Haven't lived in Mississippi in a long time...

LOTRGOTDAWGFAN

May 23, 2022
But still keep up with things. The "journalism " rags in jones County are already pushing chris McDaniel for Lt Gov. What's the feel for McDaniel around the rest of the state?

patdog

May 28, 2007
He has his little group of followers around the state but generally he’s viewed as a sideshow.
I would think so too. But he's saying he's mended fences with Tate and is now supporting Tate. So, if this turns into a power play by Tate to oust Delbert, it might be a close race.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
I would think so too. But he's saying he's mended fences with Tate and is now supporting Tate. So, if this turns into a power play by Tate to oust Delbert, it might be a close race.
Not saying you're wrong but why would Tate do that? Also, it'd be pretty bad politics - I'd guess Delbert might be the most popular statewide elected official right now.

Ozarkdawg

Apr 1, 2017
Not saying you're wrong but why would Tate do that? Also, it'd be pretty bad politics - I'd guess Delbert might be the most popular statewide elected official right now.
Delbert may be but he had some takes on education during the last election that caused me to reconsider some.

Reactions: dorndawg

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Tater's buying support for himself. Why do you think Waller dropped out as popular as he was? Same reason, Tater's got a big war chest and he's spending it to eliminate opposition and feather his nest, he doesn't need a divided party w/ opponents as close as this race appears to be shaping up

patdog

May 28, 2007
I have no idea other than the quote from McDaniel I just saw from a quick Google search. Just seems very strange that McDaniel is now shifting his schtick from being the outsider to at least trying to ally himself with one of the biggest insiders in the state.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
He has some hard core followers, but not a strong enough statewide following. All the stuff that went down in his run against Thad made him look bad.

Delbert is as ingrained as a MS politician gets and fairly well liked, he'll cake walk to victory and be guv in four years.

Delbert, along with many other politicians hate tater tot, but they're gonna play nice with him for the next four years.

Reactions: msu4ever

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
All things equal I'll likely vote for Tater again. He's done ok, but would like to see him stand up a little stronger in some areas. McDaniel is a disrupter, or at least he was once. A lot like Trump. I did vote for him, but not sure now if he's changed into something else. Will have to research him and Delbert a little more than usual.

patdog

May 28, 2007
All things equal I'll likely vote for Tater again. He's done ok, but would like to see him stand up a little stronger in some areas. McDaniel is a disrupter, or at least he was once. A lot like Trump. I did vote for him, but not sure now if he's changed into something else. Will have to research him and Delbert a little more than usual.
I don't think we're going to have any legitimate choice other than to vote for Tate. Lt Gov could be a real tight race, but I can't see myself ever voting for McDaniel.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
He has some hard core followers, but not a strong enough statewide following. All the stuff that went down in his run against Thad made him look bad.

Delbert is as ingrained as a MS politician gets and fairly well liked, he'll cake walk to victory and be guv in four years.

Delbert, along with many other politicians hate tater tot, but they're gonna play nice with him for the next four years.

Y’all usually make good points but I’ve been thinking that both Tater Tot & Delbert would be lame ducks.

Would Delbert (who I like a lot) seriously run for Governor in 2027 when he’d be 80?

I’m already thinking that Chris McDaniel isn’t a serious candidate since he announced his candidacy on January 30.

When he ran against Cochran in 2014, he made his announcement the previous fall.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
Y’all usually make good points but I’ve been thinking that both Tater Tot & Delbert would be lame ducks.

Would Delbert (who I like a lot) seriously run for Governor in 2027 when he’d be 80?

I’m already thinking that Chris McDaniel isn’t a serious candidate since he announced his candidacy on January 30.

When he ran against Cochran in 2014, he made his announcement the previous fall.
McDaniel would take a serious paycut from the grift if he ever farted around and won. Hell he'd probably have a better shot of winning in a primary against tater than Delbert, or for one of the down-ballot races for that matter (other than probably Shad White). In fact I'd guess that's why he chose to run against Delbert - very little chance of actually winning and having to govern.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012

Barring health issues, yes, I 100% think Delbert will run and be elected guv in 2027.

