Holiday Bowl just got cancelled tonight

Bulldog from Birth

Jan 23, 2007
So at what time today does it become assured that we will get to play the Liberty Bowl? Would feel like we have crossed that point….but I guess you never know until we kick off.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
I feel like we kick off in a couple hours so I feel like all the testing was done this morning.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Question I have....who is paying for this? Who is paying back the sponsors or the bowl execs? Are they just **** out of luck? Are the TV networks eating the loss?

Hump4Hoops

May 1, 2010
I've been more nervous about COVID testing than Tech this week.

I think we have to have crossed that point now though... maybe.

Really unlucky that bowl season collided with the sudden jump of omicron. I feel like if the bowls were a few weeks later, protocols for the current state of the virus would have had time to change. I really hope it's all sorted before NFL playoffs start.

It feels like the current state of omicron is, "Look to your left. Look to your right. Two of you have covid, and none of you are symptomatic."

Last edited:

QuaoarsKing

Mar 11, 2008
It should be noted that UCLA is canceling because their starting DL is out. They have walk-ons who could play, as well as other defensive players who could move over. UCLA is in much better shape than we were against Georgia last year.

Chip Kelly just doesn't want to get a loss without some of his starters. What an ***.

QuaoarsKing

Mar 11, 2008
Question I have....who is paying for this? Who is paying back the sponsors or the bowl execs? Are they just **** out of luck? Are the TV networks eating the loss?

This year is the watershed moment for the bowls. In 10 years we won't have any non-playoff postseason games. It's becoming very clear that the schools and players don't care and see them as a glorified scrimmage, and it's going to be worse when sponsors start pulling out.

Every single team that has canceled this year could have played but chose not to. Nobody has the heart that we did in 2020.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
This year is the watershed moment for the bowls. In 10 years we won't have any non-playoff postseason games. It's becoming very clear that the schools and players don't care and see them as a glorified scrimmage, and it's going to be worse when sponsors start pulling out.

Every single team that has canceled this year could have played but chose not to. Nobody has the heart that we did in 2020.
Agree completely with this, and your other post below.

WilCoDawg

Sep 6, 2012
Why did we require teams to vaccinate if this is what’s still going to happen?

PirateDawg

Jan 9, 2020
I thought one team was down to 39 players. At any rate, I don't agree that non FCS games are looked at like scrimmages. You and others may feel that way but I've been watching the games and these kids are playing their hearts out. Turn on the Air Force vs Louisville game.

Hump4Hoops

May 1, 2010
It's not just the total player #s, it's position groups that are killing teams.

When you have literally no linemen that are allowed to suit up on one side of the ball, you essentially are forced to cancel.

QuaoarsKing

Mar 11, 2008
I thought one team was down to 39 players. At any rate, I don't agree that non FCS games are looked at like scrimmages. You and others may feel that way but I've been watching the games and these kids are playing their hearts out. Turn on the Air Force vs Louisville game.

I may be being a little harsh on Hawaii, but they still should have done their best to play something. They could have used a running clock if the score got out of hand.

Every other canceler was nowhere near as bad off though. They just didn't want to play.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
I may be being a little harsh on Hawaii, but they still should have done their best to play something. They could have used a running clock if the score got out of hand.

Every other canceler was nowhere near as bad off though. They just didn't want to play.
Texas A&M was the worst offender. They cancelled like 10 days before their game.

QuaoarsKing

Mar 11, 2008
When you have literally no linemen that are allowed to suit up on one side of the ball, you essentially are forced to cancel.

It wasn't literal though. There were plenty of Bruins on the roster willing to play DL tonight, but Chip didn't want to.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Conspiracy smoke: there were only 3 bowls not being aired on the ESPN family of networks: Holiday (Fox), Sun (CBS), & Arizona (Barstool).

Holiday: Cancelled
Arizona: Cancelled
Sun: Almost cancelled and needed a replacement team.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login