Halftime Show

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
it's called having taste. Absolutely nothing performed took any kind of talent at all. Rhyming isn't a talent. Grabbing your nutts isn't a talent. Flopping on the ground like a fat fish isn't a talent. Unlike yourself, some people appreciate actual talent
As simple as it is the Still DRE intro is iconic. Just like Satisfaction, Sweet Child of Mine, and Smells Like Teen Spirit.

harrybollocks

Oct 11, 2012
FYI, I don't feel attacked

Just observations and sarcasm, blended.

I dont outright disagree with your ramble on cancel culture and feeling attacked. Yeah my comment took one major part of your post and focused only on that. Its because I laughed at that part so I decided to focus on it.

Summary-
You like that a couple of rappers can say and do whatever they want because white men no longer can do that without ramifications.

You respect that black America can shut white women up since white men are not able to shut white women up.

I mean come on- how can you read that and not laugh at how terrible it is?

O.K. Fair enough. Yup. I suppose I do. They have freedom to do so because, well, some white people, and America, were pretty awful to Black Americans. I also like it when scoldy, irritating progressive white Karens are told to shut up.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
it's called having taste. Absolutely nothing performed took any kind of talent at all. Rhyming isn't a talent. Grabbing your nutts isn't a talent. Flopping on the ground like a fat fish isn't a talent. Unlike yourself, some people appreciate actual talent

^Thought Super Bowl halftime shows peaked with George Burns and Mickey Rooney at Super Bowl XXI.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Nah they have talent. However I don't think a lot of rap and hip hop ages well. It's got a rebellious tone obviously, and good for the moment. I mean Dre and Snoop are actually considered 'good' guys in this day and age. How can they lead gangsta rap? NWA days are long gone. Snoop's over here doing roasts and chilling with Martha Stewart.

I mean I'd say the same if Rage or Linkin Park (RIP Chester) did the halftime show. Just doesn't play well when you're old and have lost your outlaw schtick.

dog12

Sep 15, 2016
Probably not the best but not the worst either. Too many artists. Could have done without Lamar, 50, and Blige.

From an entertainment factor I mean shakira and j lo shaking their *** in 2020 was more entertaining. This one was more nostalgic. Last year was bad. Prince was greatness

[RANT]Okay. I've learned not to come here and **** on the topic being discussed, because we all have different likes/dislikes, experiences, preferences, opinions, etc.

However . . . I'll make an exception for this.

In my opinion, ALL football halftime shows are purely stupid. I'm talking 'bout junior high football, high school football, junior college football, college football and pro football. Get all of that **** out of here.

Okay. I'm done.[/RANT]

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
I'm a boomer and I think it's actually called "having a preference" and it's a wonderful freedom to have. I preferred not to watch because I don't care for their music...so I didn't. No harm...no foul.

dog12

Sep 15, 2016

MrKotter, sir . . . you . . . are absolutely relentless. You have strong opinions, and you're not afraid to share them with others.

I can respect that.

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
Nah they have talent. However I don't think a lot of rap and hip hop ages well. It's got a rebellious tone obviously, and good for the moment. I mean Dre and Snoop are actually considered 'good' guys in this day and age. How can they lead gangsta rap? NWA days are long gone. Snoop's over here doing roasts and chilling with Martha Stewart.

I mean I'd say the same if Rage or Linkin Park (RIP Chester) did the halftime show. Just doesn't play well when you're old and have lost your outlaw schtick.

Well said. We could list bands ad nasuem here that don't age well -- it's good for nostalgia but let's be honest: we all got older and wiser

By way of example, I'm a huge fan of Sprinsgteen and his SB Bowl show was weak. Mr. "Born To Run" in his 20's now lives within 10 miles of his his hometown in Jersey in his 70s. So much for being a rebel when you join AARP

harrybollocks

Oct 11, 2012
It's not. I made an accurate generalization about America

When I said 'attacked', I was referring to this comment from you-

I figured 'attacked' is an accurate synonym for receiving backlash and cancellation.

You personalized it and made it about me. Rogan and others got attacked. I haven't been.

BossDawg78

Jan 25, 2015
It's almost like musical taste is a preference and not an immutable law...

To be fair, noise like that witnessed in the halftime show isn't "music." It's just a bunch of people who have never seen instruments mumbling into a microphone.

**derp derp frustrated boomer! Derp derp**

1msucub

Oct 3, 2004

"Gettin funky on the mic like a old batch of collard greens" is literary GOLD.

kired

Aug 22, 2008
Snoop's over here doing roasts and chilling with convicted felon, Martha Stewart.

FIFY - she's done more hard time than most rappers

Seriously though, I've always said California Love is a timeless classic. I think it could have been released any year in the last 4 decades and it would have been a hit. Same with Lose Yourself

Connor Mead

Mar 4, 2014
I thought it was the best one since Prince. The Prince halftime show was a little better, but this one was really good (but I like Snoop and Dre).

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
It's not. I made an accurate generalization about America. You personalized it and made it about me. Rogan and others got attacked. I haven't been.

Again, I havent said you were attacked. I clarified what I meant by 'attacked' and you still think its directed at you.