Delbert seems to be in good health, mentally and physically, plus we just elected a full on dementia patient as POTUS.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
McDaniel HAD a lot of support at one time. I don't think so now. Delbert is pretty popular. Tate is unpopular, but the Dems are running someone that really isn't known outside NE Mississippi, and will be an easy target.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012

I think you're right on this. I think Delbert chose a sure thing over chasing his goal of being governor and risking losing. Just don't think he can run and win at that age. Plus a strong Lt. Gov has about as much power in the state as a middling governor, so he wouldn't necessarily have gained anything if he had to empty his war chest to win an election for governor.

As far as McDaniel, it doesn't seem like he's a viable candidate. But I didn't have a negative opinion of him until his runoff with Cochran. So I'm not sure how set other people's opinion of him is. I thought Michael Watson would be hurt by supporting him and being tied to him, but that doesn't seem to have hurt him for long. Maybe if McDaniel can come out and not say crazy things for an election cycle he can come back and be competitive in 4 years?

Mississippi republicans don't really have a strong bench anymore. Michael Watson might be strong? Shad White may do ok. I think there will be a lot of criticism come out about how he operates if he goes for a more high profile job. Lynn Fitch may be strong in an election since she looks the part? But I think a lot of people in the know that are influential will be concerned about her ability to do the job. So there will be some races up for grabs and he's relatively young.

And of course there is always Cindy Hyde Smith's job. Still amazing to me that she is a senator for us.

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

jxndawg

Dec 26, 2009
But still keep up with things. The "journalism " rags in jones County are already pushing chris McDaniel for Lt Gov. What's the feel for McDaniel around the rest of the state?
I think it's increasingly likely that almost upsetting Cochran in '14 will be as close as McDaniel ever comes to holding statewide office. He assembled a decent group of fervent, tea party-type followers, and managed to attract a lot of rank-and-file voters, too, in a year when Cochran completely phoned in his campaign. The way he acted after he lost ran off a lot of the rank-and-file group, and his core group has kind of peeled off, too - I think that's the main reason he lost so bad in '16 (or whatever year it was he ran against CH-S). Plus, it obviously helps to have the party on your side if you want to run statewide, and he didn't burn those bridges, he bombed them.

Reactions: patdog

Boosh

Sep 14, 2017
Repubs might could reach out to Sean Tindell for new blood. He seems well liked in south MS.

SouthFarmchicken

Oct 20, 2016
This Republican feels the same way about him and Trump. Not just no but hell no .
I’m trying to figure out why anyone would ever vote for Trump again. Same question for Biden. It’s like people don’t realize that Trump started what Biden continued that got us into this inflation mess. But, 95% of Americans don’t seem to realize that Dems and Repubs are generally the same. Yes, there are some hot button issues that are used to divide and highlight the gap between the two parties. The reality is that it doesn’t matter who you vote for. We need a strong third party. I don’t care if it’s the lunatic Green Party that emerges strong. We need a different system.

jxndawg

Dec 26, 2009
I think you're right on this. I think Delbert chose a sure thing over chasing his goal of being governor and risking losing. Just don't think he can run and win at that age. Plus a strong Lt. Gov has about as much power in the state as a middling governor, so he wouldn't necessarily have gained anything if he had to empty his war chest to win an election for governor.

As far as McDaniel, it doesn't seem like he's a viable candidate. But I didn't have a negative opinion of him until his runoff with Cochran. So I'm not sure how set other people's opinion of him is. I thought Michael Watson would be hurt by supporting him and being tied to him, but that doesn't seem to have hurt him for long. Maybe if McDaniel can come out and not say crazy things for an election cycle he can come back and be competitive in 4 years?

Mississippi republicans don't really have a strong bench anymore. Michael Watson might be strong? Shad White may do ok. I think there will be a lot of criticism come out about how he operates if he goes for a more high profile job. Lynn Fitch may be strong in an election since she looks the part? But I think a lot of people in the know that are influential will be concerned about her ability to do the job. So there will be some races up for grabs and he's relatively young.

