Has Mississippi Start had a basketball team in the TBT?

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
I dont remember seeing one so far and this is year 10 for the tournament. With all the guys we have had come thru the Hump over the last 15 years that have had established overseas careers, that is a bit surprising.

For basketball nerds that enjoy known but obscure names, Boeheims Army looks solid, Beale Street Boys has talent but looks just like a actual Memphis team that will do nothing with the talent, and Eberlein Drive again has talent let by MS native Johnny OBryant.
Jackson TN again has a team this year and Jordon Varnado is on it. He is Jarvis' little brother and was a scorer at Troy- racked up 1917 points in 4 seasons. https://thetournament.com/tbt/teams/jackson-underdawgs/

An MSU alum team with a couple random guys from the state or area would be really cool to watch.

Reactions: Anon1669338224

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
It's probably a decent policy to explain what your talking about and not use acronyms when over half the board is unlikely to have a clue what you're talking about.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Interesting. I randomly caught the end of something similar on a smaller scale in soccer a few weeks ago. It was 6 v 6 (or maybe 7 v 7) and the winning team got $1M.
Yes, the same company that runs TBT started TST for soccer.

Sorry for not giving details on what 'TBT' is, I just assumed a bit and wanted to try and keep my post short!
Anyways, its a really cool tournament with a bunch of ex college players/overseas players. Some older, some young, etc.

The best part of it is the ending. TBT was the first venue to use the Elam ending and it has since been implemented into some GLeague games, NBA All Star game, and a handful of other events. It forces both teams to continue play in what would be the final minutes of a game.
Stansbury has to hate it because his Stansbury Stall wouldnt have worked with the Elam ending(not that it usually worked with a clock either).
Instead of a game clock, teams play to a target score, with the shot clock still enforced. The first team to meet or exceed the target score wins, so there is no overtime.[4] The winning score can be a walk-off field goal (two-point or three-point) or a free throw. This format has been compared to how streetball is typically played, as street basketball games are typically played to a target score, e.g. 21 or 15.

Reactions: patdog

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
It's probably a decent policy to explain what your talking about and not use acronyms when over half the board is unlikely to have a clue what you're talking about.
Yeah, I recognized that. I figured TBT was something many know, at least the few basketball nerds that exist on here.
People use abbreviations and acronyms all the time on the board without explanation- its what leads me to constantly click on 'MBB' and 'BB' threads and then roll my eyes when I realize that its a post about college baseball even though 'MBB' is universally accepted as 'Mens Basketball' outside of this board(and perhaps some other SEC site).

^ meant to be read with humor, I am not actually upset or frustrated with anything.

Reactions: She Mate Me

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
Yeah, I recognized that. I figured TBT was something many know, at least the few basketball nerds that exist on here.
People use abbreviations and acronyms all the time on the board without explanation- its what leads me to constantly click on 'MBB' and 'BB' threads and then roll my eyes when I realize that its a post about college baseball even though 'MBB' is universally accepted as 'Mens Basketball' outside of this board(and perhaps some other SEC site).

^ meant to be read with humor, I am not actually upset or frustrated with anything.

I'm actually glad to know about this tourney now, thanks

Reactions: mstateglfr

TXDawg.sixpack

Apr 10, 2009
It looks like the 2023 tournament starts July 19. Is ESPN going to be broadcasting all of the games (possibly on ESPN+)?

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login