Hayward no longer considering USC

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
One of the bigger recruits we were still in the running for. At one point we were considered co-favorites to land him. He will now be deciding between UT, UF, and...shocker...UGA.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
Malik Clark is announcing today, so hopefully we can pick him up.

muscleknight

Jan 20, 2022
With the portal you don't want to burn any bridges with any recruit. In a year or 2 he might want to beam in through the portal

Reactions: NCCocky

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
Mark Stoops is complaining that today's game requires the Head Coach to be more involved in fund-raising than in coaching. And he complained that he has to recruit his best players every year.

In my opinion, college football is broken.
It is broken. Irretrievably so, but nobody will say it, at least nobody with influence.

Saban wouldn't say anything meaningful until after he retired. Coaches may hate it, but they aren't willing to risk their opinion becoming a recruiting liability.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
Seeing reports of Malik Clark to FSU. That would really suck.

Oh, wow, that one hurts. He's from Rock Hill and we were trending for him. That makes all top 4 in-state recruits we missed out on this cycle.

Roosterbell

Jul 29, 2022
And Beamer was sold to us on the basis of being a great recruiter. SMH
I think between the 5 wins last year, negative recruiting, and loss of momentum have made it difficult for Beamer. It's urgent to pick up a few upsets this year to stem the tide. If he struggles the rest of this year and next to lock down top prospects in this state, holding onto this job becomes extremely difficult IMO.

gamecock stock

Jan 21, 2022
Our current class is ranked 25th in the nation and 11th in the SEC. Anyone who takes a look at the recruiting rankings of the Muschamp, Spurrier and what's available in the Holtz eras, will find that Beamer has been recruiting worse than any of the 3 since arriving to USC. I hear that our schedule is too tough to expect much that is good this season. Well, Beamer is not getting the job done in recruiting. This fan's opinion is that he better show that he can take the players he has this season and produce some "upsets". If he does not, that would beg the question: why are we keeping him around?

Reactions: Roosterbell

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
Our current class is ranked 25th in the nation and 11th in the SEC. Anyone who takes a look at the recruiting rankings of the Muschamp, Spurrier and what's available in the Holtz eras, will find that Beamer has been recruiting worse than any of the 3 since arriving to USC. I hear that our schedule is too tough to expect much that is good this season. Well, Beamer is not getting the job done in recruiting. This fan's opinion is that he better show that he can take the players he has this season and produce some "upsets". If he does not, that would beg the question: why are we keeping him around?

Yeah, can't really sugarcoat it. Recruiting is not going well.

I know we picked up that WR out of PA, but that's the only recruiting win we've had in.......I don't know how long.

Only way for Beamer to right the ship is to coach up and overachieve with a less talented roster. HAS to do something this year to stem the tide. Another sub-par this year and recruiting will continue to spiral down and the task then becomes next to impossible.

Gamecock Jacque

Joined Dec 20, 2020
Jan 30, 2022
Oh, wow, that one hurts. He's from Rock Hill and we were trending for him. That makes all top 4 in-state recruits we missed out on this cycle.
And there’s people on here who want Clemson in the SEC. If that happens why would in-state recruits choose us? Because of Beamer? Lol.

Reactions: 92Pony

Rogue Cock

Joined Sep 11, 2000
Jan 22, 2022
And there’s people on here who want Clemson in the SEC. If that happens why would in-state recruits choose us? Because of Beamer? Lol.
They often aren’t choosing us over them regardless……Adams for one. That’s one they wanted and came in late and got him after we led for more than a year.

gamecock stock

Jan 21, 2022
He wasn't sold to me.
I was not for him either. That is a case of the BOT should stay out of the hiring process (obviously I think it was a BOT decision; but don't know for sure). Lots of fans came here pushing for him based on his supposed recruiting abilities. I was vehemently opposed. I hope Beamer proves me wrong.

Maccmaine12

Joined Oct 19, 2020
Jan 31, 2022
This draft class is final yet. And in the last 3 recruiting cycles nobody recruited better than him at SC.

Atlanta Cock

Jan 18, 2022
I think between the 5 wins last year, negative recruiting, and loss of momentum have made it difficult for Beamer. It's urgent to pick up a few upsets this year to stem the tide. If he struggles the rest of this year and next to lock down top prospects in this state, holding onto this job becomes extremely difficult IMO.
I think he's not a good coach and kids see it.

