Half way through another season & some folks are "hoping" for 6 wins

Piscis

Aug 31, 2024
In year 4 a team is the coach's team and what you see is pretty much what you are going to have going forward. No successful coach in the current era of college football has magically become great after 4 mediocre seasons. If 6 wins is what the fans demand to be satisfied, I think Beamer may be the man for the South Carolina job. He may not hit that magic number this season but I think he will most seasons.

The Reel Ess

Joined Feb 3, 2005
Jan 31, 2022
I think ALL folks are hoping for that at this point. Looking at the schedule you knew we'd have to upset a couple to get to 6-7 wins. I didn't think it was going to be UK. Opportunities were squandered against LSU and Bama. The opportunities are slipping away.

The Reel Ess

Joined Feb 3, 2005
Jan 31, 2022
In year 4 a team is the coach's team and what you see is pretty much what you are going to have going forward. No successful coach in the current era of college football has magically become great after 4 mediocre seasons. If 6 wins is what the fans demand to be satisfied, I think Beamer may be the man for the South Carolina job. He may not hit that magic number this season but I think he will most seasons.
6-8 wins a season with the occasional 9-10 will probably keep your job as long as you can walk.

Last edited:

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
Yeah, I exaggerated. But there's a grain of truth in it.
Spurrier, overall, was not a 9-10 win coach. 6 of his 10 full seasons here, he was a 6-8 win guy. So you weren't far off, I don't think. If we ever had a coach who could consistently win 9-10 games for a prolonged period, he would be considered coaching deity.

Reactions: The Reel Ess

The Reel Ess

Joined Feb 3, 2005
Jan 31, 2022
Spurrier, overall, was not a 9-10 win coach. 6 of his 10 full seasons here, he was a 6-8 win guy. So you weren't far off, I don't think. If we ever had a coach who could consistently win 9-10 games for a prolonged period, he would be considered coaching deity.
And, given the conference we play in, a consistently winning coach should be considered a success. I believe the best we can ask for is a guy who is a perennial winner and makes a an occasional run at the conference championship. Apparently, I'm asking too much.

Reactions: will110

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
And, given the conference we play in, a consistently winning coach should be considered a success. I believe the best we can ask for is a guy who is a perennial winner and makes a an occasional run at the conference championship. Apparently, I'm asking too much.

occasional runs at conference titles??? slow your roll there, pal!

Lurker123

Jan 18, 2022

I think we should be a bowl eligible team at a minimum.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
I think we should be a bowl eligible team at a minimum.

That should be absolute baseline. Considering that many years we have 3-4 cream puff wins on the slate (including Vandy even though they aren't a cream puff this year), all we're asking is for the team to 3-6 or 2-6 in our other 8-9 games.

That's not a particularly big ask. Making bowl games has to stopped being looked as an accomplishment and start being considered a required minimum. A foregone conclusion. In the current bowl system, > 60% of all teams go to a bowl. Entering the season, teams actually have a greater statistical chance of making a bowl than not making a bowl. Being in the top 60% is NOT a very strenuous demand.

With how much college football has evolved, I don't know why so many people still look at the 6-win mark as an accomplishment. Well, actually, I do. The same reason some folks would celebrate making the NIT. Or how some teams will celebrate being a playoff team as the #12 seed.

Latest posts

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login