Here's the thing I like about Arnett...

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
I still think Luke was part of the self imposed probation penalty after Freeze left

EngDawg

Mar 29, 2016
I don't know guys. This is an extremely delicate situation that no other program has ever had to deal with before. And I understand the desire to want to keep the team and recruits intact. But I learned my lesson on hiring up and coming coordinators. We got lucky with Mullen, but got our *** burned with Moorhead. A proven head coach like Leach is what I'd like to see done. Take your time, hire an AD in January if you have to, and then make the hire. Maybe Arnett is the right guy. But this has Bracky Brett written all over it.

Call me crazy but I'd like to take a shot with Primetime. Dude is a hell of a recruiter, and anyone who can go 12-0 at Jackson State is a winner. He would jump at the chance to coach in the SEC, for the pay and the challenge. He is a proven competitor. Coaches have left programs before ever coaching a game, so it could be done. And if he goes belly up who could blame us? It's not like we fired Coach Leach and took a chance with Primetime. We have our backs against the wall. No one has ever had to deal with what we're dealing with. If you were ever going to make a hire like Deion, these are the circumstances you'd do it under. He'd come in on day one and have the locker room on fire.
I consider 3 years as an SEC coordinator better experience than 3 years as a SWAC HC.

Duggar Hall Desk

Mar 2, 2008
And do we have to stick with air raid? Or can we go to legit RPO? Like something Wake runs?
As a Wake fan, I would be on board with an RPO, but I don't think the MESH stuff that Wake runs will work in the SEC. The defenses in the SEC are too fast to give the QB that much time to make up his mind, IMHO.

That being said, I think Arnett is a good choice. Maybe it will work out, maybe not, but I'm on board.

Reactions: patdog

Hail State

Dec 27, 2009
That's one of the worst takes on this hire. I'm not saying Arnett is going to succeed or even have a better record than Luke, but Matt Luke represents everything that is wrong with Ole Miss.
Try again, fella. Hugh Freeze represents everything that is wrong with Ole Miss. Luke just didn’t have the qualifications for the job.

Reactions: WilCoDawg

lazlow

Jul 9, 2009
he's had chances to leave every season and he has stayed. Dude is loyal within reason (I'm sure extra $$ didn't hurt). I'm glad we returned the favor.
Haha.....he was loyal to Syracuse for what 11 days?,,,,I mean not that I blame him, but just saying. Any loyalty to a school from a coach is directly tied to $'s and whether or not he can win enough not to get canned, All coach's laid a turd on someone.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
Speaking of Syracuse, Shrader gets to go play at Yankee stadium in the Bad Boy Mowers Pinstripe Bowl

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Who is the OC? That's my question? Who does Keenum/Arnett go get? And how much do we throw at them?

And do we have to stick with air raid? Or can we go to legit RPO? Like something Wake runs?
I just hope Arnett isn't judged based on leach. And people say well that's not how Leach would have done it because he ain't leach and he might want to change things. I also hope he doesn't try to be just like leach because leach was leach. I do wonder how involved in the offensive philosophy he will be. Does he promote from within or do we go get a guy with experience being an OC like Harrell Littrell Riley. One of those guys. I like Littrell because he's been a head coach and that might help Arnett still focus on defense some if he's got a guy that can truly lead the offensive side of things.

Reactions: ThreeDawgNight

Joe Schmedlap

Aug 11, 2010
I’m just saying this has all the makings of a Matt Luke 2.0. Bracky Brett approved.
This was Mark Keenum decision, and given all the circumstances, it was the right decision on the part of balls of steel Mark Keenum. If this doesn’t work out, our next athletic director can make a change down the road. Make no mistake though - this was 100% Keenum and his strong leadership. He did what had to be done

UpTheMiddlex3Punt

May 28, 2007
Haha.....he was loyal to Syracuse for what 11 days?,,,,I mean not that I blame him, but just saying. Any loyalty to a school from a coach is directly tied to $'s and whether or not he can win enough not to get canned, All coach's laid a turd on someone.
He showed up there in January and noped his way out at the first chance of warmer weather

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
I think Arnett learned from Coach Leach how a head coach can depend on a Defensive Coordinator. He has to find the best OC he can come up with and flip the script that Coach Leach gave him. Once he does that I think we will be in good shape. That OC may come from inside the program (audition during the bowl game) or outside. I am very interested in who Arnett puts in the OC interim role for the bowl game.

Reactions: patdog

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Yeah I thought the same. He's loyal because no one came calling, and the main reason was that our defense wasn't considered great last year.

I seem to remember him talking to LSU too, but let's give him credit for not jumping on the Orgeron sinking ship. That means something.

But with all that said, he DID stay, and he also accepted our head job (which most know isn't easy). He may take another job next year if we win big, who knows, but right now, he's the RIGHT guy.

