Happy Total Eclipse Day

MagicDawg

Nov 11, 2010
We ended up in southern Illinois
We were in Carbondale, IL. Rented a cottage in a state park in KY to be within driving distance on the day. Over 4 minutes of totality and it was great. My son and I saw the 2017 eclipse from my brother's front yard in NC and we started planning this trip then.

I agree with many that it's not unusual for us to know that an eclipse is visible from the earth, but it is relatively rare for it to be a total eclipse AND someplace you can actually go and experience it in person. It's mathematically very satisfying that the sun and our moon span the same half-degree in our sky, making these kinds of eclipses -- where you can see the star's corona -- rather uncommon in the universe.
Plus, it was a nice excuse for a road trip with people I love.

Photo with my cell phone. Best I could do.

1712787460420.png

Motodawg

Apr 19, 2018
Caught the 2017 one in Nashville and drove to Jonesboro for this one. I never plan on missing one. They are incredible. 10” Dobsonian Telescope with solar filter and you could see sun spots during the lead up. Pretty cool. Pictures dont do it justice. Its easy to see why it freaked out the ancients. One of the most notable things is how much it cools off during totality.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login