Hines Returning!

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
Again, believe what you choose. He turned down 7-8 round money to return.

and no way in hell are we top 10 pre season unless it’s on name alone. We lost all 3 weekend starters and 4-5 starters. We’ll be picked 4th in the west behind Arkansas, Texas am and LSU.
Agree on pre season ranking. Lineup is starting to look better but pitching is a huge question mark.

Hines is not a perfect player by any means but he is the type of player that can make a huge impact on a college team. An older guy like that with potential for 20+ home runs will be nice to have in the middle of the order.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
I saw an article when I was looking up something for Hines and it said he is CT Bradford’s brother in law. Is that true?

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
Not very many 5-9 shortstops with limited power in the big leagues.
Just because they are looking for more HR’s? His arm seems good, or is it lacking by MLB standards?
Side topic: I wonder if the new pick-off rules, which are leading to more stolen bases, will change MLB in the future and start seeing teams lean back more towards small ball.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Just because they are looking for more HR’s? His arm seems good, or is it lacking by MLB standards?
Side topic: I wonder if the new pick-off rules, which are leading to more stolen bases, will change MLB in the future and start seeing teams lean back more towards small ball.
He’s not a big league short stop. It’s what mlb scouts have to do when they turn in a scouting report, they have to turn in a big league comp, which means a player that is currently in the big leagues that fits his profile… and there really isn’t one at the shortstop position.

I mean I’m not dogging the guy, but he hasn’t been our opening day shortstop yet. He was beaten out for the job by a Forsyth and a freshman… he earned and dirt bagged his way into the job which he deserves tons of credit for….

there are guys 6-2 with more power that have his skill set. It’s just going to be an uphill climb for him. Doesn’t mean he won’t or can’t make it… but you don’t see guys like him drafted in the top 5 rounds.

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
He’s not a big league short stop. It’s what mlb scouts have to do when they turn in a scouting report, they have to turn in a big league comp, which means a player that is currently in the big leagues that fits his profile… and there really isn’t one at the shortstop position.

I mean I’m not dogging the guy, but he hasn’t been our opening day shortstop yet. He was beaten out for the job by a Forsyth and a freshman… he earned and dirt bagged his way into the job which he deserves tons of credit for….

there are guys 6-2 with more power that have his skill set. It’s just going to be an uphill climb for him. Doesn’t mean he won’t or can’t make it… but you don’t see guys like him drafted in the top 5 rounds.
And I’m not disagreeing, I just don’t know. Probably surprises the board to find a topic I’m not an expert on.

Reactions: Darryl Steight

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Geautreaux needs to step it up and work with Hunter to work out his flaws.

Kinda reinforces my feelings on our poor coaching staff. I think they can bring in talent, but are weak on the teaching fundamentals and gametime decisions. I know......I'm Captain Obvious.
Geautreaux has failed Hunter and others, his job is to improve them from day 1 on and Hunter hasn't gotten any better hitting and matter of fact has regressed some. He hit .300 in '22, .297 in '23 and .257 in '24. HITS, he had 63 in '22, 60 in '23 and 64 in '24. RBI's 52, 61 and 56. HR 16, 22, and 16. Strike Outs is the dramatic one 58, 64, and 74 . I'd trust Hunters dad to fix him more than Gautreaux, dads been working on that swing and hitting since he was old enough to pick up a bat

Reactions: patdog

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
And I’m not disagreeing, I just don’t know. Probably surprises the board to find a topic I’m not an expert on.
Not saying I am either, but I was once told when you see a player you need to see a comp.

when I see Jordan: I see Lorenzo Cain, ron gant, Marcel ozuna, I see Reggie sanders…I can easily name guys that reminds me of his game in the bigs.

same for Hines. Adam Dunn. Chris Duncan. And tons of other lefty platoon guys…

I just can’t do that with Mershon.

Reactions: jethreauxdawg
Oct 17, 2023
Welp, I was taught at an early age that if one cannot say something positive, then one should not say anything at all . . . . . .
If that was enforced DS would have to get rid of his kitchen and bathroom big screens because of lack of posts and responses on here.

