Happy Total Eclipse Day

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
We are waiting for it. We are in the thin area that has 100% totality. We are supposed to have close to four minutes of total coverage.

Reactions: travis.sixpack

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
Nothing. Burger.

The exact two words I had in mind.

Even at 90%, still very bright even with cloud cover.

I've seen totality once. It's cool, but much less so to me than most.

But this is really just something for our overabundance of media to focus on until they get interested in focusing on the negative **** again. I guess that's better than the alternative...

Reactions: bully 16

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
Guess I'm a nerd, but I think it's pretty cool. Particularly the fact the sun doesn't sting your retina when you walk outside. I'm still trying to beat Donnie's staring record.

Reactions: patdog

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
The exact two words I had in mind.

Even at 90%, still very bright even with cloud cover.

I've seen totality once. It's cool, but much less so to me than most.

But this is really just something for our overabundance of media to focus on until they get interested in focusing on the negative **** again. I guess that's better than the alternative...
Be careful, I was chastised on here a few weeks ago for saying I wouldn't be participating. I did turn on NASA TV on for a few minutes at my desk during lunch but had to turn it off very quickly. You would have thought they were watching the 2nd coming or birth of a child of theirs

Reactions: She Mate Me

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
At work the resident MILF (no pics) was excited and well prepared. She handed out eyepro to all. While everyone else was staring into the sky, I was checking out a different moon.

Game Show No GIF by ABC Network

hdogg

Nov 21, 2014
It's about what we got to see here except when the sun was completely covered. I could see it with my eye, went in totality. I could not get my camera to zoom in because I did not have it in a stand, but it was an intense experience.
We went to a friends ranch in liberty hill, just north of you. Sky opened up enough for me to see a solar flare and venus. Pretty lucky.
It wasn't life changing but it was incredibly awesome to see. I'd travel to see again, minus the $$$.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240408_151316_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240408_151316_Gallery.jpg
    914.1 KB · Views: 6

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
Be careful, I was chastised on here a few weeks ago for saying I wouldn't be participating. I did turn on NASA TV on for a few minutes at my desk during lunch but had to turn it off very quickly. You would have thought they were watching the 2nd coming or birth of a child of theirs

It's just a to each their own thing with me. I'm overall fascinated by the universe we live in and read and watch things about space and the planet all the time.

This just seems like another blip in a world that is pretty fascinating all the time, if you look.

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
I drove over to central Arkansas with my daughter to watch. Do not regret and we got lucky with clear skies. You can tell the light is dimming as it approaches totality, but it's surprising how much light is left when you still have but a sliver. 98% is vastly different than the totality experience believe it or not.

As the light faded the birds acted up and flew off to their roosts. Daytime insects quit buzzing and the crickets kicked in. Then darkness and an awesome white ring surrounding the blackest moon. It was dark enough to see Jupiter and Venus flanking both sides and there was a solar flare at about 5 or 6 o clock they you could see with the naked eye. Really really cool experience.

Bulldog from Birth

Jan 23, 2007
Watched this one in Desha, Arkansas today. This was my 2nd after seeing 2017 in Lebanon, TN. Believe it or not, the corona was so remarkably different today. I expected some small differences, but not to this magnitude. Still equally as spectacular. That solar prominence at 6 o’clock today was a BEAST!! So happy to have found clear skies. If you’ve never experienced totality, there are no words. Try to do it once in your life.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
We went to a friends ranch in liberty hill, just north of you. Sky opened up enough for me to see a solar flare and venus. Pretty lucky.
It wasn't life changing but it was incredibly awesome to see. I'd travel to see again, minus the $$$.
That's pretty much the only shot that I got. I still thought it was very cool. Darkness reminded me of a severe storm coming in.

preacher_dawg

Nov 12, 2014
I feel sorry for those that spent a fortune to come to western New York. Completely cloudy skies, but I had fun with my boys while it turned night for about 3 minutes.

Reactions: Darryl Steight

kired

Aug 22, 2008
We ended up in southern Illinois, could not have asked for better weather. Man, it was awesome. When the sun got completely covered and I took off the glasses - wow, totally speechless.

So freaking cool. One of those things I immediately wish I could experience again - and hopefully I do when it comes thru Starkville in 2045, lol. But so thankful I got to see this one with my wife & kids.

bolddogge

Aug 23, 2012
I've watched a few eclipses over the years, some over 90%, and I wasn't expecting much. But I drove a 4 hr round trip to Sikeston, MO for 4 minutes of totality and I'd do it again today. In addition to the eclipse, the look of a 360-degree sunset was awesome. I took photos with a filter on my phone and looked at it with the glasses until totality when the camera went black and my eyes with the glasses went black. Removed the filter & glasses and took this photo. Then with just one tiny spec out of totality, the camera went white and you can't look at it without the glasses again. The sun's power is amazing. 1712681311063.png

Aug 22, 2012
We made a weekend trip to Dallas out of it with our kids. So worth it!

Went to a big event at the Perot Natural Science Museum. The museum was open and they had astronomers in town from Carnegie Science. Lots of activities outside for the kids, live music, food trucks, etc.

We were worried about the cloud cover that morning but it cleared up by noon and we had perfect viewing conditions. Great memory for us and the kids!

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login