Guess who is in the top 25 in RPI

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
We are not winning 10 more SEC games. We will be doing well to win 6 and that should include 2 of them this weekend.

GAME OVER, fellas.

Reactions: patdog

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Based on quality of opponent, VMI and ULM are our only bad losses. 9-12 against Q1 and Q2 isn’t terrible. I think the blowout and run rule losses are what have skewed things so badly, and understandably so. We had a four game stretch in the Kentucky and Vandy series where we lost by a combined margin of 73-14. If all of those games are close losses instead then the perception is that we’re close, just not quite where we need to be yet.

It will all come down to how many conference games we win. And our schedule after this weekend is stout.
It will come down to pitching.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Every year the sec has a strong rpi. This isn’t anything new.

when some of these bottom teams start playing each other you’ll see rpis drop

10 isn’t impossible. The only way we get 10 is if a team like Tennessee faulters down the stretch and ends up with a bad conference record But 9 is the number. 11 and 12 are totally out of the question.

again the bet is open to anyone willing to take. 10, 11, or 12
10 sec wins total?

I’ll take that bet. Already offered it once.

eta: nevermind, you meant 10 sec teams in the tourney.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
and what you are failing to realize in all those numbers… that when these teams start Beating on each other and losses start to pile up for certain teams their RPIs are going to drop. I mean didnt UTs drop from inside the top 10 to outside the top 20 with the losses to MizZou.

That might actually make sense if every other major conference didn’t also have teams beating up on each other. As it stands, our RPI has done nothing but gone up since SEC play began, and we’re 3-9 in the league. Being by far the strongest conference in baseball, by multiple orders of magnitude, pays huge dividends as it relates to 75% of the RPI calculation (SOS and opponent SOS).

We are competing against all those teams for the final 2-3 spots the sec will get. Our conference will get 9 teams in the tournament, outside chance of 10. The RPI and all that jazz wont trump our conference record at the end of the day.

The 9 with outside shot of 10 is premature at best. Tell me how many SEC teams inside the RPI Top 20 with a record over .500 have been left out? Could be us that gets last spot. Could be Mizzou, Auburn, who knows.

A team with an RPI of 30, and goes 16-16 (season and tournament) and takes 2 of 3 from said team…will trump us who as a SOS of 3, RPI of 25, and goes 13-18 in conference. Again I’ll wager as much as you want on this. It’s just never happened and wont happen this year just because Mississippi State wants it to.

Except it has happened. 12-17 Bama got in. 13 win LSU got in. Hell, back in 2011 or so, UGA was freaking 1 game over .500 overall (31-30), only 16-14 SEC, and got a bid from how high their RPI was. Again, a 30-loss SEC team got an at-large bid based almost solely on how high their RPI was.

Lettuce

Oct 16, 2012
To credit someone else's gif here a few weeks ago...

Morgan Freeman Quote GIF

And to add one more

the lord of the rings pippin GIF

Aww what the hell one more to close it out

morgan freeman GIF
Animated GIF

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
That might actually make sense if every other major conference didn’t also have teams beating up on each other. As it stands, our RPI has done nothing but gone up since SEC play began, and we’re 3-9 in the league. Being by far the strongest conference in baseball, by multiple orders of magnitude, pays huge dividends as it relates to 75% of the RPI calculation (SOS and opponent SOS).

The 9 with outside shot of 10 is premature at best. Tell me how many SEC teams inside the RPI Top 20 with a record over .500 have been left out? Could be us that gets last spot. Could be Mizzou, Auburn, who knows.

Except it has happened. 12-17 Bama got in. 13 win LSU got in. Hell, back in 2011 or so, UGA was freaking 1 game over .500 overall (31-30), only 16-14 SEC, and got a bid from how high their RPI was. Again, a 30-loss SEC team got an at-large bid based almost solely on how high their RPI was.

Last season I think the SEC had like 8 teams with a SOS in the top 10 i think.

What you are failing to get and realize is this isnt some banner season for the SEC. The SEC is always strong. This is good sec season but its nothing unexpected or nothing that hasnt happened before. And even with this strong season from the SEC the most the confernece has ever gotten was 10 teams.