Lucifer Morningstar

Aug 30, 2022
As I said earlier in this same thread the decision is made. I do not understand the continued gnashing of teeth about this. We have our guy now, maybe not in the way any of us wanted, but Arnett is the guy now. I think we do a great service to CL by getting behind that 1000%. Who cares if Arnett will take another "better job" some day, or what jobs he did or did not try to get or interview for? None of that matters now. What does is fully embracing CA as our guy and doing everything we can as fans to help him succeed which really means in today's times letting him feel our love and support in terms of social media and then with buts in seats come next fall. I here a great number of folks on here saying that they never knew what they had in Leach, or they should have done more to support him. So you know what you do? Get on the Arnett train.

Reactions: Ranchdawg

Lucifer Morningstar

Aug 30, 2022
I’m just saying this has all the makings of a Matt Luke 2.0. Bracky Brett approved.

Usually I try to be funny or stay in the devil character to be nice and not get controversial. But if this is something you really believe then sir I have to say this is one of the worst takes I have ever heard. Now I am sure you will hit back so I better explain why right?

Reasons this is dumb:
1. Arnett is not some homer hire we made because he is one of us like OM did with Luke.
2. Arnett is a Rocky Long disciple. Don't know who that is? Only one of the most legendary defensive coaches on the west coast that was a great HC at SDSU.
3. Arnett is not some bumbling ex o-line coach that got lucky. He is considered a great young defensive mind in college football that we are honestly lucky stuck around. OM was not lucky Luke stuck around.
4. Arnett represents hard work and making something of himself in way Luke never did. Luke, like most OM ********, was pretty much handed everything where as CA has worked just like CL to make his name.

Comparing Matt Luke and Zach Arnett is not even close in terms of the type and quality of coaches they are, if you do not like the hire then just say that but please do not compare CA to fat boy Luke again because it is just plain dumb.

Last edited:

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
I think we have great shot at 10 games. Hell, if we catch fire and build momentum, we could win all 12. But another 8, possible 9 win season and a victory over OM and you can paint the whole season in Maroon and White.
9-3 and a loss to ole miss is a great season.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
I don't know guys. This is an extremely delicate situation that no other program has ever had to deal with before. And I understand the desire to want to keep the team and recruits intact. But I learned my lesson on hiring up and coming coordinators. We got lucky with Mullen, but got our *** burned with Moorhead. A proven head coach like Leach is what I'd like to see done. Take your time, hire an AD in January if you have to, and then make the hire. Maybe Arnett is the right guy. But this has Bracky Brett written all over it.

Call me crazy but I'd like to take a shot with Primetime. Dude is a hell of a recruiter, and anyone who can go 12-0 at Jackson State is a winner. He would jump at the chance to coach in the SEC, for the pay and the challenge. He is a proven competitor. Coaches have left programs before ever coaching a game, so it could be done. And if he goes belly up who could blame us? It's not like we fired Coach Leach and took a chance with Primetime. We have our backs against the wall. No one has ever had to deal with what we're dealing with. If you were ever going to make a hire like Deion, these are the circumstances you'd do it under. He'd come in on day one and have the locker room on fire.
This was done so Bracky didn’t have to make the hire.

It’s the absolute best outcome considering the situation.
We don’t hire Arnett and we are likely looking for an entire new staff in February after signing day. That’s a catastrophe.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022

Usually I try to be funny or stay in the devil character to be nice and not get controversial. But if this is something you really believe then sir I have to say this is one of the worst takes I have ever heard. Now I am sure you will hit back so I better explain why right?

Reasons this is dumb:
1. Arnett is not some homer hire we made because he is one of us like OM did with Luke.
2. Arnett is a Rocky Long disciple. Don't know who that is? Only one of the most legendary defensive coaches on the west coast that was a great HC at SDSU.
3. Arnett is not some bumbling ex o-line coach that got lucky. He is considered a great young defensive mind in college football that we are honestly lucky stuck around. OM was not lucky Luke stuck around.
4. Arnett represents hard work and making something of himself in way Luke never did. Luke, like most OM ********, was pretty much handed everything where as CA has worked just like CL to make his name.

Comparing Matt Luke and Zach Arnett is not even close in terms of the type and quality of coaches they are, if you do not like the hire then just say that but please do not compare CA to fat boy Luke again because it is just plain dumb.
I agree with most everything you said, but I would add - was Matt Luke really THAT bad?

One thing I'd like to challenge that guy @Hail State with, when he's trying to act as if this hire was terrible. Well, I seem to remember a few things:

- Ole Miss was generally fired up and ready to play under Luke;
- Ole Miss began suffering from Freeze's probation under Luke, which had eroded a lot of the recruits that Luke was playing with;
- In Luke's final year, he wasn't THAT bad....they weren't getting blown out;
- His recruits are who Lane Kiffin won with in 2020 and 2021;

I'm just saying, all these people who say Luke absolutely sucked keep forgetting about that probation aspect. The same people said Lane Kiffin sucked when he got sent packing at USC.......under probation.

I'm just amazed at how shallow-minded folks can be at times. Who is to say that Luke wouldn't have won in 2020, 2021 and 2022 when his recruits came of age? I mean the guy was the OL coach that won a national title. If I was him I'd get back into coaching and trying to give it another go.

Reactions: Ranchdawg
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login