Hey Good Portal QB, come to MSU...

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
because one of our best WRs just declared and our other good WR is transferring to LSU.

Great day to be a dawg.

Reactions: Trojanbulldog19

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
But I was told a couple years ago we wouldn't lose our best players to the elite schools with NIL and free transfers were passed.
These out-of-staters are definitely gonna be gone as soon as the opportunity is there.

I hope we've got all the guys from MS that left the state as high schoolers on speed dial. Because those guys, P5 bench warmers, and G5 standouts are going to be about the best we can do in the portal.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Who do you NOT want to go to LSU? It's that guy.

bulldoghair

Jul 9, 2013
But I was told a couple years ago we wouldn't lose our best players to the elite schools with NIL and free transfers were passed.
All the people who said that are not logical and are obviously oblivious. Here’s all it did, the elite schools cherry pick our players that turn out to be good, and then we cherry pick and do the same to the north Texas and USM types. All it did was help out the blue bloods to fill in their recruiting misses and also allow other people to develop their future players better for them to buy later. The richer get richer and poor get poorer, and the talent gap between the three tiers of schools gets wider.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Well. technically, if we lose our best WR and replace him with someone from LA Monroe, that is flipping our roster. **
I'm convinced now, more than ever, that we absolutely must complete rethink most everything we do with MSU football. And it sucks too, because we had the right idea with Leach, but the mouth-breathers outnumbered everyone when it came to decision-making when he died, and we've high-tailed it in the other direction. We're now trying to compete in NIL and big time recrootin, rather than scheming and determining our players in a more innovative way.

Maybe Lebby will do that, I don't know if he's got a plan or not. Same with Selmon. I know they like youth, and all that is cool, but how will we maintain?

Last edited:

RockyDog

Jan 2, 2023
I'm convinced now, more than ever, that we absolutely must complete rethink most everything we do with MSU football. And it sucks too, because we had the right idea with Leach, but the mouth-breathers outnumbered everyone when it came to decision-making when he died, and we've high-tailed it in the other direction. We're now trying to compete in NIL and big time recrootin, rather than scheming and determining our players in a more innovative way.

Maybe Lebby will do that, but from what I've seen/heard, Lebby seems like another Moorhead.
Leach filled our roster with wide receivers and in turn our RUNNING BACK set the school record for receptions. We had a 2-3 deep of very average receivers in which none stood out. Sure, with the right QB, in 2 or 3 more years Leach may have built something but let's not act like he had a great roster. Give Lebby a chance before you turn him into that doofus Morehead. He's inheriting Crooms level talent, but thank the lord the portal exists to try and help in that regard.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Leach filled our roster with wide receivers and in turn our RUNNING BACK set the school record for receptions. We had a 2-3 deep of very average receivers in which none stood out. Sure, with the right QB, in 2 or 3 more years Leach may have built something but let's not act like he had a great roster. Give Lebby a chance before you turn him into that doofus Morehead. He's inheriting Crooms level talent, but thank the lord the portal exists to try and help in that regard.
Agree on Lebby/Moorhead, and I edited that.

But 2-3 more years is what we were building for under Leach. We're going to have to do that sort of thing. We have to be plug and play with lesser players, and once the train gets rolling, talent starts upgrading, especially on offense.

RockyDog

Jan 2, 2023
Agree on Lebby/Moorhead, and I edited that.

But 2-3 more years is what we were building for under Leach. We're going to have to do that sort of thing. We have to be plug and play with lesser players, and once the train gets rolling, talent starts upgrading, especially on offense.
I get what you are saying. But we were building for years 4 and 5 of a system under a 20+ year tenured head coach.

Lebby isn't even 40 and is tasked with trying to win in the best league in the game that just expanded adding 2 more powerhouses. Even at MSU, he's not going to have the luxury of waiting to win. He's got to build a team, build excitement, and restore a stagnant fanbase that was slowly starting to fade out of the seats in the stadium.

The death of Leach followed by the atrocious decisions of Arnett led the program into a spiral that we couldn't afford to not address with excitement. I just don't think playing for 2025 is the vision of anybody in MSU leadership given the lack of enthusiasm in the stadium this past season.

Reactions: OG Goat Holder

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009

Maybe Lebby will do that, I don't know if he's got a plan or not. Same with Selmon. I know they like youth, and all that is cool, but how will we maintain?
I feel like you think we should rethink things?

Maybe it seems like you think we should get create and think outside the box?

Nov 20, 2023
These out-of-staters are definitely gonna be gone as soon as the opportunity is there.

