Hey, do you need a crack pipe?

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
I know it’s not a good look and those machines will probably be destroyed within a month… but I don’t really have a problem with this. At least this is the city trying to do something about over dose and sharing of drug paraphernalia (I noticed the article said needles will likely be included in the future). I don’t look at this much differently than offering teens free birth control and condoms.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Harm reduction is an extremely important link in the path to reducing the 100,000+ overdose deaths we have in our country. I'm not sure why anyone would oppose this unless they somehow believe addiction should be a death sentence.
You forgot that we are all about helping "the least of these" unless it takes a dime out of our pocket directly, or indirectly via government programs.

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
You forgot that we are all about helping "the least of these" unless it takes a dime out of our pocket directly, or indirectly via government programs.
You're making the assertation that the best way to help thousands of drug addicts on the streets (mostly because of choices they have made in life, unfortunately) is to give them free and easier access to paraphernalia... and also wanting me to fund it with my tax dollars. Well sir, you can call me a meany all you want, but I respectfully disagree with every fiber of my being.

I'll keep giving to charity in my own ways, which are not that.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
You're making the assertation that the best way to help thousands of drug addicts on the streets (mostly because of choices they have made in life, unfortunately) is to give them free and easier access to paraphernalia... and also wanting me to fund it with my tax dollars. Well sir, you can call me a meany all you want, but I respectfully disagree with every fiber of my being.

I'm not sure why anyone would oppose this unless they somehow believe addiction should be a death sentence.

Reactions: FQDawg

ronpolk

May 6, 2009

Nothing wrong with that at all… but I think you can also admit that the status quo is not quite working either. More and more drugged out homeless people spreading diseases and overdosing. I’m not saying this is the correct way or that it will lead to anything positive, but it’s at least an attempt to do something rather than sit back and continue to do nothing.

Reactions: FQDawg
Aug 15, 2011
I don't think placing stuff out there like this is the most helpful to an addict. To me, it's like the government is encouraging a continuation of a REALLY bad habit that often leads to death. On the other hand, placing addicts in prison typically doesn't help either and can in fact make it worse. We really need good mental health/recovery facilities that would help folks get off these drugs. I'd rather see my tax dollars go to that than a lot of things our government wastes it on. Also, major drug dealers and cartels should be thrown in the deepest hole found and never see the daylight again. Those guys profit off of human suffering.

CochiseCowbell

Oct 29, 2012
I don't think placing stuff out there like this is the most helpful to an addict. To me, it's like the government is encouraging a continuation of a REALLY bad habit that often leads to death. On the other hand, placing addicts in prison typically doesn't help either and can in fact make it worse. We really need good mental health/recovery facilities that would help folks get off these drugs. I'd rather see my tax dollars go to that than a lot of things our government wastes it on. Also, major drug dealers and cartels should be thrown in the deepest hole found and never see the daylight again. Those guys profit off of human suffering.

A sanitorium?

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Chapelle Crack GIF - Chapelle Crack Free Crack GIFs
Mood Laughing GIF - Mood Laughing Davechapelle GIFs
Molorant Ckaz GIF - Molorant Ckaz Huh GIFs

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012

Where did I assert it was "best"? Are you making an assertion that you know how to "best" handle the situation.

Reactions: dorndawg

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
I don't mind government programs spending money on victims of addiction. I don't think we are doing a good job keeping illegal and dangerous drugs out of our country. Making overdose drugs available through a machine sounds like we've given up on the source of our problems and are just trying to put BandAids on an arterial bleeding wound

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
I don't mind government programs spending money on victims of addiction. I don't think we are doing a good job keeping illegal and dangerous drugs out of our country. Making overdose drugs available through a machine sounds like we've given up on the source of our problems and are just trying to put BandAids on an arterial bleeding wound
I think that it is a complex problem for which I have no answers. Unfortunately, we won't find answers because we are so highly politicized that there is literally nothing of substance that can be discussed in this country without some labeling it and vilifying it from one political angle or the other. All of these issues require the acceptance of some amount of nuance, compromise, and a desire for the greater good of the country as a whole. Most folks have been so thoroughly indoctrinated that the other side is evil that critical thinking about anything is not happening. My side is either for it or against it. Any discussion starts and ends there.

Jul 5, 2020
When did all you Darwinists stop believing in natural selection??
Never believed in it, but I gained even more empathy when a friends' son in his early 20's died of accidental overdose in college from fentanyl when they took what they thought was Adderall from a friend. Also, despite what you might think, not everyone who has a drug (including booze, the most insidious drug) addiction is a lost cause. ETA- I'd rather have Narcan and test strips flooding the streets than making it difficult to get, given that fentanyl kills in minutes.

