Haven't lived in Mississippi in a long time...

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
So out of the millions of fast food workers they couldn't name one employee, restaurant chain, nor get a copy of one of these contracts? Hmmm....
You can probably google as well as any of the rest of us, where there are ample examples. After you get done with that, google "pedantic".

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
So out of the millions of fast food workers they couldn't name one employee, restaurant chain, nor get a copy of one of these contracts? Hmmm....
I'm sure they could have, but most people don't understand franchise agreements and Democrats certainly don't want them too. If people think of a person that owns one McDonald's when democrats talk about regulating fast food restaurants, that would be bad for their agenda. So they don't want to point out that a Jimmy John franchisee with two restaurants was requiring non-competes because he's a moron. They dont' want people to think of Jimmy Johns as anything other than "Jimmy Johns", this big company with tons of restaurants. They're not going to undermine their message by reminding people that lots of franchisees are small business owners that certainly have some illiquid wealth tied up in their restaurant, but are not particularly rich from an income standpoint.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
You can probably google as well as any of the rest of us, where there are ample examples. After you get done with that, google "pedantic".
still waiting on the link with names of fast food entry level workers signing non competes.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
I'm sure they could have, but most people don't understand franchise agreements and Democrats certainly don't want them too. If people think of a person that owns one McDonald's when democrats talk about regulating fast food restaurants, that would be bad for their agenda. So they don't want to point out that a Jimmy John franchisee with two restaurants was requiring non-competes because he's a moron. They dont' want people to think of Jimmy Johns as anything other than "Jimmy Johns", this big company with tons of restaurants. They're not going to undermine their message by reminding people that lots of franchisees are small business owners that certainly have some illiquid wealth tied up in their restaurant, but are not particularly rich from an income standpoint.
in other words, there are none? Just me one name of a fast food worker in 2023 signing one.

Hd Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
in other words, there are none? Just me one name of a fast food worker in 2023 signing one.

Hd Reaction GIF by MOODMAN
Holy ****. Did you really think this is going to be hard? Or are you going to hang your hat on not knowing the individual anmes of the employees?

Here is a statement from Jimmy Johns:

"Jimmy John’s in a statement said it took steps to rescind non-compete agreements even before Madigan’s office first contacted the company last year. The attorney general had no evidence that Jimmy John’s ever enforced a non-compete agreement against an hourly worker, the company said.

In other words, yes, they were requiring hourly employees to sign non-compete agreements but claim they never enforced them against hourly employees.

But of course these are the non-competes that aren't really that harmful, because it's not a big problem for a low wage worker to be prohibited from working at a sandwich shop when they can work at other restaurants and it's not like it's going to be easy for employers to even figure out where the employee goes in most of those instances. But there are situations where they're harmful and they don't protect any legitimate interest of the employer, they just exist to make it hard for employees to leave.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Holy ****. Did you really think this is going to be hard? Or are you going to hang your hat on not knowing the individual anmes of the employees?

Here is a statement from Jimmy Johns:

"Jimmy John’s in a statement said it took steps to rescind non-compete agreements even before Madigan’s office first contacted the company last year. The attorney general had no evidence that Jimmy John’s ever enforced a non-compete agreement against an hourly worker, the company said.

In other words, yes, they were requiring hourly employees to sign non-compete agreements but claim they never enforced them against hourly employees.

But of course these are the non-competes that aren't really that harmful, because it's not a big problem for a low wage worker to be prohibited from working at a sandwich shop when they can work at other restaurants and it's not like it's going to be easy for employers to even figure out where the employee goes in most of those instances. But there are situations where they're harmful and they don't protect any legitimate interest of the employer, they just exist to make it hard for employees to leave.

Hoss, do you want to check the date on that? Let me clue you in, it was published when Obama was still president. Biden made his comments during the 2023 State of the Union Address.

Come one man do a little research, you're making us all dumber.

Feb 4, 2015
My brother in law serves detail for Hoseman and he likes him. He was detail for Tate but wasn’t crazy about him. He pretty much said Hoseman wouldn’t run for governor.

