Gregg Berhalter reportedly returning as USMNT coach

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
Seems like the USSF wasted six months of everyone’s time just to hire the same guy who already had the job. A big 17 you to Mr. and Mrs. Reyna though.

FQDawg

May 1, 2006
Seems like the USSF wasted six months of everyone’s time just to hire the same guy who already had the job. A big 17 you to Mr. and Mrs. Reyna though.
It’s quite possibly the most uninspiring hire imaginable. Wasted six months of everyone’s time is the perfect way to put it.

I look forward to bland, unimaginative soccer and an absolutely needless struggle to qualify for the 2024 World Cup.

Reactions: Irondawg

patdog

May 28, 2007
It’s quite possibly the most uninspiring hire imaginable. Wasted six months of everyone’s time is the perfect way to put it.

I look forward to bland, unimaginative soccer and an absolutely needless struggle to qualify for the 2024 World Cup.
More like wasted another 4 years of everyone’s time. Just when I think US Soccer federation can’t get any more disfunctional, they prove me wrong again.

Reactions: FQDawg

Irondawg

Dec 2, 2007
Problem is I didn’t really love anyone else that was rumored for the job either.

I guess the players must like him a lot as I can’t see this happening without them going to bat for him.

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
One of the analysts on the Paramount Plus broadcast of last night’s game made an interesting point. He said due to the women’s team equal pay thing, the USSF can’t fork out millions and millions of dollars to hire a top level men’s coach without giving the women’s coach the same or similar money. I don’t know if that’s a contractual thing or if he just meant the optics would look bad, but if that is the case, it makes sense to stick with Berhalter since I’m sure he is a much cheaper option than some others out there.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
One of the analysts on the Paramount Plus broadcast of last night’s game made an interesting point. He said due to the women’s team equal pay thing, the USSF can’t fork out millions and millions of dollars to hire a top level men’s coach without giving the women’s coach the same or similar money. I don’t know if that’s a contractual thing or if he just meant the optics would look bad, but if that is the case, it makes sense to stick with Berhalter since I’m sure he is a much cheaper option than some others out there.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
We had the Donovan/Klinsmann controversy, the 1998 team has one player banging another's wife, but the Reynas brought the awful little league parents, southern cheerleader parents b.s. to the table and likely delayed the hiring. The players like Berhalter and he's got a good record. The play is often uninspiring, unlike last night under some interim dude I never heard of. At least we're already qualified. I've also heard about the equity issue. Not sure if that's true but it's certainly possible given today's emphasis on a type of equity that deemphasizes merit and achievement and traditional markers of excellence (World Cup ratings and cash for one).

ChinaDogSunflower

Aug 26, 2012
That was Charlie Davies. His career was just starting to blossom when a horrific car wreck in 2009 changed his trajectory.

IMO not such a hot take (unless contractual as you mentioned). After a very awkward 1 second Maurice Edu came in quick with the smooth pivot lol

UpTheMiddlex3Punt

May 28, 2007

Even Brazil is going to have a hard time qualifying for the 2024 World Cup.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login