CochiseCowbell

Oct 29, 2012
I think that it is a complex problem for which I have no answers. Unfortunately, we won't find answers because we are so highly politicized that there is literally nothing of substance that can be discussed in this country without some labeling it and vilifying it from one political angle or the other. All of these issues require the acceptance of some amount of nuance, compromise, and a desire for the greater good of the country as a whole. Most folks have been so thoroughly indoctrinated that the other side is evil that critical thinking about anything is not happening. My side is either for it or against it. Any discussion starts and ends there.

This is unfortunately true. And I think it's by design.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
You're correct about the overall issue. But I'm worried more about heroin, fentanyl, etc., not pot or drugs that are possible compromise candidates.

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
I would like to point out that the only reason I responded to your first post in this thread was because you basically called out (thinly veiled though it was) conservative Christians for professing publicly to care for the unfortunate, while secretly only caring about money (paraphrasing). I took offense at that notion and responded. Just wanted to clear that up, since you mentioned how we can't discuss any topic without politicizing it. I agree with that assessment, by the way, and apologize for my part in it. I hate that every OT thread turns political.

Reactions: WilCoDawg

FQDawg

May 1, 2006
I don't disagree with most of this take but we've been fighting the "War on Drugs" for, what, four decades now? Most people who are experts on that topic (and not just talking heads or yahoos on a message board) say it's been a failure. I'm not saying we should give up trying to keep drugs out - but if anything, I think we need to get more creative and be willing to try solutions that do have nuance and aren't just "drugs are bad, m'kay."

But I also think trying to keep drugs out of the country and making overdose drugs available on the street are two different things and that we can do both (or at least attempt to). I don't think trying to help the street level problems means we've given up trying to stop the higher level problem.

Last edited:
Reactions: dorndawg

WrapItDog

Aug 23, 2012
From NY Post

City officials’ new drug-themed vending machine is a huge hit with local addicts — who wasted no time cleaning it out overnight as they stocked up on its free crack pipes, lip balm and Narcan.

“Yes, I love it,” drug user Evelyn Williams told The Post while standing at the “public health” vending machine in Brownsville, Brooklyn, on Tuesday. “They put it in yesterday, and it’s empty already.

By 1 p.m., a drug-prevention-program worker was starting to restock the machine with more drug-test strips, Narcan and condoms — predicting the vending machine could need to be refilled “maybe twice a day, depending on which items go quite quickly.’’

“We have a lot of addicts and heroin users over here,” Williams said. “They should re-stock it immediately!”

Self-described crack smoker Minoshi Calpe, 56, had walked away with the second-to-last product in the vending machine — a fentanyl test strip — around 11 a.m. while sniffing that the glass used for the free pipes might not be up to her standards.

“I like the Pyrex because it’s a little thicker,’’ she said, also lamenting that “you can’t even sell that [vending stuff] because the programs give you all that stuff” already for free.

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
Never believed in it, but I gained even more empathy when a friends' son in his early 20's died of accidental overdose in college from fentanyl when they took what they thought was Adderall from a friend. Also, despite what you might think, not everyone who has a drug (including booze, the most insidious drug) addiction is a lost cause. ETA- I'd rather have Narcan and test strips flooding the streets than making it difficult to get, given that fentanyl kills in minutes.
Despite what I might think? WTF? I'm the one saying I think there are better ways to help the addicted than giving them free access to crack pipes. I give money and time and have helped several addicted people in my life personally. In fact I may know the kid you're talking about and his dad, for whatever that means. I wouldn't have given any of those people I know personally a crack pipe. Because that would not help them get over their addiction, unsurprisingly.

Narcan distribution is another matter. I was talking about our tax dollars handing addicts free crack pipes.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Yet for Sudafed in MS, "A person purchasing a medication containing pseudoephedrine or ephedrine without a prescription has to be at least eighteen years old, sign a record for each purchase and provide a copy of their Mississippi ID". That only started last year after Tater signed a law that previously required a prescription to get it at all........

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
I don't disagree with most of this take but we've been fighting the "War on Drugs" for, what, four decades now? Most people who are experts on that topic (and not just talking heads or yahoos on a message board) say it's been a failure. I'm not saying we should give up trying to keep drugs out - but if anything, I think we need to get more creative and be willing to try solutions that do have nuance and aren't just "drugs are bad, m'kay."

