Here's the thing I like about Arnett...

Chesusdog

May 2, 2006
he's had chances to leave every season and he has stayed. Dude is loyal within reason (I'm sure extra $$ didn't hurt). I'm glad we returned the favor.
Agreed. And that's another of the million things I love about Mike Leach. He brought in talent on his staff and kept it. Grew uncomfortably accustomed to the constant shuffle of defensive coordinators because no one could stand to work for Mullen. Leach treated his guys with respect and it shows. Now let's go get an OC from his tree and make him proud.

kired

Aug 22, 2008
It feels weird / insensitive to say this... all happening to soon... but I think the opportunity for him to coach this bowl game will be a huge benefit heading into next season. Sort of a dry run before the real thing next September. And I don't think the outcome will affect our opinion of Arnett either way (unless we pull off a 2010 gator bowl type beatdown)

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
For those who want more intensity...Hope it works out. Damn if all this didn't happen too quickly, but I understand. Hopefully he hires good a good OC who can guide us with a Leach-like air raid until we get the personnel for a new identity. I'm so used to having powerful running backs as a long-time State fan. But, I like the Air Raid now. Maybe a few more rushing attemps per game but it's grown on me. Hope he gets a good DC. RIP Leach. Hope another of your proteges adds to your legacy of producing good head coaches.

Hail State

Dec 27, 2009
he's had chances to leave every season and he has stayed. Dude is loyal within reason (I'm sure extra $$ didn't hurt). I'm glad we returned the favor.
I don't know guys. This is an extremely delicate situation that no other program has ever had to deal with before. And I understand the desire to want to keep the team and recruits intact. But I learned my lesson on hiring up and coming coordinators. We got lucky with Mullen, but got our *** burned with Moorhead. A proven head coach like Leach is what I'd like to see done. Take your time, hire an AD in January if you have to, and then make the hire. Maybe Arnett is the right guy. But this has Bracky Brett written all over it.

Call me crazy but I'd like to take a shot with Primetime. Dude is a hell of a recruiter, and anyone who can go 12-0 at Jackson State is a winner. He would jump at the chance to coach in the SEC, for the pay and the challenge. He is a proven competitor. Coaches have left programs before ever coaching a game, so it could be done. And if he goes belly up who could blame us? It's not like we fired Coach Leach and took a chance with Primetime. We have our backs against the wall. No one has ever had to deal with what we're dealing with. If you were ever going to make a hire like Deion, these are the circumstances you'd do it under. He'd come in on day one and have the locker room on fire.

Reactions: DAWGSANDSAINTS

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
I don't know guys. This is an extremely delicate situation that no other program has ever had to deal with before. And I understand the desire to want to keep the team and recruits intact. But I learned my lesson on hiring up and coming coordinators. We got lucky with Mullen, but got our *** burned with Moorhead. A proven head coach like Leach is what I'd like to see done. Take your time, hire an AD in January if you have to, and then make the hire. Maybe Arnett is the right guy. But this has Bracky Brett written all over it.

Call me crazy but I'd like to take a shot with Primetime. Dude is a hell of a recruiter, and anyone who can go 12-0 at Jackson State is a winner. He would jump at the chance to coach in the SEC, for the pay and the challenge. He is a proven competitor. Coaches have left programs before ever coaching a game, so it could be done. And if he goes belly up who could blame us? It's not like we fired Coach Leach and took a chance with Primetime. We have our backs against the wall. No one has ever had to deal with what we're dealing with. If you were ever going to make a hire like Deion, these are the circumstances you'd do it under. He'd come in on day one and have the locker room on fire.
There is really no obvious answer in this scenario. All choices have their risks here. All the fans can do is get behind whatever is decided and we will go from there. If it's a bust, it's a bust. S**T happens.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008

You said to, so I'm officially calling you crazy.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014

I agreed until prime time

Reactions: ThreeDawgNight

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017

It's all in the timing. Colorado JUST hired him. It'd be shiti of us to go after him (if that was ever a thought) and it would be even shitier on his part to walk out after just being hired.

Shmuley

Mar 6, 2008
Who is the OC? That's my question? Who does Keenum/Arnett go get? And how much do we throw at them?

And do we have to stick with air raid? Or can we go to legit RPO? Like something Wake runs?

Reactions: vandaldawg

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012

Prime was not coming as he just signed with Col and convinced many recruits to enter the transfer portal to Col

Other Kind

Oct 15, 2022

Yeah but it’s already a done deal. If it doesn’t work out we lost one of the best DCs in the country.

Moondawgg

Sep 30, 2022

You say you don’t like up and coming coordinators but instead suggest we go with an up and coming head coach.

Thinking Think GIF by Rodney Dangerfield

Dawg1976

Aug 22, 2012
Who is the OC? That's my question? Who does Keenum/Arnett go get? And how much do we throw at them?

And do we have to stick with air raid? Or can we go to legit RPO? Like something Wake runs?
You want me to get Keenum on the line for you?

DAWGSANDSAINTS

Oct 10, 2022
I agree with you but from what I’ve heard from AU sources we were a day or two away - like yesterday, Tuesday, from Arnett being announced as AU’s new DC.

Shmuley

Mar 6, 2008
You want me to get Keenum on the line for you?
Just take a message and deliver it to him from Shmuley: "Dear Senator Keenum, get your a s s to Winston-Salem and grab Ruggerio by the neck, tell him he's getting $1.5 million, rassle him onto CHKN 1 and fly his a s s to Starkville for the announcement."

mo7888

Oct 18, 2017

This is about continuity and building...he'll stick with the air raid... it'll evolve some to include more running as that was the direction CML was going...

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
I like this. He's never had a season as a coach that he didn't coach in a bowl game...

BOWL GAMES AS A COACH
2021 Liberty Bowl (Mississippi State)
2020 Armed Forces Bowl (Mississippi State)
2019 New Mexico Bowl (San Diego State)
2018 Frisco Bowl (San Diego State)
2017 Armed Forces Bowl (San Diego State)
2016 Las Vegas Bowl (San Diego State)
2015 Hawai’i Bowl (San Diego State)
2014 Poinsettia Bowl (San Diego State)
2013 Potato Bowl (San Diego State)
2012 Poinsettia Bowl (San Diego State)
2011 New Orleans Bowl (San Diego State)

TrueMaroonGrind

Jan 6, 2017
I’m just saying this has all the makings of a Matt Luke 2.0. Bracky Brett approved.
Cmon. Arnett is a proven DC and will for sure have the D in great shape. Matt Luke was an Oline coach. I get they are both assistants already on the team but they really aren’t that similar elsewhere. Arnett is a risk like any MSU hire. Matt Luke was a placeholder.

OopsICroomedmypants

Sep 29, 2022
Arnett is a defensive guy. Defensive head coaches bring a certain culture that I tend to like as long as they leave the offense to the offensive staff. I believe Arnett appreciated being allowed to be his own man as d coordinator and he’ll do the same for his o-coordinator. Win/win

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login