Hines Returning!

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
We had the pitching at the end of the season. We were likely just missing two good infielders, third and second, with .280+ batting averages to return to the MCWS. Maybe just one.

Bobby Ricigliano

Jul 27, 2011
Huge addition. Let’s see what happens with Mershon, but we suddenly are starting to feel like a top 10 pre season team:

If we make the CWS next year, it’ll only be because Lemonis allowed our players to regress enough to not get drafted high, thus preventing a total rebuild
Now, Gautreaux will unleash the beast & get him to back off the plate per Bruce’s recommendation. Genius!

leeinator

Feb 24, 2014
Now, Gautreaux will unleash the beast & get him to back off the plate per Bruce’s recommendation. Genius!
Yeah there were too many times where he let good fastballs squarely down the middle go by, and then swung at nasty sliders in the dirt to strike out. Pretty much same issue with Jordan. Needs to develop that Will Clark mentality.....speaking of Will.....wish Lemonis would bring him in for a couple of week sessions to work with players like Hines.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Again, believe what you choose. He turned down 7-8 round money to return.

and no way in hell are we top 10 pre season unless it’s on name alone. We lost all 3 weekend starters and 4-5 starters. We’ll be picked 4th in the west behind Arkansas, Texas am and LSU.

Last edited:

patdog

May 28, 2007
Again, believe what you choose. He turned down 7-8 round money to return.

and no way in hell are we top 10 pre season unless it’s on name alone. We lost all 3 weekend starters and 4-5 starters. We’ll be picked 4th in the west behind Arkansas, Texas am and LSU.
There probably won’t be an SEC West but otherwise yeah. Pretty clear he had a hard number that no one wanted to meet. Next years team is shaping up to be a tournament team. But nowhere near a top 10 team.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Welp, I was taught at an early age that if one cannot say something positive, then one should not say anything at all . . . . . .
I kind of remember being taught that but I don't think it stuck with me

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: BulldogBlitz

HumpDawgy

Apr 6, 2010
I'll admit I was pretty shocked that his name wasn't even called in the draft. Hopefully, he can have a bounce back year at the plate next season and we get to watch him break Palimero's HR record.

Me too. Especially after hearing he was doing well at the MLB draft combine. Geautreaux needs to step it up and work with Hunter to work out his flaws.

Also, the draft showed we had a lot of talent on our roster that MLB teams wanted. Kinda reinforces my feelings on our poor coaching staff. I think they can bring in talent, but are weak on the teaching fundamentals and gametime decisions. I know......I'm Captain Obvious.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Mersh is signing with the angels. He is done with lemon
I'd be shocked if he didn't sign. He wouldn't have made that X post (that his dad had to come explain) if he didn't have one foot out the door.

However, I don't think he got the draft feedback he wanted. Same with Hines. Let's not pretend that these guys don't want to go pro - they do.

Reactions: MSBamaWard

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Also, the draft showed we had a lot of talent on our roster that MLB teams wanted. Kinda reinforces my feelings on our poor coaching staff. I think they can bring in talent, but are weak on the teaching fundamentals and gametime decisions. I know......I'm Captain Obvious.
I think it's the opposite. This turnaround was due to one man - Justin Parker. 8 of the 11 drafted were pitchers. If you can pitch, you'll never have a bad team, always have a chance. When you don't, see 2022 and 2023. And I don't even know that our talent was elite, we just did a great job of getting the most out of them.

This team simply couldn't hit. Subpar talent in the lineup. That's why we took so many chances on the basepaths.

Lemonis' recruiting from 2021-2023 was just bad, bad, bad. I'm still holding out hope that he woke up and has now overhauled his approach, but I doubt it. I would imagine next year will be a year similar to this one, we won't hit, but we'll make a regional because our pitching will still be pretty good. And we'll all be bltching like it's 2006.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
I'd be shocked if he didn't sign. He wouldn't have made that X post (that his dad had to come explain) if he didn't have one foot out the door.

However, I don't think he got the draft feedback he wanted. Same with Hines. Let's not pretend that these guys don't want to go pro - they do.
Hines and Mershon not the same. Mershon badly wants to go, but didn’t get drafted at a slot that makes sense for him to go. He still may go, but it would be silly for him to go, he should definitely come back but may not.

Hines had no issues coming back. Wanted high round money. Didn’t get what he wanted, never budged. Going to soak in the nil, home run record, get a degree.

If Hines was truly ready go, he takes 7/8 round money and goes. Mershon in round 18 is probably one of those where his price kept dropping in hopes someone would take it… problem is it dropped so far he really should come back

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Me too. Especially after hearing he was doing well at the MLB draft combine. Geautreaux needs to step it up and work with Hunter to work out his flaws.