And of course there is always Cindy Hyde Smith's job. Still amazing to me that she is a senator for us.
I always wondered the same thing about CHS. A political operative buddy of mine said that Bryant wanted somebody with statewide name recognition, who had run a statewide campaign (knocking out our House delegation), and who was relatively young-ish (knocking out Delbert). Not giving it to Tate was either because 1) Tate wasn't interested in moving to DC while his kids were still in school, or 2) nobody likes Tate, depending on who you ask. I guess this all makes sense, but I still agree with you that her being there is a lil of a headscratcher.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
I’m trying to figure out why anyone would ever vote for Trump again. Same question for Biden. It’s like people don’t realize that Trump started what Biden continued that got us into this inflation mess. But, 95% of Americans don’t seem to realize that Dems and Repubs are generally the same. Yes, there are some hot button issues that are used to divide and highlight the gap between the two parties. The reality is that it doesn’t matter who you vote for. We need a strong third party. I don’t care if it’s the lunatic Green Party that emerges strong. We need a different system.
I do think that there is a move in the democratic party to sabotage Biden, and have someone else run as the nominee (Gavin Newsom?). Take his latest gaff saying that fast food workers had non compete contracts. He read that from a TelePrompTer, the many folks who wrote and reviewed that speech know better, but stuck that in there to make Biden look even worse.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: dickiedawg

dudehead

Jul 9, 2006
I voted Green Party (I think - it was one of the third party candidates) in the 2016 POTUS race. It didn't do a damn bit of good.

dudehead

Jul 9, 2006
I always wondered the same thing about CHS. A political operative buddy of mine said that Bryant wanted somebody with statewide name recognition, who had run a statewide campaign (knocking out our House delegation), and who was relatively young-ish (knocking out Delbert). Not giving it to Tate was either because 1) Tate wasn't interested in moving to DC while his kids were still in school, or 2) nobody likes Tate, depending on who you ask. I guess this all makes sense, but I still agree with you that her being there is a lil of a headscratcher.
He should've picked Favre; might would've saved them both a lot of grief and legal fees.

Beretta.sixpack

Oct 29, 2009
McDaniel is a huge POS.....I can't get past the Thad Cochran thing with his wife, but also him not understanding the importance of taking down the old flag and creating a new one....that was the financially and morally right thing to do and he made a mockery of the legislature about it.....And it will come out that his biggest donor politically is SCV.....you can be indifferent on all that, but its 2023, and its not a good look for him, or Mississippi if he got elected. I won't be voting for him.

dudehead

Jul 9, 2006
McDaniel is a huge POS.....I can't get past the Thad Cochran thing with his wife, but also him not understanding the importance of taking down the old flag and creating a new one....that was the financially and morally right thing to do and he made a mockery of the legislature about it.....And it will come out that his biggest donor politically is SCV.....you can be indifferent on all that, but its 2023, and its not a good look for him, or Mississippi if he got elected. I won't be voting for him.
Who is SCV?

Reactions: 1reddog

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
I do think that there is a move in the democratic party to sabotage Biden, and have someone else run as the nominee (Gavin Newsom?). Take his latest gaff saying that fast food workers had non compete contracts. He read that from a TelePrompTer, the many folks who wrote and reviewed that speech know better, but stuck that in there to make Biden look even worse.
I sense some wishful thinking on your part perhaps. Fact is, the national Dem coalition is tenuous at best and while Biden has flaws, I don't see anyone else out there to hold it together as well. Gavin Newsome ain't it.

Also, Biden was right about a lot of food industry workers having non-compete clauses. Getting rid of malarkey like this is a good thing if you like free markets.

One in six food and service workers are bound by non-competes, according to a study cited in recent reporting by The Counter. From baristas who can't work for another coffee shop within a certain radius to fine-dining chefs who can't leave to open a restaurant of their own, employees bound by non-competes can find future job prospects limited. In the worst cases, they find themselves trapped in a job knowing they could be making more money https://www.foodandwine.com/news/restaurant-noncompete-clauses-biden-antitrust-executive-order

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
I sense some wishful thinking on your part perhaps. Fact is, the national Dem coalition is tenuous at best and while Biden has flaws, I don't see anyone else out there to hold it together as well. Gavin Newsome ain't it.

Also, Biden was right about a lot of food industry workers having non-compete clauses. Getting rid of malarkey like this is a good thing if you like free markets.

One in six food and service workers are bound by non-competes, according to a study cited in recent reporting by The Counter. From baristas who can't work for another coffee shop within a certain radius to fine-dining chefs who can't leave to open a restaurant of their own, employees bound by non-competes can find future job prospects limited. In the worst cases, they find themselves trapped in a job knowing they could be making more money https://www.foodandwine.com/news/restaurant-noncompete-clauses-biden-antitrust-executive-order

Hoss, you may want to go back listen, he specifically said in the state of the union address, "so a cashier at a burger place can't walk across town and take the same job at another burger place." Linked here:

His statement had nothing to do with baristas, managers or other skilled employees, he clearly meant entry level fast food workers. Please find me the non competes for entry level fast food workers.