Called3rdstrikedawg

May 7, 2016
I think our Cowboy AG Commissioner May run for Governor. Seeing as he is also a Preacher and a very intelligent man, could be a fun Republican race twixt him and McDaniel.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
I think our Cowboy AG Commissioner May run for Governor. Seeing as he is also a Preacher and a very intelligent man, could be a fun Republican race twixt him and McDaniel.
He seems like a good guy, I think he'd do well down the road in the guv or lt guv race. He needs to ditch the goofy cowboy hat though.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
He seems like a good guy, I think he'd do well down the road in the guv or lt guv race. He needs to ditch the goofy cowboy hat though.
He might be naturally goofy.

And if he is indeed related to me like I kind of suspect, then he is.

(I’m not a Gipson but I’m related to some distantly)

dudehead

Jul 9, 2006
Cochran's last campaign was bad. I understand people didn't want to give up his spot on appropriations, but you can't have somebody that is no longer capable of making their own decisions hold political office. We've had at least one Senate staff infiltrated by a Chinese spy. We've probably had lots. Can't have them making votes.

But we've had Wilson, Cochran and now Fetterman and Biden. And there are probably plenty that just weren't high profile enough for non-political junkies to know about.
That has been going on (old men staying too damn long) since I was there in the late 70s. It ain’t a new thing.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
That has been going on (old men staying too damn long) since I was there in the late 70s. It ain’t a new thing.
Obviously it’s not a new thing as Wilson was in the early 1900s, but it’s still bad.

I am curious as to how often people campaigned with seriously diminished capacity versus finished out terms after losing their faculties. You’d think it would have been easier to prop up a quasi vegetable through a campaign prior to widespread video. But that doesn’t necessarily mean it was more common then.

drummerdawg

Mar 14, 2013
He has some hard core followers, but not a strong enough statewide following. All the stuff that went down in his run against Thad made him look bad.

Delbert is as ingrained as a MS politician gets and fairly well liked, he'll cake walk to victory and be guv in four years.

Delbert, along with many other politicians hate tater tot, but they're gonna play nice with him for the next four years.
The McDaniel camp has been working hard setting up his bid for Lt Gov. for a while now. McDaniel is getting a big push from the grassroots groups in MS and their influence is growing. He's going to appeal to MAGA voters and portray Delbert as a RINO. I still expect Delbert to win this race. I don't expect Delbert to be governor in a few years, though.

blacklistedbully

Apr 9, 2010
He has his little group of followers around the state but generally he’s viewed as a sideshow.
Sometimes I wonder if our state would be better off if some natives who had left home long ago for other states would come back and just take over, wanting only for the state to succeed. Seems we just keep electing a punch of amateurs and/or corrupt politicians who keep holding us back.

No other reason for our state to come in last or next-to-last in so many measurables for so long. In particular I see Bennie Thompson's participation in the J6 committee and am embarrassed we elected such a POS. To me, he just doesn't seem to come remotely close to representing what most Mississippians think. I see him and always think, "what a useful idiot" he has become for Nancy Pelosi & the Dems. A pawn, whether intentional for his own personal ambition or because he is corrupt like the rest of them.

Honestly, I can't say I've been impressed with any of the Republicans either. Have won control most every year and don't seem to do much more than line their own pockets. or accumulate political power for themselves.

dickiedawg

Feb 22, 2008
In particular I see Bennie Thompson's participation in the J6 committee and am embarrassed we elected such a POS. To me, he just doesn't seem to come remotely close to representing what most Mississippians think. I see him and always think, "what a useful idiot" he has become for Nancy Pelosi & the Dems. A pawn, whether intentional for his own personal ambition or because he is corrupt like the rest of them.
He doesn’t represent most Mississippians. He represents his district, which is not representative of the state as a whole.

Reactions: peewee.sixpack

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Sometimes I wonder if our state would be better off if some natives who had left home long ago for other states would come back and just take over, wanting only for the state to succeed. Seems we just keep electing a punch of amateurs and/or corrupt politicians who keep holding us back.

No other reason for our state to come in last or next-to-last in so many measurables for so long. In particular I see Bennie Thompson's participation in the J6 committee and am embarrassed we elected such a POS. To me, he just doesn't seem to come remotely close to representing what most Mississippians think. I see him and always think, "what a useful idiot" he has become for Nancy Pelosi & the Dems. A pawn, whether intentional for his own personal ambition or because he is corrupt like the rest of them.

Honestly, I can't say I've been impressed with any of the Republicans either. Have won control most every year and don't seem to do much more than line their own pockets. or accumulate political power for themselves.