But I also think trying to keep drugs out of the country and making overdose drugs available on the street are two different things and that we can do both (or at least attempt to). I don't think trying to help the street level problems means we've given up trying to stop the higher level problem.
The War on Drugs was BS. I don't know how we can fix that problem. We should do something more than grandstanding to the media. I would prefer if we could do anything about the trafficking of drugs into the country than within but we have a horrible track record.

peewee.sixpack

Nov 4, 2014
I don't agree with providing crack pipes and lip balm but absolutely have no problem with NARCAN. It saves lives and contrary to what many believe it's not only for your perceived idea of an addict is (homeless, thug, low life loser, etc.). I was in this same category of thinking until this time last year when I found out my teenage daughter was an addict. One post above mentioned taking it all and selling it in Florida. You wouldn't have to travel that far, you could sell it in Gluckstadt, Madison, Ridgeland, NW Rankin, Brandon, Pearl and Clinton all you want. Our youth are under attack and it is affecting all races and social classes. It is funny this topic came up b/c I made a post on a hunting forum yesterday that I would like you to read and get informed. Take this post how you want it but I pray it helps someone that maybe in my family's situation.

Last memorial day weekend my daughter went to a party and got a hold of a vape that was laced with fentanyl. Took a couple weeks before my wife and I put together everything b/c we weren't ever around the drug scene but almost immediately my daughter started declining in health and appearance. Long story short I was able to get her into a treatment facility in Tx and she is currently 10 months sober, just graduated high school with a 3.93 gpa and plans on studying behavioral health and phycology at Troy University. I say this as I want to give the parents here some advice and our experience.

1) If you don't think your teenager would ever dabble into this world and is never around it your as NAIVE as I was. It is everywhere in multiple forms and kids have very easy access to it. I worked with a Narc with the MS Bureau of Narcotics to get the dealer busted and learned a lot. The sad part is the majority of the parents that do find out say nothing b/c they don't want to ruin the kids/family reputation. The dealer was 17, went to a local HS and had clients as far as 50 miles away and attended parties in multiple counties every weekend to distribute and pick up clients.

2) Trying to get a kid into rehab for middle class Americans is damn near impossible. This is why so many teenagers are dying. Once the psychiatrist discovered what drug my daughter was hooked on he immediately recommended long-term treatment and told us that in MS there were only a couple options for teenagers and if we weren't on Medicaid or rich we couldn't afford it. Turns out there wasn't a bed available for a teenage female in MS, TN, LA, AR, MO or AL that was in my insurance network or out of network.

3) Working with my insurance I finally found two places that would accept her in Tx. If you learn nothing else from my post remember this: PRINT OUT EVERYEMAIL AND RECORD EVERY CONVERSATION WITH YOUR INSURANCE COMPANY. After my daughter left rehab last fall BC/BS sent us a bill for $107,000 stating we went to an out of network facility. Our BC/BS Tx caseworker put us in that facility and stated it was in network. All your emails you receive from the insurance will be encrypted and non retrievable down the road. Luckily my wife is a hell of a notetaker and took down folks names, numbers etc. She has spent hours getting it straightened out and we had to threatened to go to the state insurance commission.

4) As a parent you will need therapy too. Find a Al Anon group and find a place that provides family intensive therapy. Don't think you can beat it alone. My wife and I had a very strong relationship and it almost broke us. Addiction affects the whole family. By the grace of God our marriage is still strong as we rely on the Lord as our rock but it could have very easily ended in a disaster.

5) Turn to God and realize your fixing to find out who your TRUE friends are. Your teen and your family will be blackballed from invites you used to routinely get invited too. Folks you think of as friends will talk about you. Luckily I had and still have some friends that stepped up to the plate, laid hands on us and blessed us as we were going through this (many wont be blessed to have this experience.

6) Lastly LOVE YOUR CHILD. They are going to say things that hurt you beyond anything you could imagine. The drug controls their brain and it is not in their heart. I drove 7.5 hours every weekend to visit my daughter for a 2 hour time period while she was in rehab from Jul - Sep. Many times it was turn and burn b/c staying in a hotel every weekend got too expensive. I still don't agree with all her decisions right now but from where we were at this time last year we are in a lot better place relationship wise and I LOVE HER.

If you know someone going through this please help them. You can pray for them, cook them a meal, cry with them, listen to them, give them some money if your blessed enough etc. etc.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
I would like to point out that the only reason I responded to your first post in this thread was because you basically called out (thinly veiled though it was) conservative Christians for professing publicly to care for the unfortunate, while secretly only caring about money (paraphrasing). I took offense at that notion and responded. Just wanted to clear that up, since you mentioned how we can't discuss any topic without politicizing it. I agree with that assessment, by the way, and apologize for my part in it. I hate that every OT thread turns political.
It was not thinly veiled. I see "my tribe" as knee jerking against any spending by government to help people who are less fortunate because that "woke liberal Democrat stuff". I see daily, proclaiming Christians who are a whole lot more animated about who they hate for political reasons than who they love for reasons of following Christ. I've made a personal decision to no consume any media, or consider opinions, that serve to make me hate my fellow man. It simply isn't Biblical.