Means we are getting guys to campus with mlb tools on the pitching side of things….. and we aren’t getting them here on the hittting side of things.

Parker has helped with polish, but guys like Holcombe getting drafted so high and even dohm when he barely pitched… shows how valuable the tools are and matter over the results in some cases

Reactions: stateu1

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
. Mershon in round 18 is probably one of those where his price kept dropping in hopes someone would take it… problem is it dropped so far he really should come back
was that lower than expected for Mershon? I don’t know what else you want in a middle infielder, but I don’t claim to have any insight or understanding of what MLB teams value for that position.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Hines and Mershon not the same. Mershon badly wants to go, but didn’t get drafted at a slot that makes sense for him to go. He still may go, but it would be silly for him to go, he should definitely come back but may not.

Hines had no issues coming back. Wanted high round money. Didn’t get what he wanted, never budged. Going to soak in the nil, home run record, get a degree.

If Hines was truly ready go, he takes 7/8 round money and goes. Mershon in round 18 is probably one of those where his price kept dropping in hopes someone would take it… problem is it dropped so far he really should come back
Mershon is 21 and isn't likely to get much more next year than this year. It's time to make baseball a full-time year-round job if he ever wants a shot at the majors. Hines is making an investment in himself that may pay off big time a year from now.

Reactions: Msuirondawgs

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
was that lower than expected for Mershon? I don’t know what else you want in a middle infielder, but I don’t claim to have any insight or understanding of what MLB teams value for that position.
I didnt think he’d be a high pick… but think he thought or hoped he’d be higher.

Reactions: jethreauxdawg

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Mershon is 21 and isn't likely to get much more next year than this year. It's time to make baseball a full-time year-round job if he ever wants a shot at the majors. Hines is making an investment in himself that may pay off big time a year from now.
I don’t disagree. Mershon isn’t the prototypical big league short stop, so that will always hurt his draft vslue

Reactions: patdog

MStateDawg

Aug 3, 2021
We had the pitching at the end of the season. We were likely just missing two good infielders, third and second, with .280+ batting averages to return to the MCWS. Maybe just one.
If Dohm would have stayed healthy, we would've been be likely would have been an Omaha club regardless of the lineup. A healthy Dohm means Khal Stephen (one of the best 3 or 4 starters in the SEC) is your Saturday guy and Loo would have been the best Sunday starter in the country. Those three guys as starters would have deepened the bullpen as you wouldn't have to save as many arms for Sunday. If we'd been 3 games better in the SEC (20-10), we would've been a top 8 seed.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
If Dohm would have stayed healthy, we would've been be likely would have been an Omaha club regardless of the lineup. A healthy Dohm means Khal Stephen (one of the best 3 or 4 starters in the SEC) is your Saturday guy and Loo would have been the best Sunday starter in the country. Those three guys as starters would have deepened the bullpen as you wouldn't have to save as many arms for Sunday. If we'd been 3 games better in the SEC (20-10), we would've been a top 8 seed.
The assumption with this is that dohm would have been successful as a starter. Much like the assumption was Landon sims would have been a successful Friday night guy. Good or even great relivers don’t always make good or great starters.

much like sims, dohm should have been left in the pen… but it’s likely we didn’t know how good our other 2 arms were going to be

MStateDawg

Aug 3, 2021
The assumption with this is that dohm would have been successful as a starter.
We saw Dohm thru the first 4 weeks of the season and he was excellent (4-0 with a 1 something era). Even if he had dropped of from there and just been average, him eating up innings would have really helped out our bullpen. A bullpen which blew several key games late.

Reactions: Darryl Steight

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Those guys get moved to 2B
Yep they do, and other places. Even then. There are usually 1 of those on a roster for every mlb team with that type of skill set. Size and lack of power will be an issue for him and like someone else said, those aren’t things he can improve in a season, he sorta is what he is… which is why I think he hoped he’d get drafted higher

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
We saw Dohm thru the first 4 weeks of the season and he was excellent (4-0 with a 1 something era). Even if he had dropped of from there and just been average, him eating up innings would have really helped out our bullpen. A bullpen which blew several key games late.
We were playing high school teams early in the season, but we can disagree. A healthy dohm isn’t a Omaha type difference maker

patdog

May 28, 2007
We were playing high school teams early in the season, but we can disagree. A healthy dohm isn’t a Omaha type difference maker
He would have helped. But at the end of the day, it doesn't matter how elite your pitching is, you have to be able to hit at least a little. And we just couldn't.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login