Bennie Thompson wins by huge margins in his district. He’s an African American Democrat politician who knows what strings to pull and get the money flowing to make certain people happy. He will be there until he doesn’t want to be there or dies.

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

vhdawg

Sep 29, 2004
The McDaniel camp has been working hard setting up his bid for Lt Gov. for a while now. McDaniel is getting a big push from the grassroots groups in MS and their influence is growing. He's going to appeal to MAGA voters and portray Delbert as a RINO. I still expect Delbert to win this race. I don't expect Delbert to be governor in a few years, though.
The only play in McDaniel's playbook is to call whoever he's running against a RINO and say they're not conservative enough. That's the one play. He literally appeals to idiots based on a standard he gets to set.

Reactions: MSUDOG24

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012

Well, part of the problem is that we have challenges that aren't due to bad policy, and part of the problem is that while voters might want different results, they don't want things to be different enough to get different results.

A lot of the things that need to be done or would be helpful would get politicians kicked out of office.

- Moving towards more of a low tax state would be helpful, but while eliminating the income tax sounds popular, living with the revenue of a seven percent sales tax creates would not be popular. There's a reason we haven't eliminated it, and it's because enough legislators can do enough math to realize they would have to cut into budgets that would be politically painful.

- School choice would help the significant portion of our state without good public school options, but we're well behind in the school choice movement even though if we were really as "red" as our voting looks, we'd be one of the leaders.

- Fixing PERS is pretty important for the state's future. But fixing PERS would involve something like ending PERS for new hires. Offering a deal to younger employees to voluntarily waive their PERS benefits in exchange for funded benefits, the not so implicit threat being get funded benefits now or take your chances with whatever haircuts are coming. Requiring that payments to PERS be set on an actuarial basis going forward, and having municipalities take out bonds to fund their funding shortfall. Figure out roughly how much of the shortfall can feasibly and fairly be made up, and also set up some sort of formula for how haircuts will be administered. And then fight the legal battles over the changes. No politician is going to survive that.

And of course none of those things are magic wands that would suddenly make it irrelevant that we don't have a big city in the state, we don't have a particularly well educated or skilled population, we don't have much in the way of natural resources outside of timber and farmland, which doesn't drive growth the way say significant oil and gas deposits can.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Delbert a RINO? That's hilarious.

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Delbert a RINO? That's hilarious.
Yea, I guess he is going to hang his hat on Delbert wanting to expand Medicaid. He's pretty doctrinaire otherwise as far as I know. I don't think he even likes economic development packages for big employers.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Bennie Thompson wins by huge margins in his district. He’s an African American Democrat politician who knows what strings to pull and get the money flowing to make certain people happy. He will be there until he doesn’t want to be there or dies.
Yep.

He's not had a good GOP challenger since Clinton LeSueur 20 years ago.
Yea, I guess he is going to hang his hat on Delbert wanting to expand Medicaid. He's pretty doctrinaire otherwise as far as I know. I don't think he even likes economic development packages for big employers.

McDaniel is remarkably one-note ^h^h robotically monotonous ^h^h consistently tedious when it comes to the idea that All Government Aid ≡ Evil
The only play in McDaniel's playbook is to call whoever he's running against a RINO and say they're not conservative enough. That's the one play. He literally appeals to idiots based on a standard he gets to set.

Typical Jones County right there. Loads of Jones Countians can't stand it when people in the Free State do well.

Maybe Mississippi should have let Newt Knight secede Jones County from it.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
If we all know what's best for us we'll easily elect TateR and Delbert again.

McDaniel sucks, as do all the other nimrod right-wingers who want to do the stupid sh*t he talks about doing. It's not 1988 anymore, and 1988 wasn't that great anyway.

/thread

Beretta.sixpack

Oct 29, 2009
He has the intention on running for governor, but I hope he doesn't....he is great where he is....couldnt be a more perfect fit....but do you remember why Gov Bryant removed him from the legislature and put him the commissioner of Ag? He also through a hissy fit about being able to open carry as his god given right to MSU/UM/USM sporting events....it was such a hissy fit that Greg Sankey had to openly say not a single SEC sporting event would ever be played in this state ever again if open carry were allowed at sporting events....so Bryant putting him as commissioner of AG and out of the legislature was the right move....he doesn't need to be Gov....

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login