IF I could legitimately point people to my church, or any church, and believe that they would have the programs in place to help them, THEN I would believe that we need way less government help. Bottom line is that if we christians had been doing our job, the very need for government help would be reduced. I'm not saying that churches don't do some good things, but if you want to understand how lacking it is, do this before your next business meeting. Check the poverty rate in your immediate area, translate the to numbers and get a rough idea of what it would take to provide food for 25% of those in poverty. When you get your church financial statement, check the balance on your benevolence fund against your calculation.

Unfortunately, within my contemporaries, and sometimes myself, I see a default to selfish ambition and preservation of personal wealth over helping those less fortunate. I also see that often culture wars win out over following Christ. I'm not accusing you, or anyone else specifically, just observing and commenting hoping to provoke thought.

Jul 5, 2020
Despite what I might think? WTF? I'm the one saying I think there are better ways to help the addicted than giving them free access to crack pipes. I give money and time and have helped several addicted people in my life personally. In fact I may know the kid you're talking about and his dad, for whatever that means. I wouldn't have given any of those people I know personally a crack pipe. Because that would not help them get over their addiction, unsurprisingly.

Narcan distribution is another matter. I was talking about our tax dollars handing addicts free crack pipes.
I'm glad that we agree on the addiction issue. The crack pipe thing is dumb, but I really read over that to the Narcan and strips, which should be ubiquitous as soon as possible. We might be talking about the same person, but the sad part is that we're very likely not. And, the things that are being introduced into the supply now make fentanyl seem gentle. It's the first thing that has ever given me existential fear for my childrens' lives.

Reactions: Darryl Steight

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
From NY Post

City officials’ new drug-themed vending machine is a huge hit with local addicts — who wasted no time cleaning it out overnight as they stocked up on its free crack pipes, lip balm and Narcan.

“Yes, I love it,” drug user Evelyn Williams told The Post while standing at the “public health” vending machine in Brownsville, Brooklyn, on Tuesday. “They put it in yesterday, and it’s empty already.

By 1 p.m., a drug-prevention-program worker was starting to restock the machine with more drug-test strips, Narcan and condoms — predicting the vending machine could need to be refilled “maybe twice a day, depending on which items go quite quickly.’’

“We have a lot of addicts and heroin users over here,” Williams said. “They should re-stock it immediately!”

Self-described crack smoker Minoshi Calpe, 56, had walked away with the second-to-last product in the vending machine — a fentanyl test strip — around 11 a.m. while sniffing that the glass used for the free pipes might not be up to her standards.

“I like the Pyrex because it’s a little thicker,’’ she said, also lamenting that “you can’t even sell that [vending stuff] because the programs give you all that stuff” already for free.

I can't imagine how they will keep it stocked. I can imagine an angry addict cremating that machine when it is empty of what they want.

Jul 5, 2020
From NY Post

I would strongly reconsider relying on the NY Post for anything other than a sad laugh or Page Six gossip.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
It was not thinly veiled. I see "my tribe" as knee jerking against any spending by government to help people who are less fortunate because that "woke liberal Democrat stuff". I see daily, proclaiming Christians who are a whole lot more animated about who they hate for political reasons than who they love for reasons of following Christ. I've made a personal decision to no consume any media, or consider opinions, that serve to make me hate my fellow man. It simply isn't Biblical.

IF I could legitimately point people to my church, or any church, and believe that they would have the programs in place to help them, THEN I would believe that we need way less government help. Bottom line is that if we christians had been doing our job, the very need for government help would be reduced. I'm not saying that churches don't do some good things, but if you want to understand how lacking it is, do this before your next business meeting. Check the poverty rate in your immediate area, translate the to numbers and get a rough idea of what it would take to provide food for 25% of those in poverty. When you get your church financial statement, check the balance on your benevolence fund against your calculation.

Unfortunately, within my contemporaries, and sometimes myself, I see a default to selfish ambition and preservation of personal wealth over helping those less fortunate. I also see that often culture wars win out over following Christ. I'm not accusing you, or anyone else specifically, just observing and commenting hoping to provoke thought.

If you see people not wanting to give crack pipes to addicts and your first thought is they're being selfish and unchristian, I cannot stress to you how much that is a you issue.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login