BulldogBillyCrash

Oct 31, 2019

Well let’s see you become a multi platinum, billionaire producer since it requires minimal talent

harrybollocks

Oct 11, 2012
I don't listen to rap but I did a little in college, including a little of the gangsta stuff. A Tribe Called Quest was musical and interesting and not gangsta at all. Hip Hop is just not for me, although I respect some of it, and I'm not in the "get off my lawn" stage in life (I will be one day). Rap, or Hip Hop, is a major musical art form. Black Americans, moreso than any other group, have created and contributed to so many musical art forms popular around the planet and music I enjoy listening too (blues, rock and roll in particular). I don't think any other group of people anywhere come close to creating so much music that's enjoyed by people everywhere. I spent a fair amount of time in Europe and I'd hate it if I had to listen just to that sh*tty Europe Dance Music all the time. The NFL is 70% black, rap is popular with players and fans, Snoop and Dre have toned down a bit and settled into old age, and the NFL is pushing some social justice stuff. I suspect a lot of the complaints come from republicans, many of whom have been told repeatedly, and believed it, that big business is your friend. It never was and certainly isn't today. The NFL is a big business with an agenda. Better accept it or watch something else on Sunday. Better get used to Silicon Valley and it's agenda. The old, established businesses that once supported Republicans exclusively don't have the same appeal to young Americans like the new, even bigger businesses including financial institutions on Wall Street. Even the US military is getting woke. We foreign policy elites who want to go to war with Russia cause they don't support gay rights and haven't embraced diversity. We had women's studies grads in Afghanistan teaching those pretty backwards and religiously conservative, people to be inclusive and accepting of all genders.

Last edited:

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
My point stands, if that show doesn't give you joy and remind you of grindin on some chick in the 90's early 2000's at a club, high school dance, or party... Well you weren't there.

If you were to old to be there. Cool. If not, you just outed yourself as being a hater cause the rest of us were rubbing a hole in our jeans on your wife or daughters ***...

Haha one of your best post ever. I couldn’t agree more. I was pretty young when most of dre and snoop popular stuff was out. But I still like it a lot. However, Eminem and 50 cent were probably their most popular during my late high school and college. I did see the snoop show at ricks in 2008 (my senior year at State).

I did joke with some friends that hearing stuff off the chronic 2001 reminded me of days when we made a friends Tahoe look like Jeff Spicoli climbing out of the van on fast times at ridgemont high.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
To be fair, noise like that witnessed in the halftime show isn't "music." It's just a bunch of people who have never seen instruments mumbling into a microphone.

**derp derp frustrated boomer! Derp derp**

^Wrote a letter to the editor in 1969 complaining Florida A&M’s marching band’s funky moves weren’t really “marching”.

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
Almost all music genres have a "Best By:" date. I get that and this latest show definitely had a certain audience for it. MOST Superbowl half time shows have been to the nostalgic side as this one was. So to argue over peoples personal likes is kinda silly. It does remind me of the last concert I went to before the COVID.

I went to see Joe Walsh. He actually was very good in that he still sang in key and plays the guitar very well (At that time). Skunk Baxter was also one of his band mates. However I really couldn't enjoy it because the audience was SO OLD! All that gray hair and canes was just so depressing. That is what SB Halftime shows are to me. If they don't cover your nostalgia, they are not worth watching.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
I don't listen to rap but I did a little in college, including a little of the gangsta stuff. A Tribe Called Quest was musical and interesting and not gangsta at all. Hip Hop is just not for me, although I respect some of it, and I'm not in the "get off my lawn" stage in life (I will be one day). Rap, or Hip Hop, is a major musical art form. Black Americans, moreso than any other group, have created and contributed to so many musical art forms popular around the planet and music I enjoy listening too (blues, rock and roll in particular). I don't think any other group of people anywhere come close to creating so much music that's enjoyed by people everywhere. I spent a fair amount of time in Europe and I'd hate it if I had to listen just to that sh*tty Europe Dance Music all the time. The NFL is 70% black, rap is popular with players and fans, Snoop and Dre have toned down a bit and settled into old age, and the NFL is pushing some social justice stuff. I suspect a lot of the complaints come from republicans, many of whom have been told repeatedly, and believed it, that big business is your friend. It never was and certainly isn't today. The NFL is a big business with an agenda. Better accept it or watch something else on Sunday. Better get used to Silicon Valley and it's agenda. The old, established businesses that once supported Republicans exclusively don't have the same appeal to young Americans like the new, even bigger businesses including financial institutions on Wall Street. Even the US military is getting woke. We foreign policy elites who want to go to war with Russia cause they don't support gay rights and haven't embraced diversity. We had women's studies grads in Afghanistan teaching those pretty backwards and religiously conservative, people to be inclusive and accepting of all genders.

We can't bust heads like we used to. But we have our ways. One trick is to tell stories that don't go anywhere. Like the time I caught the ferry to Shelbyville. I needed a new heel for my shoe. So I decided to go to Morganville, which is what they called Shelbyville in those days. So I tied an onion to my belt, which was the style at the time. Now, to take the ferry cost a nickel, and in those days, nickels had pictures of bumblebees on 'em. "Gimme five bees for a quarter," you'd say. Now where were we... oh yeah. The important thing was that I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn't have any white onions, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
Nope, MrKotter felt their rendition of “Itsy Bitsy Teeny Weeny Yellow Polka Dot Bikini” promoted public lewdness and, thus, sexual anarchy, so they’re out too.

We used to be a country. A proper country.

BossDawg78

Jan 25, 2015
^Wrote a letter to the editor in 1969 complaining Florida A&M’s marching band’s funky moves weren’t really “marching”.

Were you complaining or just telling the unfortunate truth? Good for you regardless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login