Here you go... I remember you guys were trying to discuss which truck you should buy, this looks good?

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Some of the comments are gold Jerry.

ETA - My super "woke" Tesla-driving son-in-law said, "Do you not like it because it doesn't look like a traditional truck?"

I said, "Well, that kind of defeats the purpose of buying a truck, to begin with, doesn't it?"

He is a software engineer who graduated from Texas A&M. What can you do?

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012

ETA - My super "woke" Tesla-driving son-in-law said, "Do you not like it because it doesn't look like a traditional truck?"

I said, "Well, that kind of defeats the purpose of buying a truck, to begin with, doesn't it?"

That thing is a tragic take on what a truck should look like. It's like Elon took one look at the Avalanche and the Honda Ridgeline and said "Hold my beer!"

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Some "common sense" environmentalists claim EVs - due to materials used, recharging, disposing of batteries, etc. - are not better than for the environment and have a 100k mike breakeven point (where they come better for the environment than ICEs) and that's not taking into account that batteries will have to bo replaced at some point.

What does the Pack say? Surely we have some automotive engineers on here.

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
Some "common sense" environmentalists claim EVs - due to materials used, recharging, disposing of batteries, etc. - are not better than for the environment and have a 100k mike breakeven point (where they come better for the environment than ICEs) and that's not taking into account that batteries will have to bo replaced at some point.

Here's some reading on it if you're interested. The short answer is EV's are better for the environment - kind of.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Here's some reading on it if you're interested. The short answer is EV's are better for the environment - kind of.

The way I see non-renewable natural resources is that they, collectively, are a fixed amount. People arguing to shift from one to the other are mostly just squeezing the balloon. That being said, it's not necessarily bad to consume different ones along the way and hope that technology catches up enough on some fronts to introduce new energy sources, or ways to obtain new access to energy sources.

CochiseCowbell

Oct 29, 2012
The way I see non-renewable natural resources is that they, collectively, are a fixed amount. People arguing to shift from one to the other are mostly just squeezing the balloon. That being said, it's not necessarily bad to consume different ones along the way and hope that technology catches up enough on some fronts to introduce new energy sources, or ways to obtain new access to energy sources.
So, Crop Rotation for the planet basically. That's a really good idea to my non-expert brain. The only problem, albeit a massive one, is the scale & getting everyone on board, when we're all competing.

WilCoDawg

Sep 6, 2012

That thing looks like what they would draw up for an EV back in the 80s.

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

M R DAWGS

Apr 13, 2018
Tesla is going to sell dozens of those. And stainless steel? WTH were they thinking.

Meanwhile, if Ford decided to produce these and kept the price to maybe $50k or so, they'd have a winner on their hands.

View attachment 308789
I agree, a standard transmission, basic truck with electric 4wd, no other frills besides AC and electric locks and Bluetooth would actually sell more than these engineers think. I’d love to have one.

The driver assistance, automatic shut off at stop and other garbage is just that.

But 50k is steep for such a vehicle. I’m thinking 35k, and they couldn’t stop selling them. Some folks just want a truck that will do truck things, not a luxury wagon.

BigDawg0074

Oct 12, 2016
I don’t think I would want an electric pickup due to long term dependability and all around utility. My truck should be my all-weather go-to mode of transportation that can haul everything I need in a pinch. I am still interested in an EV for commuting to work and running around town though. I love the idea of charging it at home and having a much less rigorous maintenance schedule for a daily driver.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Why do they insist on making electric vehicles look like total a$$.
Have you seen the crop of ICE vehicles lately? Car design in general has jumped the shark the last few years. But yeah, In general the electrics looks even worse.

Last edited:

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
Am I correct in the assumption that the quick chargers you see along the interstate are brand specific? There isn’t an industry standard charging plug? If so that’s the stupidest thing I’ve ever seen.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Am I correct in the assumption that the quick chargers you see along the interstate are brand specific? There isn’t an industry standard charging plug? If so that’s the stupidest thing I’ve ever seen.
Most aren’t brand specific, except Tesla. I think there about 2-3 other types of plugs & most charging stations have 2 cords, so you use the one that fits your car, kind of like the gas & diesel hoses at a regular gas station.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
I don’t think I would want an electric pickup due to long term dependability and all around utility. My truck should be my all-weather go-to mode of transportation that can haul everything I need in a pinch. I am still interested in an EV for commuting to work and running around town though. I love the idea of charging it at home and having a much less rigorous maintenance schedule for a daily driver.
Somebody is going to make a full size and 3/4 ton plug-in hybrid truck that you can go electric only for +/- 50 miles for daily commute and then have gas or maybe even diesel for longer trips and towing. It's going to be the hardest thing in the world to buy once they finally do it because so many people will be lining up to get it.

