Tech, which is about 240 miles from the house, so we need the ICE cars.

Replies to your comments:
1) Right. I'm sure that I won't get much for it. But anything I do get is gravy, because I've driven this car for 10 years and over 100k miles . . . and I'm still driving it. As I said earlier, our EV car has greatly exceeded our expectations.
2) I'm saving only 1/2 to 2/3 the cast of gas? How do you know that? I charge my EV car only at home, because I drive it only to places within 30 miles of my house. Years ago, I compared my electricity bills AFTER my EV to my bills BEFORE my EV, and the difference was minimal ($10-15/mo). Charging our EV made no significant difference in our electricity bill.
3) The charger in my garage is no trouble at all. It's mounted to the wall, so it doesn't take up much space. The plugin port on my EV car is on the front. I pull into the garage, and the charger is right there. It takes 5-10 seconds to plugin.

Clearly, EV cars are not for everyone. Each person has to take a look at his particular circumstances and determine whether an EV car would work for him.

Try a hybrid when you're ready. If you like it and think that an EV car would work for you, then you could give it a try.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Yes, we have 3 cars and 2 are ICE cars. Daughter is headed to Virginia Tech, which is about 240 miles from the house, so we need the ICE cars.

Replies to your comments:
1) Right. I'm sure that I won't get much for it. But anything I do get is gravy, because I've driven this car for 10 years and over 100k miles . . . and I'm still driving it. As I said earlier, our EV car has greatly exceeded our expectations.
2) I'm saving only 1/2 to 2/3 the cast of gas? How do you know that? I charge my EV car only at home, because I drive it only to places within 30 miles of my house. Years ago, I compared my electricity bills AFTER my EV to my bills BEFORE my EV, and the difference was minimal ($10-15/mo). Charging our EV made no significant difference in our electricity bill.
3) The charger in my garage is no trouble at all. It's mounted to the wall, so it doesn't take up much space. The plugin port on my EV car is on the front. I pull into the garage, and the charger is right there. It takes 5-10 seconds to plugin.

Clearly, EV cars are not for everyone. Each person has to take a look at his particular circumstances and determine whether an EV car would work for him.

Try a hybrid when you're ready. If you like it and think that an EV car would work for you, then you could give it a try.
1. Completely agree
2. Most EV MPGe is about 100-120 mpg. A good hybrid can get 40. All electric is a big gas savings but it’s not free.
3. based on what I’ve seen at my sons (EV) and my dads (PHEV), it’s not for me. But that obviously varies by person.
4. I would have a hybrid today but the car I wanted didn’t come in a hybrid version. I do believe we need to very quickly get to a point where a pure ICE, no hybrid vehicle is mostly a thing of the past.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
1. Completely agree
2. Most EV MPGe is about 100-120 mpg. A good hybrid can get 40. All electric is a big gas savings but it’s not free.
3. based on what I’ve seen at my sons (EV) and my dads (PHEV), it’s not for me. But that obviously varies by person.
4. I would have a hybrid today but the car I wanted didn’t come in a hybrid version. I do believe we need to very quickly get to a point where a pure ICE, no hybrid vehicle is mostly a thing of the past.
I'll be glad when the day comes that EV's find a way into our society because of their practicality and not because some nit-wit politician is trying to force it to pander to a certain group of voters. I believe half the homes in this country with multiple vehicles would seriously consider at least one EV now if it made sense to them. Then as technology does it's thing (as it always has) the EV will find it's way into more and more applications. I truly believe if we take a pragmatic approach to this and keep politics out of it , it will happen much quicker than most realize.

turkish

Aug 22, 2012
Between EVs and data centers, our electrical grid is gonna be making headlines in the years to come.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
I'll be glad when the day comes that EV's find a way into our society because of their practicality and not because some nit-wit politician is trying to force it to pander to a certain group of voters. I believe half the homes in this country with multiple vehicles would seriously consider at least one EV now if it made sense to them. Then as technology does it's thing (as it always has) the EV will find it's way into more and more applications. I truly believe if we take a pragmatic approach to this and keep politics out of it , it will happen much quicker than most realize.

I'm not at a point where I'm going to spend much time researching things about EVs that aren't mostly worked out yet.

But, I have seen bits about these big batteries becoming a sort of backup power source for other things at your house. That's pretty intriguing as these batteries get better over time.

Reactions: thatsbaseball

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
Just waiting for Adam Smith's Invisible Hand to sort it out.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
It's ON HIS STUPID PAGE, MORON.

You know what, I shouldn't have called you an idiot, so I apologize for that.

But, I do find it strange how people throw the baby out with the bath water over politics.

I think Tucker has some strange ideas. I agree with him on a lot of things and disagree on a lot of things.

But he has a good podcast and interviews a LOT of interesting people. My disagreements with some of his views would never cause me to not watch a podcast or video of his with a guest or on a subject I'm interested in.

So yes, I find your knee jerk very negative reaction to this entertaining video you won't watch solely because Tucker and his very working class friends are in it to be extremely close minded.

You've got plenty of company on both sides of the political spectrum. So there's that...

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login