His statement above is based on something he said July 2020, "McDonald’s is making billions of dollars, but here’s the deal. They’ve made you all sign noncompete contracts that you cannot go across town to try to get a job at Burger King."

Obviously Biden didn't come up with any of this on his own.

And I think republicans would rather have Biden has the 2024 nominee. I'm completely apolitical, i hate them all, I think one party is just as corrupt and incompetent as the other. They are the same organizations, just with different marketing campaigns.

Last edited:

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
Hoss, you may want to go back listen, he specifically said in the state of the union address, "so a cashier at a burger place can't walk across town and take the same job at another burger place." Linked here:

His statement had nothing to do with baristas, managers or other skilled employees, he clearly meant entry level fast food workers. Please find me the non competes for entry level fast food workers.

In July 2020 he said, "McDonald’s is making billions of dollars, but here’s the deal. They’ve made you all sign noncompete contracts that you cannot go across town to try to get a job at Burger King."

Obviously Biden didn't come up with any of this on his own.

Literally from the article I linked, hoss:

Disputes over non-compete agreements in restaurants from fine dining to fast food have played out publicly.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Literally from the article I linked, hoss:

Disputes over non-compete agreements in restaurants from fine dining to fast food have played out publicly.

Hoss, you're smarter than that. The article listed no names of fast food restaurants that required non competes for entry level workers, nor did list any names of employees effected, nor did it show any non compete contracts. You do not truly believe Taco Bell, McDonals or BK has entry level employees signing non competes.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
This is a slight exaggeration, emphasis on slight. But we literally did re-elect Weekend at Bernie's as our senator in 2014. We desperately need an age limit of about 72 or so to hold office or to be a judge.
Cochran's last campaign was bad. I understand people didn't want to give up his spot on appropriations, but you can't have somebody that is no longer capable of making their own decisions hold political office. We've had at least one Senate staff infiltrated by a Chinese spy. We've probably had lots. Can't have them making votes.

But we've had Wilson, Cochran and now Fetterman and Biden. And there are probably plenty that just weren't high profile enough for non-political junkies to know about.

Reactions: patdog

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Cochran's last campaign was bad. I understand people didn't want to give up his spot on appropriations, but you can't have somebody that is no longer capable of making their own decisions hold political office. We've had at least one Senate staff infiltrated by a Chinese spy. We've probably had lots. Can't have them making votes.

But we've had Wilson, Cochran and now Fetterman and Biden. And there are probably plenty that just weren't high profile enough for non-political junkies to know about.
I think during his last term Jamie Whitten was just as bad.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Hoss, you're smarter than that. The article listed no names of fast food restaurants that required non competes for entry level workers, nor did list any names of employees effected, nor did it show any non compete contracts. You do not truly believe Taco Bell, McDonals or BK has entry level employees signing non competes.
Unless the franchisors prohibit franchisees from doing it, it almost certainly has happened. Just because there are so many franchisees, some of them are going to do things that are unbelievably stupid.

What has happened is having no poaching terms applicable to franchisees. It's not good for franchisors if new franchisees are poaching existing franchisee employees instead of training their own. I'm not sure how to think about that philosophically. I do think franchisees are somewhat "on the same team," just like corporate owned restaurants are. It other franchisees when any franchisee has poor service or quality.

I think the bigger issue is employers using non-competes when a non-solicitation agreement combined with trade secret law gives them all the protection they need. I get that non-competes are black and white and people can try to side step non-solicitation and trade secret by utilizing colleagues. But I just see too many ****** situations, including where people get let go and still can't go get other jobs, to think the tradeoffs are ok.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Unless the franchisors prohibit franchisees from doing it, it almost certainly has happened. Just because there are so many franchisees, some of them are going to do things that are unbelievably stupid.
So out of the millions of fast food workers they couldn't name one employee, restaurant chain, nor get a copy of one of these contracts? Hmmm....

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
That is pretty much the story I was told. He was very concerned about his nominee not winning reelection because it wasn't clear to what extent McDaniel's hissy fit had hurt his reputation. Which I get. It would have been a black eye for bryant and reduced his clout for his appointment to not get reelected. But damn that was a missed opportunity to put somebody strong in that position.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login