Rogue Cock

Joined Sep 11, 2000
Jan 22, 2022
I was not for him either. That is a case of the BOT should stay out of the hiring process (obviously I think it was a BOT decision; but don't know for sure). Lots of fans came here pushing for him based on his supposed recruiting abilities. I was vehemently opposed. I hope Beamer proves me wrong.
Caslen and 2/3 of his supporters on the BOT. He got support from quite a few former players, was cheap, and they didn’t have to buyout a few coaches who remained on staff that had multi year contracts.

Reactions: gamecock stock

gamecock stock

Jan 21, 2022
Caslen and 2/3 of his supporters on the BOT. He got support from quite a few former players, was cheap, and they didn’t have to buyout a few coaches who remained on staff that had multi year contracts.
I got the clear impression from someone connected to the BOT - well before the decision, that it was Beamer. My heart sank. I know I will get slammed by some but, I wish they had left it to Tanner. Look at the VERY good hire he made in men's basketball. And we should never go bottom of the barrel cheap on the hire of a Head Coach. Sad. Maybe Beamer will work out. Hope so. We will know a lot more at the end of the season about Beamer.

Reactions: Rogue Cock

gamecock stock

Jan 21, 2022
This draft class is final yet. And in the last 3 recruiting cycles nobody recruited better than him at SC.
WRONG!!! Besides only one of his high school classes finished in the upper half (#7)of the SEC out of then 14 teams . We will see what he does on the field this season. It's an important season for him. I predict he will finish no worse than 7-5.

Last edited:

Lurker123

Jan 18, 2022

I am curious what you base that opinion on. According to rivals:

2022 was 26th
2023 was 17th
2024 was 31st

Is that really the best 3 year run? Or maybe we're saying that these results were a great job of overcoming hurdles?

gamecock stock

Jan 21, 2022

2022 was 26th
2023 was 17th
2024 was 31st

Is that really the best 3 year run? Or maybe we're saying that these results were a great job of overcoming hurdles?
And only one of his recruiting classes finished in the upper half of the SEC (#7 in the then 14-school SEC). I was given the impression by some here that he was going to do some magical things in recruiting. I'm still waiting.

gamecock stock

Jan 21, 2022

2022 was 26th
2023 was 17th
2024 was 31st

It's not. Just looking at the conference team ranking of high school prospects here at On3

Muschamp: 9,7, 7, 11, 8
Beamer 14,13,7, 10,11 (last 2 were 16-school conference). This season is not over yet. So, it's possible we could finish higher than 11 th. BUT, at this time............

I forget whether it was On3 or Rivals but, I found that Spurrier averaged a number 8 conference ranking during his ENTIRE time here.

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
We're losing ground. It's as with Multiple Myeloma. You live pretty normally for awhile - sometimes several years - and gradually you begin to lose ground - and finally, your decline accelerates and you go ahead and shoot through (in the Australian sense).

Alas, it appears that Beamer will be shooting through in the not too distant future. Only the timetable is yet to be determined.

It's not all his fault. College football has moved the cheese on him. He knows what it is and where it's hidden. He just doesn't have the means to get from where he is to where the cheese is.

Reactions: kidrobinski

gamecock stock

Jan 21, 2022
Available data on Holtz recruiting rankings:
02....4th in SEC
03....7th
04....10th

Spurrier recruiting rankings in first 5 years:
05......9th in SEC
06.....10th
07.....4th
08.....8th
09.....6th

Muschamp recruiting rankings:
16.......9th in the SEC
17.......7th
18.......7th
19......11th
20.......8th

Beamer recruiting rankings:
21......14th in the SEC
22.......13th
23.......7th
24.......10th
25........11th (thus far)

To say that nobody has recruited better than Beamer at SC is just flat out WRONG!!!! It's just the opposite. Beamer's recruiting trails his 3 most recent predecessors. Beamer is not getting the job done in recruiting, at least not like he was sold to South Carolina fans. Hopefully, he will coach up his talent and produce some upsets. I'm pulling for him, as are all Gamecock fans.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
02....4th in SEC
03....7th
04....10th

05......9th in SEC
06.....10th
07.....4th
08.....8th
09.....6th

16.......9th in the SEC
17.......7th
18.......7th
19......11th
20.......8th

21......14th in the SEC
22.......13th
23.......7th
24.......10th

To say that nobody has recruited better than Beamer at SC is just flat out WRONG!!!! It's just the opposite. Beamer's recruiting trails his 3 most recent predecessors. Beamer is not getting the job done in recruiting, at least not like he was sold to South Carolina fans. Hopefully, he will coach up his talent and produce some upsets. I'm pulling for him, as are all Gamecock fans.

