Hearing that Zac Selmon is a done deal for AD…

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
The best recent AD we’ve had, the Ninja had no MSU ties. Personally I don’t find that a necessity.
Ninja spent about two years as associate AD at State immediately before he succeeded LT.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if he were brought in to be the insider candidate.

Austin Powers Movie GIF

kired

Aug 22, 2008
I dot know about y'all but I dobt want an AD that doesn't aspire to something bigger and better.
Yeah, I don't understand the concern about a guy moving on after 5-6 years. Hell - we complain about politicians that don't have term limits but we want to hire an AD that will stay for the rest of his life? I hope he's successful enough here that bigger schools do come calling.

SteelCurtain74

Oct 28, 2019
I found this interview on YouTube with him talking about fundraising. No idea if he's going to be a home run, a swing and miss, or something in between, but I'm willing to give the guy my support.

Yeti

Feb 20, 2018
Only downside is experience and age. Yea he has experience but not years of it. He hasn’t run a department before. Seems to me the guy at Ga Southern was a better choice. But lord knows he is a upgrade over JC. Never will understand what Auburn saw there except someone who would take orders from the saw mill

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
This “We have to hire an alum” is such small minded thinking. I don’t give a damn where the person went to school. I just want to get the most qualified candidate in a national search. If we limit ourselves to only MSU affiliated people, we’re cutting off most of the people we could be hiring and will not necessarily get the best candidate. If it’s Selmon, he should get our full support.

patdog

May 28, 2007
This hire is for the short-term for fundraising purposes. I think it’s the most ill advised decision Keenum has made since becoming president. Selmon won’t be around for very long.
Typical small-minded Mississippi thinking that led us to hire every AD we've ever had not named Greg Byrne or Scott Stricklin. Fundraising is a pretty important part of the job. So what if he's gone in 5 years? It means he did a great job for us. Much better than hiring someone who never lived outside the Golden Triangle until he was 64 years old.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Typical small-minded Mississippi thinking that led us to hire every AD we've ever had not named Greg Byrne or Scott Stricklin. Fundraising is a pretty important part of the job. So what if he's gone in 5 years? It means he did a great job for us. Much better than hiring someone who never lived outside the Golden Triangle until he was 64 years old.
This guy checks a lot boxes for me as an AD mainly fresh mind. Outside guy. Money guy. We need a smart business minded guy in office in this day. Need someone who knows how to bring in money and improve fan experience.

TulsaLawDawg

Aug 24, 2012
Not worried about the deep personal-family ties to OU. So what if that’s his dream job - that’s a single program. Our last AD played/graduated/coached here and left to ginger U. If he’s here for three years, but improves us in the three, that’s a win.

dickiedawg

Feb 22, 2008
Probably nothing I can articulate. Just some combination of liking other candidates better and his youth/inexperience. Obviously his resume is impressive and we’d be lucky to have him in a different role. But in the big chair, I don’t know why you wouldn’t hire one of the candidates who has run an athletic department before, like Benko or Brian White (who supposedly the search firm/committee preferred).
I’m not saying we should have made a “safe” hire or someone with ties to MSU, but this just feels waaaay out of left field.
After sleeping on it and doing a little more reading, I feel a lot better about him. There are still some unknowns but if he comes in and raises a ton of money, the rest will take care of itself.
On the “he may bolt if he does well” aspect, that was never really a concern for me. If he does well enough to get a bigger job then it was a successful hire. And who knows, if he has his heart set on one particular job- OU- he may pass on other good jobs to wait that one out and be here longer than we expect.

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011
Ii

Yep! I’m from the old days when we didn’t put *** to indicate sarcasm but I understand the need since there are so many bad takes now days.
My whole message board purpose the last 2-3 weeks has been to question these takes. It’s been exhausting.

Reactions: Bully1972

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
I do not want the new guy to have ANY MSU ties. We need ideas from outside our box. If we go with MSU ties we end up with another Cohen. I still don't see what Auburn saw in him. Selmon probably has more experience as an athletic administrator than Cohen does NOW. He certainly has more than Cohen did when we hired him.

Reactions: FlotownDawg

Baddog11

Aug 28, 2013
So Riley left them for USC, then they made a hire who had zero head coaching experience(veneables), and by all accounts has been a complete disaster.

Reactions: rankindog86

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
So Riley left them for USC, then they made a hire who had zero head coaching experience(veneables), and by all accounts has been a complete disaster.
To be fair, Oklahoma’s roster was pretty much gutted after Riley left. He took their Heisman quarterback, one of their top receivers, and numerous other players left as well. Venables should be given a couple of years to recruit his players. Judging the hire based off this one season is short sighted.

Reactions: drumrcraig

Baddog11

Aug 28, 2013
Fair enough. This will be great SEC experience for Selmon. Get a couple of years of experience before Oklahoma joins the SEC. Whatever we can do to help.

Reactions: rankindog86

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022
Yeah Zac will do fine probably. I will support it. Sorry I had been drinking and was googling ‘Slade Nagle’ last night

Reactions: patdog

patdog

May 28, 2007
Yeah Zac will do fine probably. I will support it. Sorry I had been drinking and was googling ‘Slade Nagle’ last night
I'm sorry, but we just can't have an offensive coordinator named Slade Nagle. We just can't. If he legally changes his name, maybe.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
I’ll reserve judgment until I hear his opinion of the Chili Mac at the Ryan’s Buffe!

columbiadawg2

Feb 2, 2010
Big question: will he be doing color for the baseball broadcast on occasion like our previous AD?

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login