QuadrupleOption

Aug 21, 2012
This team simply couldn't hit. Subpar talent in the lineup. That's why we took so many chances on the basepaths.
Sort of yes, sort of no.

We dropped a LOT of games, including one to Virginia, because our pitching didn't hold up. Even with that, we were a top 20 team and had a shot at hosting.

If we'd been just a TOUCH better, pitching-wise or hitting, we host and probably make at least a Super Regional and everyone is happy.

Reactions: stateu1

maroonmania

Feb 23, 2008
Mershon is 21 and isn't likely to get much more next year than this year. It's time to make baseball a full-time year-round job if he ever wants a shot at the majors. Hines is making an investment in himself that may pay off big time a year from now.
True, but he could make NIL bank this year and still get about the same signing bonus next year. So that's 2 paydays versus one. And that's about all most of these guys are going to get is either the NIL they make in college or the signing bonus from MLB. 95% of these guys in the draft will never sniff the major leagues and especially a guy drafted in the 18th round.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
True, but he could make NIL bank this year and still get about the same signing bonus next year. So that's 2 paydays versus one. And that's about all most of these guys are going to get is either the NIL they make in college or the signing bonus from MLB. 95% of these guys in the draft will never sniff the major leagues.
I think many of you overestimate the NIL these guys get.

Reactions: HuntDawg and patdog

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
True, but he could make NIL bank this year and still get about the same signing bonus next year. So that's 2 paydays versus one. And that's about all most of these guys are going to get is either the NIL they make in college or the signing bonus from MLB. 95% of these guys in the draft will never sniff the major leagues.
Not sure what a guy like Mershon is worth nil wise though. They way I’ve heard most nil money is dispensed im not sure he’s getting in that big of a pay day

maroonmania

Feb 23, 2008
Not sure what a guy like Mershon is worth nil wise though. They way I’ve heard most nil money is dispensed im not sure he’s getting in that big of a pay day
I'm sure he would be offered the biggest NIL package to stay of any player we have on our baseball team for next year but no, I don't know exactly what that would be since NIL deals are not made public. He would likely be our best hitter playing the most important defensive position. He would certainly be worth whatever we can pay because he would make the most difference in our team next year.

Reactions: mcdawg22

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
I'm sure he would be offered the biggest NIL package to stay of any player we have on our baseball team for next year but no, I don't know exactly what that would be since NIL deals are not made public. He would likely be our best hitter playing the most important defensive position. He would certainly be worth whatever we can pay because he would make the most difference in our team next year.
I disagree. Starting pitchers and difference maker bats are usually the biggest nil getters. Plus he can’t leverage going anywhere else and was nowhere close to being the top nil guy on the team last year… he’s not going to get Dakota Jordan money to come back to college.

while I’m not exactly sure what he is or isn’t getting… i know the general range and how the hierarchy typically works.. and I feel very confident he isn’t our top nil guy and confident that the number he is getting isn’t anything close to what he would be getting if he were drafted inside the top 10 rounds

that said if he’s truly wanted back and some extra is needed to get him back, some people can sweeten the pot….it has been done before… that’s how Jordan was gotten back…. But again I don’t see Mershon has in that league and Jordan was already on a hefty nil prior to entering the portal

Last edited:

maroonmania

Feb 23, 2008
I disagree. Starting pitchers and difference maker bats are usually the biggest nil getters. Plus he can’t leverage going anywhere else and was nowhere close to being the top nil guy on the team last year… he’s not going to get Dakota Jordan money to come back to college.