I didnt say it never has happened, i said i think it happened one time. Which its happened twice. That year your speaking of. LSU was seeded 9th in the tournament, Alabama 10th. UGA was 8. The SEC was a 9 bid league. Those 3 teams were all bubble teams fighting for the last 1-2 spots. Alabama won 2 games in the tournament and LSU was a 38 win team. They got in. The 30 loss UGA didnt get in SOLEY on RPI, they got in b/c they went 16-14 in the toughest conference in baseball.

Again VERY simply. We are competing with other teams in our leagues for the final spots. RPI doesnt matter. All of us will have similar RPIs at the end of the year b/c we are all playing the same teams (for the most part). Unless we are within a game of another possible bubble team the RPI just isnt going to matter. This has been shown over and over and over again in the past and will be the case again this year. We are a 9 team league, with the possibility of 10. No way we get 11 or 12. Again this has been shown again and again and again. Its not going to change this year because mississippi state fans want it to or because we think what the committee has shown is just going to up and change one morning

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
also that yese Alabama won 2 games in the tournament including a win over the 6th best team in the country.

so after the tourney their conference records were
Alabama 14-19
Uga 14-19
LsU 13-18

the committee went with LsU who won 38 games opposed to the 31 Georgia won and lsus rpi was over 20 points higher for the final spot.

It’s certainly a combination of factors, and you’re definitely not completely safe at 13 SEC wins, you would for sure need to do some damage in Hoover to feel any level of comfort. But 13 wins is usually the threshold for “you might get in”, there have been some rare cases where 12 was enough, the ‘21 Bama team you mentioned and us in ‘06 come to mind. But 13, plus win(s) in Hoover, should be the target for most of these teams on the periphery.

Every team in the SEC still has a path to get in. Some paths are more realistic than others, and not everybody will get in, but so far there’s not an absolute bottom feeder with horrible metrics that’s already played themselves out. Ole Miss is in worse shape than anybody right now, but their RPI is only 60 and they have a manageable schedule to finish the year. There’s nobody down in the 100’s like we were last year, not yet at least.

Reactions: Perd Hapley

patdog

May 28, 2007
It’s certainly a combination of factors, and you’re definitely not completely safe at 13 SEC wins, you would for sure need to do some damage in Hoover to feel any level of comfort. But 13 wins is usually the threshold for “you might get in”, there have been some rare cases where 12 was enough, the ‘21 Bama team you mentioned and us in ‘06 come to mind. But 13, plus win(s) in Hoover, should be the target for most of these teams on the periphery.

Every team in the SEC still has a path to get in. Some paths are more realistic than others, and not everybody will get in, but so far there’s not an absolute bottom feeder with horrible metrics that’s already played themselves out. Ole Miss is in worse shape than anybody right now, but their RPI is only 60 and they have a manageable schedule to finish the year. There’s nobody down in the 100’s like we were last year, not yet at least.
Historically, 14 SEC wins is almost (but not quite) a guaranteed bid. 13 is about a 50/50 chance. And 12 is a remote chance, but possible. I doubt this year will be much different.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Thing about it is.. all these what if.. this weekend is a big weekend that will seperate a lot of these teams.

Us/OM-- a sweep either basically eliminates one
Auburn/Bama- same situation
Georgia/Tenn-- georgia could be out with a bad weekend here
TxAm/Mizzou-- same situation

a bunch of splits wont solve much, but after this weekend we'll have a much clearer picture on which one/two of these middle tier schools have a leg up moving forward.

if any of the above teams sweep, with the exception of possibly ole miss, they'd have to be the leader for one of those last spots.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
We're not going to get close to 13 SEC wins unless we are completely dominant in the series vs our weaker siblings. Probably have to find two sweeps somewhere to get there because I think it's very likely we get swept at least once more.

It needs to start with 3 wins this weekend. I think it is absolutely necessary to get this thing fully turned around.

Reactions: Perd Hapley
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login