I'm not sure who we are reasonably still in the mix for that will move the needle much on this class.

Reactions: HWGcock

gamecock stock

Jan 21, 2022
I'm not sure who we are reasonably still in the mix for that will move the needle much on this class.
If Beamer fails here, do you think the hiring authorities here have the "smarts" to study our history and hire a Head Coach who is similar in background with Head Coaches who have had at least a modicum of success here?

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
If Beamer fails here, do you think the hiring authorities here have the "smarts" to study our history and hire a Head Coach who is similar in background with Head Coaches who have had at least a modicum of success here?

Know who's kind of an up-and-comer? Casey Woods, son of Sparky Woods.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
He is Offensive Coordinator at SMU, producing the number 16 offense in the nation last year. He runs a balanced offense (40th rushing offense and 22nd passing offense).

I liked Sparky. He left here with class, unlike someone else.
He was also recruiting coordinator at Mizzou for their highest ranked ever recruiting class at that point in time.

To your question, though, I really don't know. I assume whatever they choose to do won't make sense.

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
We've crossed over the Rubicon to a new model, having been already mediocre in a more economical environment which will never return. Until and unless we fully assimilate the new model, Nick Saban in his prime couldn't help us.

kidrobinski

Jan 30, 2022
We're losing ground. It's as with Multiple Myeloma. You live pretty normally for awhile - sometimes several years - and gradually you begin to lose ground - and finally, your decline accelerates and you go ahead and shoot through (in the Australian sense).

Alas, it appears that Beamer will be shooting through in the not too distant future. Only the timetable is yet to be determined.

It's not all his fault. College football has moved the cheese on him. He knows what it is and where it's hidden. He just doesn't have the means to get from where he is to where the cheese is.
You and I have read the same book.

I feel sorrow for the younger folks who clutch to the naive precepts of college football past that weren’t really fully applicable then either. They both seek and expect that which they will not find. Way more than a Shane Beamer or a Nick Saban or a Knute Rockne will be required to get South Carolina on dry land.

Reactions: KingWard

Maccmaine12

Joined Oct 19, 2020
Jan 31, 2022

2022 was 26th
2023 was 17th
2024 was 31st

Good thing I don’t pay attention to the worst recruiting site. According to ON3 and 247, SC last 3 recruiting classes were better than any other coach for a 3 year stretch. And if we’re talking about recruiting, you do know when we were at our best in football was when Beamer was our recruiting coordinator? Before he left the last player he brought in the fold was Clowney.

Maccmaine12

Joined Oct 19, 2020
Jan 31, 2022
It's not. Just looking at the conference team ranking of high school prospects here at On3

Muschamp: 9,7, 7, 11, 8
Beamer 14,13,7, 10,11 (last 2 were 16-school conference). This season is not over yet. So, it's possible we could finish higher than 11 th. BUT, at this time............

I forget whether it was On3 or Rivals but, I found that Spurrier averaged a number 8 conference ranking during his ENTIRE time here.

02....4th in SEC
03....7th
04....10th

05......9th in SEC
06.....10th
07.....4th
08.....8th
09.....6th

16.......9th in the SEC
17.......7th
18.......7th
19......11th
20.......8th

21......14th in the SEC
22.......13th
23.......7th
24.......10th

Are we comparing conference rankings with Spurrier and Holtz when they were in a 12 team conference? Also, Beamer wasn’t spurrier recruiting coordinator?

gamecock stock

Jan 21, 2022
Are we comparing conference rankings with Spurrier and Holtz when they were in a 12 team conference? Also, Beamer wasn’t spurrier recruiting coordinator?
Beamer's average in his first 3 years was; 11th out of 14 teams (behind 79% of the SEC teams). For the past 2 seasons, he was 10.5th out of 16 teams (behind 66th of the SEC teams).

Holtz' average was 7th out of 12 teams (behind 58% of the SEC teams).

Spurrier's average was 7.4th out of 12 teams (behind 62% of the SEC teams). You don't seriously think recruits were coming to South Carolina to play for Shane Beamer, rather than for Steve Spurrier, do you? :LOL:

Muschamp's average was 8.4th out of 14 teams (behind 60% of the SEC teams)

The numbers show that Beamer's recruiting is actually WORSE than Holtz', Spurrier's and Muschamp's.

Reactions: Lurker123
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login