The argument from the straight EV crowd is "How often do you need to tow more than 100 miles or drive more than a few hundred?" My answer is not that often, but I do need that capability at times. Am I supposed to rent a gas truck for those occasions? Can you even rent a truck capable of towing more than 5,000 lbs?

The same type of question can be asked of the EV owners, "How often do you truly need your own car?" Couldn't you carpool, ride share, or take the 17ing bus to work every day? You need an EV less than I need my ICE truck.

For you mid size truck types, the Jeep Gladiator PHEV is rolling out next year. Built on the proven Wrangler 4XE platform that's 4 years old. We have the Wrangler 4XE and have had zero issues.

I personally don't know how much money you will save in the south though. Our gas is expensive (currently $3.93 a gallon for 87) and electricity is cheap ($.08/kwh) and we only save +/- $150 per month.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
Tesla chargers are the only ones I’ve seen anywhere near me. I’ll walk up and investigate next time I’m near one.

willi13

Sep 24, 2003
So I have a 1984 Ford pickup that I want restore. Can I make it an electric truck? Who would I see to make this happen?

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
Why do they insist on making electric vehicles look like total a$$.
Other than the Ford lightening (which is mostly just a regular F150), Rivian looks the least bad. The pickup kinda still looks like a plastic toy, but I actually really like the SUV.

1676134891668.png

1676134937795.png

Reactions: The Fatboy

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Somebody is going to make a full size and 3/4 ton plug-in hybrid truck that you can go electric only for +/- 50 miles for daily commute and then have gas or maybe even diesel for longer trips and towing. It's going to be the hardest thing in the world to buy once they finally do it because so many people will be lining up to get it.

The argument from the straight EV crowd is "How often do you need to tow more than 100 miles or drive more than a few hundred?" My answer is not that often, but I do need that capability at times. Am I supposed to rent a gas truck for those occasions? Can you even rent a truck capable of towing more than 5,000 lbs?

The same type of question can be asked of the EV owners, "How often do you truly need your own car?" Couldn't you carpool, ride share, or take the 17ing bus to work every day? You need an EV less than I need my ICE truck.

For you mid size truck types, the Jeep Gladiator PHEV is rolling out next year. Built on the proven Wrangler 4XE platform that's 4 years old. We have the Wrangler 4XE and have had zero issues.

I personally don't know how much money you will save in the south though. Our gas is expensive (currently $3.93 a gallon for 87) and electricity is cheap ($.08/kwh) and we only save +/- $150 per month.
A hybrid is way more practical in a truck. You can use the electric for short trips and easy towing and then use the ICE for towing/long trips.

patdog

May 28, 2007
A hybrid is way more practical in a truck. You can use the electric for short trips and easy towing and then use the ICE for towing/long trips.
A hybrid is way more practical for most people, but especially for a truck. Cheaper than full electric. Uses a fraction of the rare metals. Weighs a lot less than plug in hybrid & gets much better mileage when in gasoline mode. And cuts your carbon footprint by at least 50%.

BingleCocktail

May 25, 2014

functionality is a hard concept for the dysfunctional

at least he ain’t blood

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
You know this EV thing is pure ideology because the Hybrid is the actual answer to lowering CO2 output and having a true tow and distance capable vehicle. They are going after gas stoves and home heating right now. They want no fossil fuels at all and no livestock. They don't like gas of any sort.

patdog

May 28, 2007
You know this EV thing is pure ideology because the Hybrid is the actual answer to lowering CO2 output and having a true tow and distance capable vehicle. They are going after gas stoves and home heating right now. They want no fossil fuels at all and no livestock. They don't like gas of any sort.
Which might be fine for a goal for 80 years from now. But you’re not going to get there in 40 years or less like they’re pushing for without hurting a lot of people.

The Fatboy

Oct 18, 2005
A hybrid is way more practical for most people, but especially for a truck. Cheaper than full electric. Uses a fraction of the rare metals. Weighs a lot less than plug in hybrid & gets much better mileage when in gasoline mode. And cuts your carbon footprint by at least 50%.
My Hyundai Sonata has been a really great car. Worst trouble I have had was replacing the cooling system. Otherwise it's been pretty reliable and has saved me a ton in gas.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022

The short answer to your question is that there is an enormous front end environmental cost associated with large scale EV adoption, but it will drastically reduce over time as battery recycling starts to occur for all models. Battery recycling is currently possible for up to 100% of all batteries. The problem is that automakers haven’t yet figured out how to do it without losing money. But it can be done while salvaging a very large percentage of the rare earth materials that normally have to be mined from 3rd world countries

This is hurdle #2 that has to be overcome to support scaled EV production and usage over the long haul, one with probably a 10-15 year horizon to solve the problem. Hurdle #1 is upgrading the general electrical infrastructure which is more of a 7-10 year horizon.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login