I hope we've got all the guys from MS that left the state as high schoolers on speed dial. Because those guys, P5 bench warmers, and G5 standouts are going to be about the best we can do in the portal.
I Hope somehow your wrong and excitement builds around the program and new Coaching staff and somehow it doesn’t get that bad… notice I said hope.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I Hope somehow your wrong and excitement builds around the program and new Coaching staff and somehow it doesn’t get that bad… notice I said hope.
Not gonna happen immediately. For right now, we have to do those things I mentioned. Lebby doesn't bring the name cache, and neither does MSU. Like it or not, we're still developmental. The guys we lose to the portal, we simply have to replace with guys out of the portal. We aren't landing the stars unless they are from in-state.

And meanwhile, we're busy changing up our logos from the most successful time in our history. It's mind-boggling.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
Not gonna happen immediately. For right now, we have to do those things I mentioned. Lebby doesn't bring the name cache, and neither does MSU. Like it or not, we're still developmental. The guys we lose to the portal, we simply have to replace with guys out of the portal. We aren't landing the stars unless they are from in-state.

And meanwhile, we're busy changing up our logos from the most successful time in our history. It's mind-boggling.
We have to become a shiny object immediately. I know it's easier said than done, but that's what attracts these kids.

Reactions: Darryl Steight

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
We have to become a shiny object immediately. I know it's easier said than done, but that's what attracts these kids.
Well let's get specific about that - what does it look like?

- Rock concerts for press conferences? Cool
- Young guy who is a slick talking player's coach? Cool
- Active on social media? Cool

What else? We need players to be good, so what can we do immediately? Shiny uniforms? I like that idea, but we never do it.
I don't know, I see a long term approach as the best way to shine the longest, although it may not be immediate.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
Well let's get specific about that - what does it look like?

- Rock concerts for press conferences? Cool
- Young guy who is a slick talking player's coach? Cool
- Active on social media? Cool

What else? We need players to be good, so what can we do immediately? Shiny uniforms? I like that idea, but we never do it.
I don't know, I see a long term approach as the best way to shine the longest, although it may not be immediate.
Add a functional offense to that list.

• Love

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Add a functional offense to that list.
Agree but pretty much everybody has that now. I go back to Mullen - it took years for us to develop a true big time offense (2014 was really the first year). Leach was going to be the same way - functional for a few years, then eventually build up.

I'll agree though that it was fun to watch MSU football in 2009 and 2010, but that was compared to Croom.

Reactions: DawgsNCowboys87

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
Agree but pretty much everybody has that now.
Not so sure about that. In the West - Bama, LSU, OM... yes. The others, not so much. UGa, UT sure... but no one else in the East.

Before I saw 360's post, I was going to post the same thing: to be attractive, we have to have an offense. I hate it because I've always believed in the "defense wins" philosophy, but Offense sells tickets (and gets recruits.) We can do that here. Lebby seems to be focused on WRs, so I assume we plan to throw it around. That's a good start to "shiny". We need to add a stud RB in this cycle - if Lebby can somehow get Daniel Hill's attention, that would be one great answer.

I know we need several OL too, so they have to address that.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Not so sure about that. In the West - Bama, LSU, OM... yes. The others, not so much. UGa, UT sure... but no one else in the East.

Before I saw 360's post, I was going to post the same thing: to be attractive, we have to have an offense. I hate it because I've always believed in the "defense wins" philosophy, but Offense sells tickets (and gets recruits.) We can do that here. Lebby seems to be focused on WRs, so I assume we plan to throw it around. That's a good start to "shiny". We need to add a stud RB in this cycle - if Lebby can somehow get Daniel Hill's attention, that would be one great answer.

I know we need several OL too, so they have to address that.
Fair points, and I guess the proof will be in the pudding. I have my doubts that Lebby can do what Mullen did. Mullen had other attributes other than just offensive prowess.

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
Fair points, and I guess the proof will be in the pudding. I have my doubts that Lebby can do what Mullen did. Mullen had other attributes other than just offensive prowess.
I'm actually more worried about my last comment... I firmly believe Lebby will get some playmakers in here. I just hope we have someone recruiting OL and that our OL coach was the right hire.

Oh, and I agree with your comment about Mullen. The guy is/was really good at organization, overseeing the whole team, kicking ***, calling out when needed, etc. He was made to be an assshole head coach. Hope JL has some of that too.

BigDawg0074

Oct 12, 2016
Y
All the people who said that are not logical and are obviously oblivious. Here’s all it did, the elite schools cherry pick our players that turn out to be good, and then we cherry pick and do the same to the north Texas and USM types. All it did was help out the blue bloods to fill in their recruiting misses and also allow other people to develop their future players better for them to buy later. The richer get richer and poor get poorer, and the talent gap between the three tiers of schools gets wider.
You’re not wrong but you left one key thing out. The players get better opportunities for the work they put in. That was the main point anyway. Meanwhile we get to kick back and talk crap just like we always have.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login