while I’m not exactly sure what he is or isn’t getting… i know the general range and how the hierarchy typically works.. and I feel very confident he isn’t our top nil guy and confident that the number he is getting isn’t anything close to what he would be getting if he were drafted inside the top 10 rounds

that said if he’s truly wanted back and some extra is needed to get him back, some people can sweeten the pot….it has been done before… that’s how Jordan was gotten back…. But again I don’t see Mershon has in that league and Jordan was already on a hefty nil prior to entering the portal
I would agree that he probably wasn't a top NIL guy this past season because he hadn't proven much yet and wasn't a guy that passed up a bunch of money to come to college (like DJ did). But he hit .347 this past season at SS with 6 HRs. Our other middle infielder options for next season likely won't be even close to that. And what known stud pitcher do we have that would warrant a big NIL deal? Pico? We don't really have one.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
I would agree that he probably wasn't a top NIL guy this past season because he hadn't proven much yet and wasn't a guy that passed up a bunch of money to come to college (like DJ did). But he hit .347 this past season at SS with 6 HRs. Our other middle infielder options for next season likely won't be even close to that. And what known stud pitcher do we have that would warrant a big NIL deal? Pico? We don't really have one.
It’s about the people coming in. It took nil money to get those guys here. Mershon didn’t even enter the portal, so he honestly has nothing to leverage. Won’t argue, but he isnt getting a big nil pay check from us, nothing to warrant the two pay day mentioned.…. Actually nothing even close to that…. People think starters making 6 figures from nil and that is the farthest thing from the truth.

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
I was telling my wife the other day how of all the guys I played with before I got to pro ball the few guys that got Major League playing time were players like Mershon. Casey Candaele and Mike Brumley were both middle infielders and were able to play in the outfield. They were valuable utility players to teams to fill in for other positions to give the starting players some rest.

I did play with Neal Heaton when I was 14-16 who did pitch in the MLB.

Reactions: patdog

maroonmania

Feb 23, 2008
It’s about the people coming in. It took nil money to get those guys here. Mershon didn’t even enter the portal, so he honestly has nothing to leverage. Won’t argue, but he isnt getting a big nil pay check from us, nothing to warrant the two pay day mentioned.…. Actually nothing even close to that…. People think starters making 6 figures from nil and that is the farthest thing from the truth.
Understand, and I don't want to argue either but his leverage is obviously give me a good deal or I will take whatever the Angels will give me and start my pro career. I don't really see a difference in that vs him being in the portal.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
18th round draft picks don’t get paid much. Therefore he’s not going to have the leverage

if he had entered the portal it could have been pay me or I’ll go play with elsewhere… and he could and would had many options to help bid up the price…. 18th round isn’t gojng to do that

but again players aren’t making anything close to what is being insinuated

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
Not saying I am either, but I was once told when you see a player you need to see a comp.

when I see Jordan: I see Lorenzo Cain, ron gant, Marcel ozuna, I see Reggie sanders…I can easily name guys that reminds me of his game in the bigs.

same for Hines. Adam Dunn. Chris Duncan. And tons of other lefty platoon guys…

I just can’t do that with Mershon.
So you've never heard of Craig Biggio, Steve Sax, or Joe Morgan. Got it.**

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
So you've never heard of Craig Biggio, Steve Sax, or Joe Morgan. Got it.**
Those are comps from days gone by. Irrelevant in today’s game.

but if you think Mershon games translates to Craig biggio or Joe Morgan. Then not much I can do for you.

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
Those are comps from days gone by. Irrelevant in today’s game.

but if you think Mershon games translates to Craig biggio or Joe Morgan. Then not much I can do for you.
Obviously you missed English class the day the teacher taught about sarcasterisks.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I was telling my wife the other day how of all the guys I played with before I got to pro ball the few guys that got Major League playing time were players like Mershon. Casey Candaele and Mike Brumley were both middle infielders and were able to play in the outfield. They were valuable utility players to teams to fill in for other positions to give the starting players some rest.

I did play with Neal Heaton when I was 14-16 who did pitch in the MLB.
Ie Adam Frazier

Reactions: Msuirondawgs

Msuirondawgs

Mar 18, 2023
If your'e comparing David to anyone's size at the SS position, just see Jett Williams(our recruit that went 1st round 2 yrs ago)... Same size roughly. It can be done although the Mets may move him to 2nd.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login