Greatest MSU one hit wonders

cowbell88

Jan 11, 2009
Kendall Watkins , our 300 lb tight end who caught the game winning TD with 90 seconds left to beat tennessee ... Peyton's first collegiate game... September 24th,1994... be 30 years ago next month... I WAS THERE
I was to. Went back to frat house and a bunch up us climbed up on roof and was singing Rocky Top and ringing the hell out of our bells to the sad sad Tennessee Fans.

Reactions: drexeldog23

drexeldog23

Dec 2, 2022
I was to. Went back to frat house and a bunch up us climbed up on roof and was singing Rocky Top and ringing the hell out of our bells to the sad sad Tennessee Fans.
i lived in Rankin County so we had to leave after the game but i remember us walking by frat row and this one tennessee fan, he was probably around 45, wearing orange and white checkerboard pants and a matching suit jacket with a orange hat. everybody on frat row ,including us, were giving him hell, pointing and laughing and ringing cowbells at him.... i will admit, he took it all in stride... i think he realized how ridiculous he looked...

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Elgin Bailey

Bailey was the one that got kicked off the team. He was the one who started the fight.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Some that come to mind for me:

1) Marcus Grant’s Valentine’s Day massacre over UK in Rupp in 1995. Grant was a pretty decent 3rd / 4th scoring option, but was never as good as he was that night before or since.

2) Luke Alexander’s walk-off double against Washington in the first game of the 2018 CWS.

3) Korey Banks in the 2001 Egg Bowl. Picked off Eli twice.
Grant was no one hit wonder. He had a lot of big games.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
KJ Costello
You won the thread right off the bat. I don't see how any other performance can one-up this one. Transfer, now the single-game passing leader, benched like 2 weeks later, never to be heard from again. Most of our other one-hit types actually started for most of a year.

What will always suck is seeing what that offense could have done with more regular practice in 2020, in normal environment. We were certainly thin in places, but the offense had some seniority on it. I think Costello would have been a good bit better had we had a normal year, with some non-SEC games, and Kylin Hill with his head on straight. Not to mention all those other WRs who ended up off the team (Shavers, the one who went to UT, etc.).

Reactions: Studentdawg06

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
You won the thread right off the bat. I don't see how any other performance can one-up this one. Transfer, now the single-game passing leader, benched like 2 weeks later, never to be heard from again. Most of our other one-hit types actually started for most of a year.

What will always suck is seeing what that offense could have done with more regular practice in 2020, in normal environment. We were certainly thin in places, but the offense had some seniority on it. I think Costello would have been a good bit better had we had a normal year, with some non-SEC games, and Kylin Hill with his head on straight. Not to mention all those other WRs who ended up off the team (Shavers, the one who went to UT, etc.).
Orlando Lundie's was even bigger. It basically the only game he ever even played in. We were 3-6. and had not won an SEC game. It was the only one we won that year. They were 7-1-1, ranked # 9, and headed for a SEC Title in their last SEC game of the year. Lundie took over for the injured Don Smith at QB. It was the only game he ever started. He ran for 115 yards and passed for 157. We won 16-14. I think he was from Louisiana.

Somehow we managed to beat LSU nine of eleven years back then.

Bulldog jinx strikes again - Newspapers.com™

Edited to add: Lundie had 272 yards rushing and 292 yards passing for the entire year. He had less the next year. Those were the only two years he recorded stats. That is the definition of a one hit wonder. I was a student for that first year and was on the sideline for that game. For once WE had the RAT! That was one of the best times I have ever had at an MSU game. This was in 1984.

I honestly didn't remember him playing at all other than that game. I had a class with him once.

Last edited:

kired

Aug 22, 2008
Anthony Johnson 2007 Alabama pic 6
I think he would have turned out to be a decent CB - was only a sophomore. He broke his foot or ankle late in the year, maybe the egg bowl. Then was involved somehow in the gun incident, never to be heard from again.

• Sad
Reactions: Anon1697564126

Studentdawg06

Oct 1, 2023
I think he would have turned out to be a decent CB - was only a sophomore. He broke his foot or ankle late in the year, maybe the egg bowl. Then was involved somehow in the gun incident, never to be heard from again.
Johnson was a good player. He killed his own career.

BoDawg.sixpack

Feb 5, 2010

He tweaked his throwing arm in that game. His velocity in subsequent games wasn't as good. Might be the greatest example of a RAT ever, and it was in our favor. Incredible.

Reactions: CochiseCowbell

Mobile Bay

Jul 26, 2020

I was never prouder of our team than that night we went into Athens with half a roster and gave Georgia all they could handle.

MSUDOG24

Mar 31, 2021
He tweaked his throwing arm in that game. His velocity in subsequent games wasn't as good. Might be the greatest example of a RAT ever, and it was in our favor. Incredible.
Was going to say, could have been titled who have been some of OUR RAT's. Got the first 2 but remind me again of what the T is?
Fun thread.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Don't know if it counts as a one-hit wonder, or just a debut that set the bar really high. But I was at the 1988 Georgia game where backup freshman QB Tony Shell threw for 4 touchdowns in a loss.
42-35! I was there too. First games I remember attending as a kid were a few in 1987 (Memphis 9-6, USM 14-18, and Ole Miss 30-20), then that Georgia game in 1988. I remember Bama too, 34-53 and then the Southern Miss beating and the tornado warning at the Egg Bowl beatdown later that year.

I know so many of those games were in Jackson, but I can't remember distinguishing the Vet and Scott Field back then. I do vaguely remember walking to the Vet in 1988 for the USM and Ole Miss games.

RockyDog

Jan 2, 2023
Kendall Watkins , our 300 lb tight end who caught the game winning TD with 90 seconds left to beat tennessee ... Peyton's first collegiate game... September 24th,1994... be 30 years ago next month... I WAS THERE
Seems a little unfair to call a 2nd round draft pick a one hit wonder. He just happened to play TE at a school that didn’t believe in the passing game for its first 9 or so decades of football. Dude was a big time bonus o-lineman

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
Definitely not a true one-hit-wonder and actually one of my all time favorite Bulldogs but Dave Marler kinda caught "lightning in a bottle" in his one year as our QB. That was a fun year......up until the OM game.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
I think Damian Williams had his moments, but none bigger than the OT touchdown run against Arkansas in 2013. Dak was out with an injury and Tyler Russell left late in the 4th quarter. Damian came in and had a decent drive to end the 4th, but a couple of penalties pushed us back and Devon Bell missed a 40 something yard field goal. First play of overtime, Damian runs the ball 25 yards for a touchdown. Calhoun interception seals it and we get our first ever win over Arkansas in the state of Arkansas.

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016

Costello must have either hurt his shoulder late in the LSU game or sometime the next week in practice. He didn’t throw another spiral after LSU, even in warmups.

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
Was going to say, could have been titled who have been some of OUR RAT's. Got the first 2 but remind me again of what the T is?
Fun thread.
It's the Random A-hole Theory, because it was only a theory when first discovered, but it's been proven so many times now that it's probably a misnomer at this point.

Probably should be called the Random A-hole Truth now.

Last edited:
Reactions: MSUDOG24
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login